LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:28 am 

Hey booneybuster
Wheres the pic's? I dont see no pic's on this.
hey I am going to need your help if your willing. you seem to be the most knowledgable on the straight axle conversion.
I am about to undertake that project. I have axles out of early 80's yota. I am not going to do much lifting right now, im just going to try and get them mounted.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:02 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

i moved the pics so the link broke ( i will try and relink them later on) if you need help just PM me and we can keep from cluttering up the 4x4 section, just shoot me any questions you have and i can hopefully get you through them, i have a bunch of pics from my SAS and i think a few from my friends.

EDIT: WHOOPS! looks like i never posted pics in this thread, well i think i should get on it, I don;t have the bobbed bed on my truck anymore (scrapped it for another idea....TUBE :lol: )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:52 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Ok, here are some pics of the process, thought i had some in the build thread, but i don't so here they are!

First cut, I cut about 1/8" away from the seam line of the tail lights (look at the bed close, you will see the seam i am talking about) so i could remove the extra from the tail light section with ease.

Then i made my second cut, to take out the "excess" i took out 12" total.

Here is the extra, plus you can see the tail light section hanging upside down behind it.
Here is the tail section:

Then came the dovetail, this was a little harder and didn't turn out as well as i'd hoped, mainly because the bed i started with was a rust bucket, but i started by cutting about a 1/2" from the inside of the bed rail, the length of the remaining bed.

Second cut was the hard one, I used a chalk line to sort of get an idea of where i was going, looking back i think i would have chopped the fenderwells out completely and readjusted them accordingly.

Here you can see the bed has "dissapeared" :lol:

Here are two of it outside (i have since cut the bed to shreds and put tube in it's place.

Here are a few from when i finished up the tailgate for it. and what it sort of looked like.