LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:04 pm 

So I had some 33"s left over from a thrashed truck and I put them on my luv...it took a little creativity, and some lift to fit them, but they are installed. However, Im concerned I will burn out my clutch/gears trying to run 33"s with a stock setup. Unfortunately I cant find anyone that makes lower gears for the luv. Do you guys think I can run these 33"s? Or is that foolish/wishful thinking?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:18 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Your clutch will suffer because your final drive effective gear ratio went from 4.10 with stock 28" tires to about 3.50 with the new 33" tires, but that's all, your gears will be fine. Your acceleration & crawl ratio will suck & your speedo will be way off, but if you can live with these differences then there's no reason you can't continue to run the 33s.
Some diesel and EPA versions of the LUV/Isuzu pickup had stock 3.42 or 3.73 gears, mostly to lower the rpms for increased fuel economy but also to keep the diesel rpms in a better position in the power band at highway speeds. They used the same clutch, tranny & the same strength gears as yours, so they should have a long life as long as they're not abused.
As mentioned in another of your posts the 4.56 geared 3rd members from an early Trooper are a bolt-in for your truck & will return your final drive to around 3.90 with the 33s, or close to what it would be with 31s & stock 4.10 gearing.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:42 pm 

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it! Im going to look for those trooper gears, but for now Ill just run what ive got.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:41 pm 
Addicted to LUV

dieselluv123 wrote:
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it! Im going to look for those trooper gears, but for now Ill just run what ive got.

It may be a long search there arent a whole lot of early troopers still around. Keep eyes peeled for picknpull inventory etc

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride