LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hey jgilk1 have you put any more thought into throwing a turbo on your g180?

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engi ... ewall.html
came across this earlier. good to know that Hotrod has already done the leg work for me on finding what works for these motors... whatever works well for a 350 :lol:
only difference is im planning to run the 96+ vortec heads that flow more stock than the ported pre-vortec heads will :ebiggrin

what they ended up with 301hp/316lbft is almost exactly what i was hoping for.. so i have my goal and my how to already set for me :ebiggrin i would settle for and save a few bucks :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:23 pm 
Addicted to LUV

made some more progress today

got the heads off.. bores are in considerable better shape then i expected. cyl 1 has a bit of rust around the very top of the bore and cyl 4 has some micro scuff marks but other then that they look great will take it down to have it honed when i get it disassembled and cleaned up a bit.

pulled the oil pan once i had the heads off to feel like i acomplished more :lol:

got a great puddle of nasty oil and muddy looking water that poured out as it went over... whoops :roll:

so its not as bad as i had thought yet. will check the rod and main bearings wear tomorrow or friday whenever i get time and plastigauge.

looking into picking up a set of rebuild 96 vortec heads and an edelbrock aluminum 4 barrel intake for it... would add a few more horses then my personal sticker limit will allow me to get otherwise :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

well its looking like im going to need the crank turned... or at least polished..
will need a good hone and a long dip in a hot tank but it should clean up alright but you can tell it was run hot as hell from a mix of low and incredibly old oil...
found some play in the output shaft on the 700r4 also so now i get to learn how to yank out all the bearings and go thru it all :roll: oh well this was planned to be a learning experience so i guess im getting what i asked for.

i have finally set the layout for the engine in stone for the build.... other than cam selection which i will work out once i get a bit closer to being done with it.. may just get a regrind.

96+ Vortec heads (unported since they dont need it and will outflow the pre 96 heads even ported to the limit)

Edelbrock 2114 intake http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2114/ designed to work with pre vortec blocks running vortec heads... how convenient :lol:

HEI distributor similar to this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Chevrolet ... 1164wt_698

and a 600 cfm carb... either holley or edelbrock..

along with a set of headers, new rings and the usual rebuild necessities it should bump the stock 160hp way up.. will be getting it dyno'd when all is said and done to see just how much of a difference it makes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:40 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Well that sucks that you have to redo the whole bottom end. But atlest it will be all brand new! 8) How come your gona run a Holley or edelbrock? Goodluck dude 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

the intake in getting doesnt work the the q-jet sadly... square bore instead of spread.
and only because they are common and chea pas hell... im trying to build this for the best performance possible without blowing my life savings on it... just a budget build with some recycled and some new parts that should add up to a pretty good boost in power without costing me $5k...
still kicing around the idea of buying a set of used 350 headers and cutting off the extra tube... little fab on the collector and bam set of $50 v6 headers... found a set for $40 :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:04 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Haha I gotcha! There a 650 Cfm Edelbrock for $230 bucks i think it was? Not a bad price. How you gona hook up your gauges?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:53 am 
Addicted to LUV

brianloveshorse wrote:
Haha I gotcha! There a 650 Cfm Edelbrock for $230 bucks i think it was? Not a bad price. How you gona hook up your gauges?

gauges im going to have to work out one at a time and see what will work and what will need to be modified.. going to look for a new speedometer because i think 85 is a bit low for the engine/trans :lol:
might end up springing for a new set of gauges... the autometer "golden oldies" ones look kind of cool... would look great in a stained wood dash panel...

and yeah $230 wouldnt be too bad... you can grab one for $75-100 on craigslist in good shape.

intake and everything else will have to be new.. carb can be used and thats about it but should save 150-$200 or so over a new one

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

called the machine shop this morning.. im looking at $120 to turn the crank.. and another $130 to have the block bored, i might be able to get away with a hone but more than likely going to need a bore.
i have a buddy that has NIB holley 600 he wants $150 for so i am going to jump on that when i get paid
im planning to have this all finished up and running by early summer so i can make a trip down to AZ to see my older brother and give the engine a good break in.

still need to go buy the book on how to rebuild a 700r4 so i can get that going on while the engine is waiting on machine work.

looking at just under $1k to have everything finished up, machine work, intake, distributor, carb, beaings/gaskets, junkyard aluminum radiator, and new bearings/flexplate for the tranny.. plus misc small parts

somehow the jack@$$ i got this engine from managed to break one of nearly everything getting it out... cut wiring, bent the crap out of the flexplate, smashed the distributor cap...
thank god i only really need the flexplate out of everything that was broken and thats $55 at rockauto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:35 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

time lines suck, :lol: Mines coming up in may/june. :lol: Well see. a few weeks hopfully and mine will be painted! 8) What color you want to paint yours?

Well anyway its looking great dude! keep up the good work! 8) Im pretty sure 700R4s are pretty easy to rebuild, I know ive seen rebuild kits for pretty cheap. I think is pretty much just new bands. I Cant wait to see it done!

O and Hey Wouldnt a Yamaha Sho 3.0 or 3.2 in a luv look bad@$$! 8)

Attachments:
08-esprit.jpg
08-esprit.jpg [ 124.68 KiB | Viewed 67155 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

that would look epic in a luv 8) i dont think i have ever seen an intake like that before.. well except on a viper.

and yeah i have been told you can get the 700r4 apart in 30 minutes once you have done it a couple times so im pretty confident i can get that done without much trouble. rebuild kit with new bearings and bands doesnt cost much at all... rockauto saves the day again lol... man i need to apply for a sponsorship i get everything thru them :lol: :lol:

im still trying to decide on a color... i would like a medium/dark blue... or green... maybe some silver in there somewhere?? not really sure.. blue and green are my top 2 right now but it depends on what kind of paint i find i like... im going to buy one of the LUV toys i found on ebay to try some paint schemes on with a rattlecan. will save days of repainting if i decide i hate the color once its painted :p
i was thinking two tone would look really good using the line on the hood and up one color and the rest another. or a two tone going from the body line that goes down the fender/cab/bed. my dad and i spent a good half hour talking paint schemes and colors and still haven't got much closer to a decision... girlfriend tried telling me to do it purple :roll: might as well do purple and pink zebra stripe and turn in my nuts while im at it :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

well some @$$HOLE threw a chunk of a brick thru my bedroom window last night so there goes my $150 for that holley on a new window :evil:
i swear i hope i find the SOB that did it cuz that brick is going to be lodged firmly in his skull :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:51 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I know what you mean, a few weeks ago I stayed the night down at my gfs house down in coeur d'alene and somone came by and popped and flatend all of my gfs mothers truck and my gfs truck, lucky my car was parted acrossed the street. That would of been a very long day if mine were popped. I hate citys. 8) at lest the brick didnt hit your luv! Then it would of been war! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

brianloveshorse wrote:
I know what you mean, a few weeks ago I stayed the night down at my gfs house down in coeur d'alene and somone came by and popped and flatend all of my gfs mothers truck and my gfs truck, lucky my car was parted acrossed the street. That would of been a very long day if mine were popped. I hate citys. 8) at lest the brick didnt hit your luv! Then it would of been war! :twisted:

few months ago someone slashed one of my tires.. so i got a new set :lol:
oh man... if that brick would have hit my luv i would have ran the guy down with it. luv woulda been the last thing he saw :twisted: i really wish i knew who it was i would lob it right back thru their window and wait for em to come outside.
i mean really who throws a brick at someones house? sure walk up and start something face to face and be a man about it. but throwing a brick thru someones window and running off? that just screams coward

but the luv is safe.. moved it into the garage where i know it cant be screwed with.
parked right in front of its new 4.3 :lol: im thinking about putting the block up on my hoist and lowering it down to see how well its going to fit and what kind of mount im going to need to make. the 1.8 is coming out soon so i can start getting everything for the 4.3 swap lined up. suspended license anyway, would be wise to keep myself from being able to drive, especially the luv.. if that got impounded :cry: :cry: :cry:

how did the primer on yours turn out? ready for the orange?

and man i saw that diamond plate your going to do.. thats going to be slick 8)
i thought about getting some of the blue anodized diamond plate to do the background for the gauges, the glove box and the door panels to go with a blue paint scheme.. along with some bed liner on the floor because somehow the carpet always gets wet :econfused

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:58 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

love4theluv wrote:
brianloveshorse wrote:

few months ago someone slashed one of my tires.. so i got a new set :lol:
oh man... if that brick would have hit my luv i would have ran the guy down with it. luv woulda been the last thing he saw :twisted: i really wish i knew who it was i would lob it right back thru their window and wait for em to come outside.
i mean really who throws a brick at someones house? sure walk up and start something face to face and be a man about it. but throwing a brick thru someones window and running off? that just screams coward

but the luv is safe.. moved it into the garage where i know it cant be screwed with.
parked right in front of its new 4.3 :lol: im thinking about putting the block up on my hoist and lowering it down to see how well its going to fit and what kind of mount im going to need to make. the 1.8 is coming out soon so i can start getting everything for the 4.3 swap lined up. suspended license anyway, would be wise to keep myself from being able to drive, especially the luv.. if that got impounded :cry: :cry: :cry:

how did the primer on yours turn out? ready for the orange?

and man i saw that diamond plate your going to do.. thats going to be slick 8)
i thought about getting some of the blue anodized diamond plate to do the background for the gauges, the glove box and the door panels to go with a blue paint scheme.. along with some bed liner on the floor because somehow the carpet always gets wet :econfused

People are people, they will never stand man to man. It was probly some stupied kids. They would probly piss there pants if you got into there faces about it (if you found them). :lol: there pussies these days.

Didnt your luv get hit when it was parked in your shop? even with the shop door closed? Need to put a steel beam arossed your whole door just in case! jk :D Yea you could pull the engine and paint your engine bay black or clean it up really nice! 8) And you can get a 4by8 peice of Aluminum dimond plate, for around $120 bucks? thats here anyway. Thats what im gona do. 8)

An I saw a dark green luv on craigslist a few weeks ago, and i really liked it! medium/dark blue would look good to! Two tone would be sweet to! haha Thats wy i just stopped thinking and went I have always wanted a orange rig, and thats what its gona be! My gf would like me to paint it a candy apple red, i dont think that would look bad ether, but im going orange! 8) :smt109

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:21 am 
Addicted to LUV

red is overrated :lol:

and yeah it did girl pulled into the driveway and hit the gas instead of brake and went wight thru the door and hit the luv :roll: they need to pay attention in driving tests

120 sounds about right maybe 140 for anodized but not sure.
another 100 for bed liner and the interior is about done lol and the bed would be set from there.

i had a ridiculous idea earlier..... 6 individual carbs.... on a v6... people do it on 4 bangers and they make great power and good mileage... either way im going to need a new intake and carb...
one of these days lol
it seems fairly simple to make a plate type intake manifold with 6 slits machined out for the runners, plate bottom and a raised portion for the distributor to bolt to.... uncle just got a new mill and lathe i would love to break in
i found the cfm ratings for mikuni crotch rocket carbs are 109cfm @ 34mm and 129 @ 38mm... that would be like a 654 cfm 4 barrel with just the 34mm... only each cylinder would have its own feed of undisturbed air and fuel without turbulance... a set of 4 of the carbs can be had for $125-$150 on ebay.. jets are cheap... im slowly talking myself into this :lol: :lol: :lol:
and i would even get 2 spare carbs... for parts and practice :roll:

i am the most indecisive person on earth i swear :esad
but you gotta admit that sounds freaking sweet.. the only thing i really see individual throttle bodies and carbs on is drag racing engines, drifters and high performance imports... and of course ctmandu's old stepside which hauls balls for being a lil 4 banger 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:17 am 
Addicted to LUV

well.... 8 carbs from crb1000's... $240
aluminum plates and tubing around $50-$75
290-315... vs.. $255 edelbrock intake + $150 for holley 600... $405...
this may actually be practical-ish not totally practical, sure with the amount of work required.. lots of time measuring, cutting, welding, routing hoses etc... i have time and would love a design challenge in the build :lol: especially one that would save money AND give power 8)

may be a possibility.. will call my uncle in the afternoon and see what he thinks about letting me fire up the mill. if i can get this done with a bit of help from my uncle i am willing to take on the challenge.. may be something sell-able in the future if i can make a couple sets.
gonna have to sent cat a message about the ones he was running :egeek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:22 pm 
Addicted to LUV

eh.. faster to just drop a q-jet and iron intake on it but wheres the fun in that?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:06 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

6 carbs would be SWEET!!!! 8) How would you hook them all together tho? 8O I think I found my gauge set! 8) (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-800600/)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

those gauges will look great

and they come as 4 hooked together off of a cbr1000rr 4 banger crotch rocket
each one is 38mm and flows 129cfm.. soo about 775cfm... since they come hooked together as 4 it should be easily adaptable to run in 2 sets of 3.. ctmandu did 4 of them on his 4 cyl when he had it.

the manifold would be the hardest to make but it wouldnt be all that hard.. 6 tubes, a few plates with holes in the right places and some hose fittings... would just need the stocker to take measurements from....
the bling factor of something like that alone would be worth the effort... pop the backward flipping hood.. and no its not JUST a mean v6 its a mean v6 with 6 carbs all polished up on a custom mani 8) get some chrome valve covers, paint the manifold and polish the carbs and tubes up... people -> :esurprised would be fun to take to shows just so people would see just another luv... but with an outlandish looking engine under the hood

looking into it anyway.. even if i dont do it to begin with it will be a future upgrade.. i talked myself too far into it to not do it :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 28  Next