LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:57 am 
Addicted to LUV

Howdy from a older newbie. This is my new project that replaces my 63 Chevy stepside that I had been driving for 20 years. I had a 76 LUV back in the 80's and thought I would give it another go. I couldn't pass up this one either. Purchased new by the grandfather, passed on the the grandson who then dropped in the 307 and t350 back in '88. Needless to say it need to be freshened up a tad and that is where I come in. It runs and drives doesn't smoke or leak that I can tell yet anyway. The most immediate problem is the stock rearend that I was told has 4:56 rear gears. That and the 14" 60 series rear tires makes 50mph a challenge. I have already found some great info here and will try and learn more as I go.

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:05 am 
da LUV masta

You have a very nice truck!
I like the "factory" look of the engine - with the OEM breather and exhaust manifolds.

Welcome to the site!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:01 am 
da LUV masta

very nice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:25 am 
Step-side Guru

very nice... i like the 72 thought some parts are 72 only and harder to come by

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:08 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

nice truck. I like it. I like the bed even more. at first i never like that bed. but lately I have been liking that bed. it would go great with the Ideas i got for my truck.......want to trade...... :D ..... :lol: . look forward to the refreshing of your luv.

&
Project-soon to be revived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:16 pm 

Nice truck. My LUV is a 72.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I don't know if I want a bed swap but I'll keep it in mind.

I got the pink slip in the mail today so I took it out for a cruise. I got about 2 blocks and lost the brakes completely. The left rear wheel cylinder let loose. Good thing walgreens has brake fluid. I pulled the drum off pushed the boot back onto the cylinder and bolted it up and limped it home. I consider myself lucky at this point. 8O

I bought a 3:42 carrier today and should have it on Friday so I'll fix it all at once.

If anyone needs a 3:42 try car-part.com

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:45 am 
Addicted to LUV

Nice looking truck.

Sometimes too much to drink isn't enough!!
Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken.
http://www.wildluvracing.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:36 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I had a nice full day of playing in the driveway today. I started out with a run to the hot rod swap meet in long beach where I picked up an arm load of goodies for the LUV.

I did some rust rehab on the floors starting with brushing and scraping the loose rust away. then treating the rust with a rust remover/inhibitor. I followed that up with a coat of rustoleum satin black. I think the floors are still pretty good for now.

I also spent a little time under the hood trying to figure out what I can take off. Does anyone know what the air cannister behind the battery is for? It has several vacuum lines going to it and I don't see it in the manual.

I replaced the stock GM air cleaner since it was sitting on a Holley and didn' really fit. It is a weird model Holley too, so far I show it listed for a Dodge/Chrysler. It seems to work fine but the frankenstein linkage has to go.

The time change gives me a few hours of light a night to play with the truck. Next up is the 3:42 install and 4 wheel brake job.

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:59 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I like the wood around the gauges and the glove boxs :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:09 am 
Addicted to LUV

That looks like alot of work will be needed, I will save you the trouble and come pick up the truck for $300.00 8) .

Nice truck you have, I wish I could have started out with a truck like yours instead of one that was a step away from a basket case. Looks like more proof that we dont need to cut the firewall or core support to install a small block.

The cannister behind the battery is a fuel evap system, looks like some one used this from the donor car. I would bet that some one tried to keep this smog legal whrn the swap was done.

If it does not have it allready I would upgrade the front brakes to disc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:36 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Luvrv8 wrote:
That looks like alot of work will be needed, I will save you the trouble and come pick up the truck for $300.00 8) .

Nice truck you have, I wish I could have started out with a truck like yours instead of one that was a step away from a basket case. Looks like more proof that we dont need to cut the firewall or core support to install a small block.

The cannister behind the battery is a fuel evap system, looks like some one used this from the donor car. I would bet that some one tried to keep this smog legal whrn the swap was done.

If it does not have it allready I would upgrade the front brakes to disc.

$300 huh? I'll have to think about it...

The motor was swapped in 88 and done legit per state guidelines. Now that it is off the books for the smog checks I want to remove everything that isn't needed under the hood. Steve the previous owner used an article in Truckin magazine to do the swap. It even has a stock mechanical fuel pump, which I didn't think would fit. I also have to rework the weak alternator bracket which was fabricated from scatch and looks like it. Disc brakes are on the list.

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:12 pm 
da LUV masta

Nice job, and nice truck. Another 72 guy, we're building up quite an army.

Yeah you don't need fuel evap if you are not doing smog; but a small block can be smog legal if you keep all the equipment the engine originally had in the year it was made.

Everyone please note that the small block fits just fine with exhaust manifolds. I know people are in love with headers but for all except out and out racing, I think manifolds work just fine and as you can see they fit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:19 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

got lucked up on that one looks retty solid good lookin luv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:40 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Nice truck, I see you are using the fan in front of the water pump most on here don't have enough room too run one like that what did you do different?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:15 am 
Addicted to LUV

Nice truck it reminds me of mine when i had the 283 in it.

As for the fan i had one on mine all you need is the short water pump and pulleys.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:34 am 
Addicted to LUV

smokey wrote:
Nice truck, I see you are using the fan in front of the water pump most on here don't have enough room too run one like that what did you do different?

Well, I bought it like you see it. When I was working on the rusty floors I found a plate pop rivited along the front of the trans hump. I am guessing the firewall was cut into a bit. It was done just like the how to article on this site. They say you need a inch between the fan and radiator and I would say it is right at 1" at the most. The radiator was rebuilt as a 4 row too, but if it ever leaks a drop I will go with a new aluminium unit. I am not going for an 8 second drag truck, I just want something to mess with the "tuners" heads. :lol:

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:29 am 
Addicted to LUV

I suggest you keep the way under rated 307 in the truck and build on that in the future as those little motors are all most indestructible. If you are looking to get more out of it in the future there are plenty of stock chevy parts that will up the performance and not kill the drive-ability of the motor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I did a test patch on the cab b-pillar and you have to love single stage paint. You can abuse the hell out of it and with some elbow grease and the right polish it comes back pretty good. I also did the top half of the right front fender with really good results.

Attachments:
pillar.jpg
pillar.jpg [ 50.55 KiB | Viewed 73840 times ]

Three Amigos
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Well I did a to get 12 hour wrench session today on the Luv. I power washed the differential and undercarriage last night to try and get most of the muck off. The seals were clearly blown in the old carrier as there was oil and grime everywhere.

Swapping a 3:42 in for the stock 4:56
I started out pulling off 2 bolts for the carrier and then backed out one of the studs for reference. I shot over to pep boys and got 2 90mm bolts for the 81 carrier I picked up (2 bolt holes on the 81 carrier require longer bolts). Everything went pretty easy except breaking loose the old carrier, that took some work. My old unit was shot turning it felt gritty and was binding up. The new one was smooth. Here is where I freaked. Both ring gears had 41 teeth and when I turned to pinion it went 3.5 turns per full rotation of the gear. So I am thinking I got a 4:56 replacement not the 3:42 it was supposed to be. I was pissed, but I wasn't going to put that grinding carrier back in so I went on. It went together smooth and easy and after wrapping up the rearend I replaced both rear wheel cylinders and shoes cleaning everything along the way.

After wrapping up the brakes I fire it up and go for a short cruise. Well its a 3:42 for sure I don't know how but it is. Before it would almost shift into 3rd by the time you crossed an intersection. Now it cruises nice shifts like a car is supposed to. I cruised around a bit and I am amazed at the driveability now. Honestly the 4:56 made it drive like a john deer and the top speed was probably 45 without making it scream. I was going between 45-50 and the tach was on 2k. I think I may keep the 14"s on it now its that much better.

I think its a cake walk from here, everything else I want to do is easy stuff.

Here is a photoshop of what I want to do to the truck.
Attachment:
myluv.jpg
myluv.jpg [ 87.85 KiB | Viewed 73821 times ]

Three Amigos

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next