PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Very nice... 8)

FIAA!

SFPP!

Post subject: Re: Smokeys 4x4 V8
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:18 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

your front steering is the craziest thing!

LOL

how well does that rack work?

A.j,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:55 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

The rack I was told came off a mustang that's all I know it was on a donor truck with a dana 44 so I moved it over to the toyota front end, seem's to work ok will have to put limiter's on the front to kept the frame from going too high when taking off and hitting big bumps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:39 pm 

so i know that the front end of the frame kind of Y's and bows in. what did you do to get around that? i just got toyota axles for my truck so im trying to gather as much info as i can before i actually start tearing into it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:49 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

The frame is no problem if you go with coilovers and if you go with the toyota leaf spring's you'll have to add to the frame out front because the luv frame is boxed and short but that's not hard to do. If you go with the toyota front axle just leave you're factory steering box in place and go with crossover steering. The reason I went with the coilovers up front was too get the clearence I needed for the 38's without hitting and I already had them anyway. Take a good look at my pic's of the front striped down too the frame it takes alot of work to get it that way just take your time and remove all the I/S stuff that you don't need. Are you pertty good at fabing your on part's?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:24 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Got alittle more time to do some work, Got all the fuel hooked up carb installed all gauges hooked up new battry cables in from the back bed 6AL-2 all bolted in and wired coil is in radiator and fan is in and wired up. Tomorrow I'll clean up the wiring weld in the front pan hard bar install a new u-joint in the front toyota knuckle and I've I got enough time I'll try to hook up the trans cooler(thinking about putting it in the bed). Will try to get more pics tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:48 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

OK guy's I've finally got it running, Still got a few thing's too adjust but IT IS a handful too play with in the dirt. I'm not happy with the Hurst quarter stick it won't slap into third gear like it's supposed to do and I'm having a hard time trying to hold the steering wheel and shift at the same time, Thinking about getting a electric shift selonoid once I get the shifter adjusted for third.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:24 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Had a few header leak's but I think I got that fixed, got a B&m pro rachet shifter from a friend that I'll swap out that should work better. Going too start working on the body and would really like to find some new fenders or a fiberglass front so if anyone knows where I can find these thing's please let me know.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:12 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Alittle update, Can't get the truck too hook up it's unloading the the rear as soon as I hit the gas I mean I put it in drive and in 30ft it has already hit the limiter in drive spinning like crazy. I thought I was going too have this problem with the short ladder bars on the rear when I put them on but had too try them for a start. Yesterday I put two jack's under the frame on each side and kept working my way towards the front until I got the truck balanced for IC and today I'll start building the new ladder bars which will about 60 to 64" long, That should transfer more weight too the rear and get the tires too hook up better.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:46 am 
Addicted to LUV

May nead a high gear ratio to get the wheel speed down some as well...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:29 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I hope not, I want to have as much tire speed as I can to get me on top of the mudd. I'll just have to work on the suspension and once I get through with these longer ladder bars thing's should start getting closer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:29 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Finally got the ladder bars finished this weekend ended up being 61" long and everything is installed. It's better on the take off raising the front some but the sand behind my shop is just too soft to get any real bite but anyway they look good and I do have some up and down adjustment on the front hielms.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:11 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Run my truck the first time on a prepared clay fast track last weekend and it was one hell of a ride, started from idol and floored it and ran a 3.7 sec on a 210ft track. Second run was almost a disaster about 3/4 track the steerling broke and it went 45 degrees straight into the guardrail but someone was riding with me cause it stadled the rail and went straight down the rail until it came off the end tearing down every post in the way and stiil ran a 5.7. The only thing hurt was the rack n pinion from hiting all the post I mean nothing else is hurt, can't believe I didn't burst the tires. Haven't figured out yet if it was the old used rack that gave away or the steering rod but believe me before I run it again it will be checked about a hundred times.(One visit on the wall like that is enough) Oh the 61" rear ladder bars really made it hook and brought the front left tire off the ground from the 45ft mark to about the 160ft mark.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:21 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

[url]Image[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:49 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Finally got the wife to post some pics, got alot more but she has a hard time posting them. Since the pics I've installed the new rack and still having a hard time with the brake MC. Want to get all the bug's worked out so I can spend some time on the body and pick out a different paint scheme. How do you guy's like that hood? It only weighs 9lbs. Got more work to do on it but it is hard working out of town every week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:58 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Finally got the brakes working good and got the steering reworked( wait until you see the way it's run through the floor board). Going to a different track this weekend to try it out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:29 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

The new rack worked great last Saturdaynite and the truck did get on top of the mudd and I won my class with the first run. Still got a few things to mess with but thats nothing new. Going to paint this week and can't make my mind up between Toyota blue with silver cowl or black with silver cowl any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:31 pm 
Addicted to LUV

smokey wrote:
The new rack worked great last Saturdaynite and the truck did get on top of the mudd and I won my class with the first run. Still got a few things to mess with but thats nothing new. Going to paint this week and can't make my mind up between Toyota blue with silver cowl or black with silver cowl any thoughts?

i vote blue and silver
i was thinking a blue and silverish blue for mine :lol:

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:52 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I'm a Raider fan so I vote Silver and Black

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:53 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I meant to add that your truck looks awesome.