LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: update on my ECOLUV
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:54 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I thought that I would move this post from the drivetrain to here and give some update as I have not talk much about my project. as of recent I have found a t5 trans and trying to figure out what its out of. the guy told me it was out of a 89 s10 but he casting #'s tell me differnt. but ether way it will work once I get the bell housing ordered. and now I dont think I will go with the side drafts and stick to injection....or, supercharged. the guy I got the motor from has a 06 ecotec ss with computer and everything needed. and cheap. so Ive been held back for sometime but hope to get back into it. so I hope to have some updated pictures soon to share. and still looking for a rear end. if anyone is selling a pup rear end with 3.73s or close to that and live in california hit me up.

&
Project-soon to be revived

Post subject: Re: update on my ECOLUV
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:01 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

look at the location of the shifter on the T5

if its way far forward, you can probably bet is either an S10 or Astro Van.

if the shifter is down towards the end of the tail shaft its probably an Fbody.

A.j.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:26 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Its far forward. Im just trying to find out the gear ratios. but every where I look its telling me its a 1984 mustang/capri 5.0 v8. but Im going to count the input shaft splin to see if it will work with the clutch plate im going to use. if you know a better place to look to fine out the casting numbers on the trans let me know. the number 13-065-913. thanks.

&

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:22 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

?uestLuv wrote:
Its far forward. Im just trying to find out the gear ratios. but every where I look its telling me its a 1984 mustang/capri 5.0 v8. but Im going to count the input shaft splin to see if it will work with the clutch plate im going to use. if you know a better place to look to fine out the casting numbers on the trans let me know. the number 13-065-913. thanks.

casting numbers usually lie when it comes to the T5... as many cases have been used in other applications since it was bascily the same.

if you can tell me more about what it originally came out of then I can be about 95% accurate on the gear pack.

being that it was S10, that limits us to 2 choices, V6 or 4cyl. so it should have a 14 spline input shaft. with that alone, we can donote it either has a 3.76:1 first or a 4.03:1
The stock clutch from the S10 should fit in the ecotech pressure plate as there both a 9 1/4 disc.

one thing to remember, if you have any real intentions of throwing power at this transmission, consider looking for a F-body V8 unit. I myself have lost many 4cyl T5s behind my iron duke 4 banger.

A.j.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:36 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

ok I"ll check the splin mabe today but its out of a 89 4cyl I think its the 2.5. so what your saying is if I go with a supercharged 2.2 ecotec the I'm better off with one out of the camaro which would be a wc borg waner t-5? I dont really plan on diving it hard. would the s10 t5 still be ok for just everday driving, and the the every now and then speeding. if the s10 t5 are that weak, can I just get a rebuilt kit that fix the weak links in them? O and thank for helping out dr_frankenstein56. I'll try to see if I can get some pic's of it up here soon.

&

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:13 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I have a turbo Iron duke 2.5 that was holding solid high 11s with the F-body T5 .... before I upgraded to the V8 unit it was maybe a month or 2 with the 4cyl or V6 trans before 3rd and 4th gear would let loose. I estimate im making 300 to 375 hp which is right around the factory HP rating of the standard T5s.

if you intend on just crusing and the occasional blast, the 4cyl version should be fine.
But if your going to go through all the trouble of supercharging etc.. etc.. why waste time the first round and put a potential time bomb behind your engine? I just dont see the point. your a guy... and well if theres power under the hood your not just gonna fart around.... think about it.

A W/C camaro unit is beefier than the standard V8 T5, as the W/C unit will take about 500HP in the stock form before it begins to have issues. But there not easy to find, as ther were only available in the 92 and later camaros.

You can beef up the 4Cyl T5 to the point of the standard Camaro V8 t5 buy simply swapping the guts, but it would be cheaper to just find a reg camaro T5. You can upgrade either a 4,6 or 8 cyl T5 to W/C status if you can afford to buy all of the guts needed to do it and have the trans assembled at the same time. But from what you described its almost certain your T5 trans has the 4.03:1 first gear pack.

I dunno, I may be suggesting an "Over Build" but I myself dont like to have to do things twice.... and I dont like gears slamming into the floor at 6000RPM either when they blow. So this is what I have pulled together as a very solid recipe for the weekend drag racer or drifter who would rather spend time blasting around, then under a truck pulling a trans out. do it right the first time, spend the money, and never look back.

If you need any other help or what not, I can give you my number in a PM .... feel free to ask.

:lol: A.j.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:20 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Your right. its just Im trying to do all this on a budget. So even more reason why I should do it right the first time. Well it looks like im in serach of a new trany. and I didnt want the 4.03:1 first gear version anyway. so thanks for your very convincing words :D . and I will hit you up for your number or just send you a pm when I find another t5 so I dont get burn :lol: . thanks again.

&

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:33 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

well its been some time and I dont have any updates on my project. havent even touch it. all do to empty pockets. but I have been trying to get info. I've decided to keep it fuel injected. found someone who can program the stock computer. also Im saving up to buy a saturn sky trans and motor mounts. and well my daily driver finaly has been giving me problems. went to do a tune up and the spark plug came out with the heli coil that the last owner used to fix it with. :x . so I bought a new one and some good O JB weld and it did great for some time till.... wait for it :D ...... KA BOOOOMM!!!! out went he spark plug.... so after a few times and then the hole finaly geting bigger. i manage to nik the valve. I didnt look this time to make sure. I had to use my spare head. and havent had time to finish putting it back together. so miss driving my truck and no money to work on my 75, i have been enjoying watching all of your projects. so keep up the good work and hope to have some up date in the near future. I might post my daily driver up here for fun ( it nothing special). :D

&

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:20 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I feel your pain on the money side. I'm waiting and watching for updates.