LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:02 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Hey guys,

So I finally got the pics of the luv organized. There are a lot of them so sorry if it takes a long time to load. Here's the cosmetic work I've done on it since I got it (08/21/2010).

This is how the luv looked when I first brought it home.

EXTERIOR

I had already started painting the bed when I took these.

Before pic of the Bed.

And after pics.

The lady who I bought it from's son left the truck in neutral and it rolled down a hill and hit a stump...

The only mirror that was on it :lol:

Some rust holes here and there, but the tires were good. :)

INTERIOR

Had about 170,000 miles on it.

Dash cluster.

Speaker holes that were cut in the 80's. Terrible placement for them too; window hits the speaker in the door so it doesn't go down all the way. :(

The dash is HORRIBLE! I still need to replace it. Hopefully I'll have some money when ctmandu finishes up the fiberglass ones. :D

No rear view mirror or passenger visor. Still looking for a visor too...

Always had to bring a jug of coolant with me, the radiator was clogged bad and it overheated sometimes. :econfused

Paint I used for the bed. Good stuff, but it was expensive...

Slopped a bit, but oh well. I'm gonna repaint it anyways. :lol:

Holes where mirrors were.

PROGRESS

I had to bang out the front bumper with a sledge hammer, lol :lol:

I tore off the old seat covers and any remaining remnants of the original seats.

Afterwards, I pulled out the seat and ripped up the old shag carpet and painted the inside of the cab with the same Hammered finish paint I used for the bed. (Sry, horrible pics, and I forgot to take pics after finishing :? )

After getting it all back together I painted the front bumper and headlight bezels black.

I put rust neutralizer on the rust holes to turn them black, then Bondo'ed them.

I also got a "new" tailgate from the junkyard. The old one had nearly rusted off. :lol:

I put one of the old seat covers back on and put the shag back in (couldn't afford nice stuff yet...). Also bought floormats and a center console organizer thing. lol

When I painted the entire interior with the Hammered paint, I also painted the doors and put duct tape over the gaping speaker holes.

I decided to turn the entire interior black, so this is a before picture of the roof (light blue).

I experimented with different door setups. I didn't like this one at all.

I finally ordered a seat cover. Looks a whole lot better to me. :ebiggrin

I did a lot of rattle canning before this pic. I sprayed the tail light holes black, the three vent holes by the doors black, and the handles, key holes, and the engine compartment also. These are pics after I brushed the primer on.

I finally decided that I'd spray the entire doors with black also. I bought some speakers to fill the awful holes in the door panels too. :ebiggrin

Here is the "after" pic of the roof. I used industrial sized sharpies to 'color' the vinal black. lol :lol:

The final product of the interior. I decided to keep the blue shag since it matched the seat covers so well, lol. I think it looks alot better than before. :) Haha, I was playing music from my ipod through the original tape deck. I might sell the tape deck for cheap if anyones interested. :lol:

The load of crap I've collected in the bed. Need to clean it out, lol.

I slopped a bit all over the rear bumper. I'll have to put another coat of bedliner on it.

The wheel wells were a horrible white-ish brown color that clashed with everything else. So i put a coat of black Rubberized Under-Coating to make it look better. Apparently deadens sound too.

Here it is with the first coat of actual paint. I like it alot better than the white. :D

Engine compartment after paint.

Unfortunately, right after this is when I discovered the head gasket leak...

Here is how it sits today. It smokes bad, but I'll start the mechanical work soon (see head gasket thread).

I painted the mirrors black also. But ugh, I kinda wish I hadn't brush painted the luv. There are brush strokes and runs in it. I originally decided that I'd brush paint it since the previous owner had brush painted it white already. Oh well, I'll sand it down and do it right eventually...

Yesterday I installed a DVD player head unit that I had from my last car. The wiring was a little difficult. I ended up running a direct wire (with a fuse midway) from the fuse box to the dvd unit. Besides that though, it was pretty straight forward. Sorry about the crappy pics, lol.

Well thats just about all the work I've done on it so far. I still need to install a new head gasket and head, but cosmetically its just about done (minus a few finishing touches here and there). As soon as ctmandu finishes up those dash boards I'll buy one of those too and buy a grill while I'm at it, lol. I also gotta polish up the wheels, or if I ever get money, put some black rims on it or something. Haha, that'd really finish up the job. :ebiggrin

Hope you enjoyed it and please comment about anything I should've done or should still do.

,Brian

Attachments:
File comment: My last project. "Before" Pic.
SL380001-1.jpg
SL380001-1.jpg [ 146.01 KiB | Viewed 4887 times ]
File comment: "After" pic
IMG_0038-1.jpg
IMG_0038-1.jpg [ 155.31 KiB | Viewed 4887 times ]

2002 Mazda B4000 4x4
1978 Chevy LUV - Sold :(
1990 Kawasaki EX500
2008 Yamaha TTR230
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:05 am 
da LUV masta

Wow Brian!
You've been busy!

I'm not positive on this, but I am pretty sure that you are the first to have a DVD player installed in a LUV. 8)

When you do begin to remove all of the paint, you may want to try stripping it all off with chemical paint remover.

Sorry to hear about the head gasket leaking - that is a common problem with LUV's.

Good luck with your repairs.

By the way, the pics that show Colorado scenery are beautiful!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:57 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Aircraft remover will get that rattle can stuff off.

Look up the $50 paint job. You'll have better results from that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:53 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Thanks guys,

haha, first one with a dvd player huh? :lol: Probably not, but it is kinda fun, :ebiggrin

Ya, its a shame the paint ran like that. Eventually I'll get some of that aircraft paint remover and do it right; eventually..... lol

The scenery here is great, I'm glad u noticed it. After being here so long, u almost take it for granted. :esurprised lol

The parts for the head are finally here, so I'll start working and posting pics of my progress in the other thread, XD

2002 Mazda B4000 4x4
1990 Kawasaki EX500
2008 Yamaha TTR230

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:51 am 
PITA Old Fart

After taking a good hard look at this "cosmetic build" thread...I'm gonna take a real wild guess here and say that you aren't a trained cosmetologist...and that you don't work in the auto bodywork/painting or upholstery trade either.

Just a thought - I get those once in a while....lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:54 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Um, ya, definitely not.... Just a college freshman with a few spray cans and a couple hundred dollars, lol. Pretty much the reason I got a cheap $200 truck. First time attempting anything like this; better to screw up a $200 truck than a $1800 truck. :wink:

The old lady I bought it from had already brush painted it with Baer house paint, so I figured what the heck. I think it looks alright (from a distance), but I am kinda sad about the runs tho.... :( Oh well, it is what it is, for now. Eventually when I have more money I'll do it right. :D

2002 Mazda B4000 4x4
1990 Kawasaki EX500
2008 Yamaha TTR230

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:12 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

You shoulda rolled the paint on instead of brushing it on... I did that on my car and it looks gooood IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:38 am 
Addicted to LUV

:signiagree i plan on doing the same later. luckily, i already have the rust taken care of, and have some rustoleum paint :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:11 pm 
PITA Old Fart

For some reason I keep thinking your truck is bright yellow and you love homemade pizza.

It must be a flashback or sumpthin'....lol.