It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

weld rear end?
yes 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
no 57%  57%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: rear end
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:35 am 

so i am wondering how well does the stock rear end in a 1980 hold up if welded? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:04 am 
Addicted to LUV

i'm not a big fan of welding the rear gear up... i prefer to go with a full locker if i have a need for something like that. but that's just my .02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:32 am 
Banishment Pending

If it's going to see any street time whatsoever don't weld the rear, if it's going to be trail only then i think It would be ok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:09 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

weld it all the way. its cheap and it works. dont listen to anybody. just cause youll be running it on the street doesnt mean that you should be forever open diffed on the trails as well. i run a welded rear end in my yota and it see asphalt 95% of the time. true you will go through tires ALOT faster but luv's are light so they wont go through them as fast. so WELD IT!!!!!!! then technically you would have a locker...... a LINCOLN locker.... oooo, white boy made a funny.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:02 pm 
Banishment Pending

you've never driven a locked truck in snow or ice have you :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:16 pm 
Chevyrace4x4 wrote:
weld it all the way. its cheap and it works. dont listen to anybody. just cause youll be running it on the street doesnt mean that you should be forever open diffed on the trails as well. i run a welded rear end in my yota and it see asphalt 95% of the time. true you will go through tires ALOT faster but luv's are light so they wont go through them as fast. so WELD IT!!!!!!! then technically you would have a locker...... a LINCOLN locker.... oooo, white boy made a funny.....

I totally agree. I have a 89 firebird with a mild 350 in it and a bone stock rear end 7.5 ring gear with 2.73 gears and my dad welded the rearend about 7 years ago and he drove it to work every day and then gave it to me so i let my girlfriend have the car and she drives it every day to work to the store and she even races on the weekends when i take my luv to the track. we have never had any problem out of it . and most people will say that a 7.5 rearend is week but this thing has been through hell and is still together today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:42 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I like welding, as long as the rear end is strong to start with, or incredibly weak and your gonna replace it anyways. As far as your question and how long it will last, well that depends on the condition your rear end is in. If shes miled out and sloppy, then it won't last long welded, but if shes in good shape, nice and tight, then it would probably serve you a better part of the trucks life welded up. Just something to throw at ya.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:38 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

ive got a welded rear end in my truck and its been up in the snow (3'+) and on ice. it not that difficult to drive in. as far as a welded front end in the snow, that just shouldnt be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:24 pm 
this space for rent

if you going to lock up a rear that sees street millage with a manual tranny, spool it or weld it. No question there. The reason being that if you get into snow and ice the second you let off the gas to shift the locker will disengage then lock back up and send you sideways. With a spool/welded it never unlocks and is predictable. I have drivien locked rears and a welded rears and i prefer the welded/spooled rout. Its just more predictable and theres no moving parts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:13 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

exactly. with a welded rear end you only goes sideways when you want it to. you just have to be careful about goin around sharp corners in the rain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:32 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

i have to agree with the driving in the snow with a locked rear. yes it is predictable because you are always gonna be sliding a little bit. and with a limited diff or n e thing like that will only engage hard if u decided to be a jackass and stop the pedal when its not necassary. the best route in locking a rear end up is an air locker then you have the best of both worlds when you want witch is key.and you wont have to worry about going through tires or not having enough traction. espesially if it is gonna be on the street.