LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:08 am 
Addicted to LUV

i figured it is time to start this thread since im taking the truck. 1980 Mikado 4x4 to my dads to start the engine rebuild and some general DIY repairs and body work this weekend. 8)
im hoping to have the old engine block out by the end of the day, as well as the crankshaft out, cleaned and ready to be installed in the new block by tonight. and if im lucky have it all assembled by sunday afternoon for the drive back home :lol: we will see how it works out!

i will have the full update/pics for all that was done from today-> sunday by late afternoon sunday.
so far on the list of TO DO:
*full engine swap for a fresh G180 re-using the crankshaft from the original engine
*replacing all fluids (front and rear diff, tranny, coolant, drain old fuel and flush tank, new oil/filters)
*new plugs
*strip the old paint and remnants of the foam from the original dash cover and paint
*repair body damage from low speed through-garage door assault by a mitsubishi mighty max
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22882
*in the process of fabbing a front bumper from the wrecked tailgate skin (will post pics sunday)
* and quite a few other odds and ends i need to take care of but cant think of at the moment.
and we all know how those to do lists always seem to grow and grow and grow
*in the future im hoping to install the EFI intake from a 2.6L, a T28 turbo and a MegaSquirt ECU as well as air/fuel mix gauge (O2 sensor), Boost gauge and a set of 17" x 7" or 8" wheels (Escalade possibly?) hoping for a lowered (slightly) 225+ horsepower street truck in the end.

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

got more done this weekend than i expected 8O
got the engine pulled, disassembled and crank removed, (i had two different sized clutches so i went with the bigger diameter one and the flywheel it came from. the flywheels were identical just a bigger clutch?).

made a run to napa and bought. new rod and main bearings, head gasket, rear main seal, distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, exhaust manifold gaskets, oil pan gasket. will all be here tuesday

then we took the cylinder head, flywheel, oil pan, cylinder head bolts, valve cover, clutch splash plate, rear main seal housing, air cleaner housing, pulleys and crankshaft over to my uncles shop and used his solvent sprayer system full of diesel to clean everything off of all the parts all the oil and buildup gone it looks nice clean =) im re-painting the valve cover when all the parts come in on tuesday.

i had a question tho. the engine i bought had a different carb (however it is from the new motor we bought so its in better shape) and i believe it has the DCP340 instead of the DCH340 like i got with the truck. it has the longer valves into the ports. and a T with 2 vacuum actuators instead of one like the DCH340. looking in the manual it says the DCP was run on series 4 5 and 6 luv's i think it was. the DCP is in better condition and the housing on the choke is cracked on the DCH so im thinking about using the DCP and the manifold it was on since im using the block and head from the same engine as well. does anyone know if there will be any problems running that carb? all the emissions ports are going to be plugged

also working on plugging and removing the emissions equipment. looking for some steel plate i can make the plug for off the EGR pump under the intake manifold. and tryign to hunt down all the emissions crap off the engine without removing something that needs to be there. anyone have a list of locations for the hoses and such that need to stay and which ones can go and be plugged?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:20 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i have some pics of the weekends progress finally not the greatest quality but eh?

got her loaded on the flatbed ready for the trip north

engine minus cylinder head ready for lift

got the old block lifted out

old timing set tweaked out, shattered a guide and ate through the bolts

rear of engine separated from tranny

old flywheel with old clutch removed

flywheel removed from crankshaft

ok this is where im confused
pic #1 here is the carb that came with my engine which would be the Mikuni DCH340
the second pic is the carb that came with the new engine i bought i think it is the DCP340 from series 4, 5 and 6 luvs because of the valves extending farther into the barrels and the T shaped vacuum hose instead of single
DCH340

what i believe is the DCP340?? it fits up to the intake manifold perfectly only a few differences
anyone know?? and if you look the fuel lines on the DCP looking one are facing the opposite side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:29 am 
Addicted to LUV

finally got her all done and tuned right
took about 2 weeks to track down all the little stuff that was causing problems but its finally done and on the road again :ebiggrin :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Cool. Is it running well?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:19 pm 
Addicted to LUV

rondog wrote:
Cool. Is it running well?

running like new complete rebuild inside and out and emissions removal it runs great

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

haven't posted on this in forever.
put about 5k on the engine and my plate that was plugging the EGR port on the intake manifold warped and started leaking. made a better plate for it, and in the down time.
New:
fuel pump,
2 fuel filters 1 before the fuel pump and one before the carb.
new oil and filters,
alternator, coil, battery,
coolant,
new intake gaskets
rotated tires,
interior carpet
pair of 8" subs and amp. looking for a 10 or a 12 for between the seats in the back :twisted: building the box currently.

debating, should i swap out my stock seats for a bench? (grabbed it an pick-n-pull. not sure what its out of. (but the spacing of the mounts is almost exactly the same as the outside mounts for stock seats) possibly from the the volkswagon truck it was in the bed of but not positive in good shape i had it mounted backward in my bed for a while. took it back out for winter. bench is in pretty good shape, my stock driver seat is falling apart and the passenger isn't far behind.

will try to get pics of it now soon. as well as the bench seat and such

looking for a 5 speed soon need more $$$

im thinking i might have to add an SC-14 (roots type) supercharger. i don't want to deal with the high heat of a turbo or having to fab a turbo exhaust manifold, and since its going to be a daily driver the off the clutch power will be fun to get around town. an sc-14 is pretty cheap to pickup used in good shape, and i have heard good things about them from ozgemini.com forums. so that may be on the list for the near future once the paychecks start coming in at the new job.

anyone know where to find a new oil fill cap? mine is cracked and missing pieces of the sealing ring now 0.o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

also trying to decide on a paint color.
flat black is massively over done around here (and all over im sure) so i need something different.
my buddy used to have a lime green luv that was lowered, i guess its still seen in portland.
and i have seen just about every color used, sky blue, white, red, yellow, green, purple, black, grey. and everything in between and almost everything looks good on a luv!
interior carpet is black and dash will be soon, door panels and seats will end up being re-done to match colors.

gunmetal grey seems to look good, without being obnoxious.
gunmetal grey and black? gloss, dont want to be another flat-painted mini truck.
help me out here anyone got any ideas?
i would like to set it up either one color each above and below the body crease line. or one color with the other on the accenting parts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:26 am 
Addicted to LUV

new weber 32/36 dgev is getting ready to go into the truck :)
the last of my big problems almost solved

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:37 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Great job on the truck so far!! I cringed when I saw the sheared nuts on the old block from the timing chain. I really hope mine hasn't done the same......

Jw, did you replace the whole engine or just the block? And do you know where you can even find a good G180? I'm thinking I might just swap the engine I got now for a whole new one (threw timing chain, bent valves, etc.). Also, let us know how the new carb boosts ur performance, :ebiggrin .

2002 Mazda B4000 4x4
1978 Chevy LUV - Sold :(
1990 Kawasaki EX500
2008 Yamaha TTR230

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:00 am 
Addicted to LUV

thank ya :)
its a new block, head, valve cover, water pump, oil pan... pretty much everything is new but the crankshaft and carb. but now i have a brand new weber about to go in :twisted:

yeah that was pretty gnarly when i pulled the old engine out and saw that. which pretty much sold me on buying a new engine.. mine was pretty extreme to be messed up that bad, i wouldnt expect yours to be as bad
not sure if you can buy a new one anymore. i was planning on doing a full rebuild and recondition on the engine i pulled out and sell it. so that may be an option. check ebay you never know what you will find.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Finally got the new weber installed and got it running 
Drives much better now, response is definitely up,

FINALLY FOUND THE PLUGS FOR THE HEAD! Since it needs 14mm w/ 1.25 threads for the plugs… i bought a 14mm steel rod and 1.25 14mm thread die. Threaded and cut to length with flat screwdriver slots cut into them. With some anti-seize they went right in and are working great!

Also bled the brakes, replaced the headlights & driver side door hinges (thank ya cat), put in a new carpet home depot indoor/outdoor black rug cut to fit, and replaced the cut coil wire with a solid core wire.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

:lol: glad to see my coke bottle / recovery tank idea caught on! lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:58 am 
Addicted to LUV

Figuarus wrote:
:lol: glad to see my coke bottle / recovery tank idea caught on! lol

lol replaced the warped partially melted water bottle that was there when i got it X^D

gets the job done :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

HA!! finally hot it fixed again... :lol: :roll:
runs sweet with that weber :D

next on the list will be the dash and im thinkin about making a center console to clean up the look a bit.
wheels and tires are a good possibility. need a lil bigger tires X^D nothing huge just bigger than 24 1/2"... come on... 3600 @ like 55.... garbage :evil:
thinking about looking for a trooper power steering setup to convert to my luv. would be nice in town :D
after i pop the dents out and remove the rear bumper it will be time for paint :ebiggrin

hoping for some progress in the two week range

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:47 pm 

Glad to hear that it's working properly :smt023

1979 Luv 2wd, rebuilt impulse G200, Weber 32/36, Offy intake, Delta cam, Pacesetter header, Flowmaster, 2 1/4 inch pipe, lowered 4 inches, Bed shortened 10 inches, 1997 Tahoe wheels with 225/50R16 Toyo Proxes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

okay... so i have my spare G180 block, pistons, rods, blah blah blah... spare g180 head all that..
i really want to build it up as a turbo motor for a swap to the luv when done.
before anyone starts throwing out swap in this or that... i want to keep it 4wd. which is why i want to build the g180 up. if i pick up a 2wd at some point i will start considering some intense swaps... supra 1jz twin turbo... mazda 13bt rotary.. but for now its the g180

im weighing my options and trying to decide the best route. i picked up a second job today so im gonna be investing more in the luv soon

okay i am NOT an expert & i HAVE NOT spent years building engines and havent had the time in my life to become all knowing and wise about all of this... so im asking for some info from someone one who is and has.

I THINK the way i should go is this:

**Block**
*G180 block. just cuz i already have one.. maybe a tiny bit of decking to make sure it has a perfect surface to keep my head gasket lasting longer.

**Head**
*G200 head (bigger valves, and lower compression to allow higher boost level)
OR... take my spare G180 head to my uncles milling machine do an angled valve job and port it a bit... does anyone know the difference between g180/180 head and 180/200 head compression is???
what valve springs should i be using if i run boost? will the stock ones hold out or should i be looking for something like a 350 spring?

*reground cam. not sure on what the specs will need to be but that bridge will come when it comes.

**Manifolds**
*custom fab'd intake and exhaust manifolds
*[thinking about using fuel injectors, throttle body, sensors and harness off a boosted civic my buddy has sittin in his garage to make a custom EFI manifold with a bit more equal length between the inlet and the individual cylinders.
not sure what the best setup is going to be. any advice would be appreciated.
*i learned how to make a turbo exhaust header from Ozgemini.com going to go for an external wastegate. depending on the turbo i find. i will make a manifold for whichever turbo i get.

**Turbo Setup**
*T25-T28 or T3/T4 turbocharger (or something in that approx size range)set at about 10 PSI boost or so. depending on tuning. im sure it will be higher when im done.
then plumb the BOV and the wastegate to dump into the downpipe for a bit more stealth 8)
front or side mount intercooler. havent decided yet.. side mount has some good potential mounting spots but front could go low with no problem.

**ETC**
*Oil cooler to help keep everything running well longer. as well as heat wrapping and whatever effective engine bay heat protection and added air flow i can get. hood vents?

im trying to make this setup as cheap as i can while still having a significant increase in power and still keep it reliable.

im fairly new to the whole performance engine thing.. im used to my motocross bikes which come factory tuned out for balls to the wall power. but i get the principle and the limits of the stock engine. which is why i wanna boost it!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:23 am 
Addicted to LUV

well got a bit done over the day,
changed the transmission oil and ran seafoam through it.
changed fluid in both differentials and in the hubs

i need some bigger wheels and tires :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

finally got enough on my check to get some parts for the luv..
going to replace the front wheel bearings either this weekend or early next week. and in the next couple weeks i will be swaping it to electronic ignition and gathering up the rest of the parts to switch over to EFI for the turbo which will be coming soon after the efi.

Finally getting good hours at work :twisted: budget jump :lol:

will be posting it all as i go. found the donor vehicles for all of the parts on my list nearby so it will be quick once i get to the yards. one trip will get everything i need 8) i'll try to get pics of what i pull to post along with the list.
gotta do a bit of grinding on a few things and a bit of welding here and there to make it perfect for me. in the end i think im gonna be real happy with it :lol:

decided on paint. going two tone, purple and saphire blue sprayed over black to keep it dark with a bit of red flake in the clear

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:07 pm 
Addicted to LUV

made a run down to NAPA today and picked up a few things for the luv today

got new front wheel bearings. inners, outers and seals.
both u-joints for the rear driveline
new front brake pads
and a exhaust manifold to pipe seal.
total cost $228 :evil:

gonna swap it all out today on my day off and get back on the road tomorrow.

will try to get a few pics but my camera has been glitchy lately so we'll see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next