LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:48 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

well i know with the IFS if we over articulate then we pull a front tire off the ground and the the is no pull in the front so we have to rely on the back pushing us... well i was thinkin that if i was to weld up the gears. but not to that the other gear just bridge 2 teeth on each side of the gear it would be kinda like a limited slip in the front. It shouldn't affect street driving either be cause it not full time 4x4. I dont think that the four banger could brake the front end unless it has major upgrades. what do you guys think. just so you know i saw this on the peterson 4x4 website on a sameri so it has been done...it sounded like a great upgrade for a 4x4 luv!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:03 pm 
da LUV masta

Go fer it!!!! ANd let me know how it turns out!!!!! :o)

You should be ok, unless you are running 36" swampers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:56 pm 
this space for rent

I would not do this. Whith a welded or locked front diff it becomes extremley hard to steer. Power steering(maybe even hydro) would be mandatory if you feel like turning in 4wd...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:36 pm 
Banishment Pending

Be prepared to break a CV or two if you do any serious 'wheeling with a locked front end, oh and you'll also need some pretty big fore arms to turn the wheel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:08 am 
Addicted to LUV

If ALL you wheel on is slick surfaces this would be ok, but there would be a lot of places you would not be happy with it if you happen to see traction every once in a while. The luv IFS diff and axles are also just not up to the stress. CV joints will want to give out, axle shafts will want to break, hubs will want to explode.

Welding a rear is a lot different than a front end as far as how it will hold up. The rear does not see near the amount of differential spin in a turn as the front, and it has no CVs to bind up and break.

That all said, no one has spoke up to say they've done it to a LUV, so we're all talking in theory here. Feel free prove us wrong. What you could do with it is run with only one hub locked, then lock in the other when you need both tires. Then it would be sort of like a selectable locker, only you have to get out of the rig to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:39 pm 
this space for rent

i wheel whith guys that have spooled front axles. In tight turns you can unlock one hub or even just run it that way untill you need both fronts turning. That wont put any undure stress on things. As far as breakage, it all depends on what you have done to your engine. If its stock i bet it would stall the engine before breaking too much stuff...
I was thinking about this for a while and might still do it becouse i mud race. But whith high tractions stuff i dont think it would work well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:01 am 

I have done it, with my other LUV. (no longer have)

It worked well for about 2 weeks, then all hell broke loose and it was new front end time. I was driving through a muddy field to go hunting, and I had it in 4Lo (real muddy) I was about 200 feet in when I heard a loud bang and lost my traction. The truck kicked out ot gear and died, after towing home with the ever handy John Deere. The inside of the pumpkin looked like a bomb went off. The axles had seperated as well.

I never really fixed it just used the truck for 2wh for the rest of it's life about 6 months....

That was my experiance yours may be better.

Rigel

http://www.Rigeltech.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:30 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

well thanx for the hlep guys! it sound way to risky i think i'll just swap in a solid axle and locker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:14 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Well there you have it, a first hand experience. Theory is all well and good, but it is no subsitute for testing and experience.