LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

will do. just need to fab the exhaust, prime the oil and grab the fuel inlet fitting. now that its about done my gf is selling her acura so we dont have an extra car taking up space and i can use a few extra bucks for last minute stuff im sure will come up
this weekend i should have my exhaust pretty much done.
need to install my bumper and plug my blinkers in and hook up my fender marker lights.. im hoping having them all unplugged is my issue with my lights not comin on if not i need to rig up a new lighting switch system :econfused

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

progress and more banging my head on the wall. stopped by for about five mins after work to see if the blinker plugs in the bumper were my lightingniasue and it was half of it. now my brake and tail lights work, my bumper running lights work and onenof my four marker lights work. blinkers and headlights do not work. didnt have time to check much but my dad didention he unplugged stuff when we were making that clutch cyl bracket so i may have missed one plug. will see tomorrow when i have more time

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

stopped by for an hour today before work. messed with the wiring a biy. figured out that the two prong plug for one of the flashers was on the wrong pin once i switched that i got my blinkers working. my marker lights are still messed up only one one comes on so im going to go ahead and wire them in with the blinkers. seems like they should have come that way cuz from beside the truck you would have no idea i was trying to turn with them just on solid
headlights still dont work so im gonna run a seperate new circuit for them and have them activated by toggle switches one for hi and one for low with a pair of relays everything else works fine dont wanna try to fix the head light issue and screwup all my other lights, got the dome light working now, got the heater blower set up on a toggle now, need tp wire up the headlights and the wipers and im golden as far as the electrical system goes

driveline will be ready to pick up in the morning. was hoping the $100 quote was accurate but it ended up being $180. when i dropped it off the guy at the shop mentioned that he may have to mess with it or order another yoke because the s10 driveline is about 1/4" skinnier than the luvs.. not sure will get details in morning

while i was at it i went ahead and added my additive and my oil, pump primer is in place and ready to go whenever i finish the exhaust. hoping to get it all taken care of between now and sunday and be on the road this weekend. been a bit over a year and im finally seeing it about complete again :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:05 am 
Addicted to LUV

If you can't fix the headlights, what about using a foot switch like came on the 50's/60's model chevy trucks. That way you can dim them...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:17 am 
Addicted to LUV

i was thinking two relays one for hi and one low with individual toggles.
edit: not familiar with the foot switch, is it a hi low switch run after the toggle on or is it the hi low and off

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:54 am 
Addicted to LUV

Headlight switch on, power to foot switch. (about 1.5 inches tall, around .75 around.) power in one position goes through switch to low beam side, depress switch with left foot and magic happens, power goes to high beams, and vice versa... You would need a toggle or something similar to provide the power to the footswitch to turn the lights off when not in use...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:43 am 
Addicted to LUV

gotya, that actually plays pretty well into what i had in mind, saves the hassle of having to quickly go between two toggle swithes every time theres a on coming car at night. i feel like i have seen that somewhere before but idk where it was. will have to see about getting one because i dont want to tear that deep into my harness to fix the issue all the way to the blinker switch. im already this many thousands into the build whats one more piece of hardware for aome added convenience :lol: thanks for the suggestion

so guys i will almost definitely be at the sonic meet next saturday. i have a couple days off next week to tie up the loose ends and get going
the final countdown has begun i want to at least fire it up this weekend maybe go for a slow spin around the block

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

It is called a simmer switch. One for a 1966 Chevrolet truck on Rockauto costs 2.97...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:53 am 
Addicted to LUV

I always heard it referred to as a dimmer switch. Seemed to make more sense to me anyway.

:-p

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

simmer switches belong on crock pots :lol: I will gladly pick up a dimmer switch for under $5 tho :ebiggrin

picked up my driveline today ended up being $181 because they charged me for the two new spicer ujoints they installed without calling and asking me about :evil: so I have two new ujoints sitting in my garage I have to send back when I order that dimmer switch.... not dealing with them again they never called to confirm anything and I had to call them to findout that it had been done since the day before. they also "had to" buy another yoke which I don't understand the reason for being that they didn't give me back the one I gave them with my driveline.... not thrilled with them at all but the driveline looks great

my dad and I are going to get started on my exhaust early in the morning before I go to work, would like to at least get it run up to the xmember. might be able to fire it up in the next day or two.. fingers crossed on that one..

stopped by a shop called Tubes N Hoses over on 4th plain before work, they are going to make me a 60" anodized blue braided clutch line, couldn't do the original material because over that much length there would be too much expansion under pressure... plus the blue stainless will look great in there...

few more days of work and fixing up loose ends and I will be on the road again 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:14 pm 
Addicted to LUV

short update for today.
had a couple hours this morning so first thing i got the driveline installed and torqued so thats ready to go

then went ahead and started to weld up the exhaust. those ball and socket flanges are getting sent back because they werent right they only fit hedman headers.. i used the other header reducers i had and they work great.... me and my dad have no idea why he was convinced they were wrong before..
anyway heres what i got to start, cut the u bend at a 43* angle for both and welded the tube to the reducer once i got the length right
the passenger side is the longer one because of how it sits. they both sit level with the bottom of the torsion bars at their lowest point

added 2' of pipe to each to get them about 2" thru the xmember, will add the disconnect flanges on that side

also tested my starter with a quick click and it turned over a bit do thats all good. added relay for headlights.. all for tofay. battery is on a trickle charge for the night and will be back at it tomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:22 pm 
Addicted to LUV

got the exhaust going from the ends behind the xmember to the y pipe now, it lines up in there real well it just needs the hangers and the flanges welded in to be good this far.
I ordered a 3" u bend so I can fab an over axle bend with 2 45s and a 90 or maybe less depending on how it sits, trying to keep the bends as miimal and free flowing as possible... not that a 3" exhaust will have any kind of restriction but still...

switch for the fuel pump, heater blower and headlight toggle

got this going on and finished all the other wiring other than wipers and those are half done. ordered the foot dimmer switch for it
also ordered my carb inlet fitting so will have the last parts done in the next couple days. also connected my alternator chargin wire, poired in the coolant, Teflon taped and installed all the vacuum plugs on the intake manifold, ran the bat + wire for the distributor to a new relay and fuse, did a lot of misc wiring today to make everything work and come on when it should

back at it tomorrow to weld up the exhaust that is mostly tacked right now and to finish up the wiring for the wipers and pick up that clutch line... getting close!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:06 am 
Addicted to LUV

picked up the braided clutch master to slave line today and it is ready to go, added the gussets to my master cylinder bracket will be welding it in tomorrow morning and getting the line ran to it and to the res
welded up the downpipes and the first sections.
tomorrow I will have the order from summit with my exhaust flanges for the disconnect behind the xmember and the 180* 3" dia bend so I can fab my over axle pipe. will be using 2 45*s with a 90* at the top to go over it without a sharp bend.

will also have my fuel inlet fitting for the carb so I can finally hook it up. and I will have the floor headlight switch so I will be able to hook that up to.... if I have another really long day out there tomorrow I might be able to get it on the road in the next 24hrs :ebiggrin would be a long shot but crazy ish happens :lol:
need to make a throttle cable bracket and that's it on the engine side of things, plug wires are in place header is bolted down all the extra holes are plugged, ready to hook up fuel line, prime the oil pump and fire it up once the exhaust is done.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:07 pm 
Addicted to LUV

well wasn't able to get it done today but I will be able tomorrow I ran out of shielding gas and airgas was closed for the day already

list of what got done today
made a throttle cable bracket and installed my throttle cable, adjusted the stopper so the pedal stops when the carb is all the way open, very basic little bracket but it will get the job done has a stop to keep it from twisting

installed my fuel inlet fitting and fuel line

attached my brake lines for front and rear, need to bleed the system In the morning

mounted my slave cylinder and connected the line to it, mounted my clutch fluid resovoir and am now ready to install the master cylinder once I cut down the rod and weld it shorter, the bracket is already welded in behind the dash

got my floor dimmer switch, was silver so I painted the lower half black and dipped the button part in bedliner, matches the floor now. got it wired up and working, thanks for that idea!

mounted my clutch master cylinder bracket in the dash, 90% of the welding is done but I ran out of gas

exhaust is finished from the header to the muffler, didn't have a chance to cut my 180* bend into the pieces I need for my over axle pipe i am going toget after it in the morning, shouldn't have any problem getting it done.

im within a couple hours of work from being on the road, I went and picked up tags for my plates today and the last of the fluids I needed, messed with the trans drain plug and got it fixed enough to use a bolt head to screw it in so I can use it. should be done in the morning, if not I will be tomorrow after work. so ready to be on the road again!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:10 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Coming along nicely. Did you have to shorten the throttle cable at all or is it stock length?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

the end is missing but beyond that its stock but the casing is really long it is half looped around by the firewall. would have been nice to shorten it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

had half the morning before i went to work so i got after the exhaust

over axle bend looks funny here but makes more sense in the truck

exhaust is all welded up i just need to install the hangers when i get off work
down to the last couple small things gotta bleed brakes and clutch line, tighten a couple things prime oil pump and fire it up. should be drivin it tomorrow :ebiggrin

half angled tip

reason for odd bend, had to clear axle and shock with the smallest bend possible took a 180* cut the legs off at 45* flipped the two 45* bends 180* (or left bend on right side) and welded them back to the 90* had to cut 4.5" out of one but it came out great

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

well progress and headaches in the last few days. exhaust is finished and hung, engine is fully assembled ane cranks over
but i tried using a 4ga stereo ground wire as a temporary bat ground... didnt work well fried it completely on first time cranking over. replaced it with the right cable cranked it over again and melted the casing off of my stock block ground wire so im gonna use a piece of my old battery cable and see if that does better. it is so close to done and running i just need to fix that ground find my timing, tune the carb and bleed my clutch system

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:03 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

are you using the stock fuel pump?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

yessir stock pump. it has plenty of flow its forcing around the o ring on the crossover pipe, need to check it out and make sure it is seated right. and install a new gasket on the oil filter adapter it leaks a little . and i know all of this because I FINALLY GOT IT RUNNING!!!
i was two teeth off on the distributor and i have very little rotation before the body hits the intake or the firewall. but after i got it lined up it fired right away :ebiggrin been waiting a year to hear it run and man was it satisfying to hear. that cam and the exhaust give it a great tone.it needs the fuel and oil leak dealt with before i let it run long enough to time it and dial in the carb but as it was the idle was pretty good
really excited i just need a few things to go

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next