LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

girlfriends car went tits up so the race to finish the truck is on!
ordered my new master cylinder will have it first thing in the morning.
went and picked up the fittings for my fpr and got those installed. they didnt have the 3/8" npt to 7/16 barb so i had to improvise

going to be working on the truck wvery day before work until its done. it real close already just gotta knock out the small stuff

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:08 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Maybe u can make the truck meet now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i would like to but its not very likely. plus i volunteered for an extra shift at work when i figured out i wasnt gonna make it before. should be about done by then tho so maybe i can stop by if i get lucky.
hopefully nothing new and terrible comes up between now and then

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

got the regulator plumbed up and my fuel filter moved closer to the carb

new master cylinder waiting to be bled before install.

got a short startup video now that it is timed. the timing is within a couple degrees. didnt have time to finish timing it or bleeding master cyl before i left for work. tomorrow morning i can knock those out.will post the video as soon as my girlfriend sends it to me

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

. sorry for the noise at the beginning. no idea what thats about
fuel pump wasnt on so it just ran the bowls dry and died

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:20 am 
Addicted to LUV

back at it tomorrow going to get the bed pulled off and paint the back of the cab. also need to get after the master cylinder bled, a few more odds and ends and it will be done if all goes well

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:18 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

sounds pretty good man!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:50 pm 
Addicted to LUV

fixed my fuel leak.. was missing an oring on my float needle body so the gas was coming right around and out the top
something is still off with my timing i got a few backfires and about took my dads eyebrows off with one :lol:
got my bed bolts pulled and my wires disconnected battery put etc so i can pull the bed tomorrow morning.

gettin close now :ebiggrin

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:07 am 
Addicted to LUV

got a lot done today
went ahead and pulled the carb and went thru the full list of adjustments before installing. put it on and got it roughly adjusted to where it will idle well at 750-800.
got the clutch master cylinder bench bled and bled the full system
jacked up the rear wheels and tested the clutch and the transmission. i need the bushings that go on the shift lever and settle into grooves in the shift tower... will look for those at picknpull tomorrow.
pulled the bed off, painted the partially bare back of the cab
cut off and rewelded the crooked exhaust hanger by the back
set up the return line for the fuel pressure regulator
got the bed put back on and put the battery back in the bed.
got the timing set where it feels right and is what the book said to go with
had a leak in my heater core so i bypassed it for the time being just ran a hose from water pump to intake
also need to buy a dipstick and dipstick tube at picknpull tomorrow. had a rubber cork wedged in there for a while but it worked its way out and i got a ton of oil on my header :econfused
i was able to let it idle long enough to get up to temperature and have my fan come on a couple times so i know that works :ebiggrin
the still to do list is bleed the front brakes, get a dipstick tube and dipstick and install, and find those two bushings for the transmission, and have the carb tuned in real well by someone more skilled than i :lol:

quick idle video from today. cell phone video not great quality and the bed being right there makes it echo a bit but here it is

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:07 am 
Addicted to LUV

many steps forward today
went to picknpull early and got the dipstick with tube and the little bushings for the shift lever
spent a lot of my day making sure all of the small stuff was dealt with...

my last big hangup is that for some reason i can get into any gear from first to fourth but fifth and reverse basically dont exist as far as the shift lever is concerned so im thinking whoever messed with this trans before ivgotvit and it had clearly been messed with... did something wrong and i am unable to get into thst row of gears

but on the plus side I FINALLY GOT TO DRIVE IT AROUND THE BLOCK! :ebiggrin even babying it with barely any throttle this thing pulls harder than i expected it to... total blast to drive around.. will have to pay attention to throttle position more closely coming from a stop :lol: . im really hoping i can find whatever is set up wrong in the tranny becaust that is the only thing in my way of driving it regularly. if not i will hail it back to picknpull and swap it for a different one

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

well heres how my day went after i figured out that my transmission wasnt going to shift into fifth or reverse

this is going back to picknpull

cleaned up

i scouted picknpull and found one gotta check north portlandd

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

that tranny is gone and got another one, dodnt cost anything but the time and gas to go pull it. this newer one doesnt have a busted up case but it has quite a few miles so eventually it will have to be rebuilt. had to search every s10 in 3 picknpulls to find the right one but i have it home now will be going in tomorrow morning. its odd i have seen three of these trannys one was a later style and two are identical but none of them has the same shifter setup. and there were two different types of shifter ball ends that go into the tranny. small year by year changes

should have a decent amount of reassembly taken care of tomorrow before work

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:52 pm 
Addicted to LUV

got everything back together today and this new tranny seems fine. drove around the block a few times with a bigass grin on my face :ebiggrin it still needs carb tuning it doesnt like to go from moving to a stop or drop down to idle very well but it does "run and drive"

first impression when driving it was... holy hell this thing has torque! coming off the clutch makes a heck of a launch forward.. or backward, went haulin out of my garage when i first put it in reverse :lol:
i definitely need a different muffler this s.o.b is way louder than i expected can be heard a block away easily apparently lol

really happy to have it this close to done! i have a guy at the end of my street with a really nicely built nova he is at the strip with as i am typing this, who is going to give me a hand getting the carb dialed in. i have it very roughly dialed in so it will at least drive around the block

Last edited by love4theluv on Wed May 07, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:34 pm 
Addicted to LUV

:bday:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

drove it down to portland yesterday :D
ran myself outta gas cuz my gauge isnt hooked up or working so that sucked but beyond that it went well. i am going to have to take the carb to be tuned because i dont have a vac gauge or the knowledge to do it myself. ot does okay when its choked but when the choke is off it wont hold an idle so i have to keep my foot lightly on the pedal

i ended up having my 1 & 6 plug wires burn a bit and arc onto my headers so i had to reroute them and replace those two thankfully i had eight plug wires :roll: ran decent for being a part time v4
anoyher few days hopefully. i just got a hold of two carb shops in portland and am waiting on a quote and time frame for getting it looked at

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

getting my carb looked at in the morning. going to have the baseline settings taken care of then gonna get a vac gauge and dial it in from there with instruction from him

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:41 am 
Addicted to LUV

Can't wait to see a couple videos after you get the carb dialed in. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

well new plan. gonna go ahead and shelf this old 450 and order a brand new carb. guy at the shop was wanting $120 just to look it over not including parts any needed machining etc and thats just to see how it looks off vehicle so by the time it was all good to go and on the truck plus tuning when on the truck is would cost as much as a brand new one anyway. plus when i told the guy that sounded steep cuz another shop i talked to charges $50 an hour he threw a fit and said he didnt wanna do it and have a good weekend... lmao

only thing im needing to figure out now is whether i want a 450 or 500cfm. edelbrock recommends their 500cfm with this intake and with this cam and all the go parts in the engine thats probably where i should be but a 450 would net me a little better economy. this thing isnt short on power by any means so i dont NEED to go big...

little quick math
450cfm = 600cfm on a 350
500cfm = 665cfm on a 350

i havent built myself a 350 so im gonna do some online searching but any input you smallblock guys have for me wojld be appreciated. the only thing this engine doesnt have for the usual bolt on go fast parts is high comp pistons, i have the best oe heads to be had with a little garage porting, good edelbrock intake also garage ported, decent headers with the egr and air ports removed and welded up so nothing sticks into the tubes, welds ground down for even flow, 60k hei, etc
would be great im wanting to get it ordered today so it will ship out tomorrow.

what ya guys think 450 or 500?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

A brand new carb out of the box is still going to need tuning. I can understand why the guy was pissed at you when you told him there is a cheaper shop around the corner. 50 an hour is un herd of out here. At shops I worked for it would have been 1 hour for a check out and probably close to 2 more hours to rebuild and tune it. This is at 90 per hour. If he does good work I think he was inline on his price.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:20 pm 
Addicted to LUV

yeah im sure he wasnt way out of line on his price but at that point i might as well get a new one and kick the guy down the road $50 to help me tune it in once i get it on a base tune.q
im pretty sure i screwed something up in this one when it was apart because it continues to drip fuel whe the engine is off and the float is set right. and i would like to have a brand new one with how important a carb is to my engine running well for a good while. i had the tuning instructions and did all the baseline settings then did a bit of dialing in from there and it just would not get to where it needs to be or even very close. the weber was fairly easy for me to tune out of the box, it took some fiddling but i got it on my own. weber makes edelbrock's carbs i believe so hopefully i can get that one dialed in with their instructions well enough to get it going and have it tuned further from there
any input on 450 vs 500?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 28  Next