LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:28 am 

I'm wanting to swap an engine, transmission axles etc completely to pretty much just use the frame and body of a 79 luv. I just bought one in pretty great condition but it's soooo slow, I'm willing to put the time and money in but don't have much of a clue of what may work well with a luv. Also 25 am willing to swap the tranny and engine out if they're compatible with the current drivetrain and axles. I'd love to hear some options and what else has been done. A c10 swap seems fairly common and somewhat simple but I'm more of a motorcycle mechanic ghan a car guy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:20 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Something you might want to try before investing in a full on drive train swap (which will also involve either beefing up or replacing the axles) is to put a set of Pacesetter headers, a Weber carb, Pertronix, and a Delta cam regrind in it.

Hell, pull the valve cover and check valve adjustment. If it's never been done, there's a really good chance half your power is gone right there. Be meticulous with it, though. From what I understand even .003 out will seriously screw with these engines.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Basically only a LUV, and some Isuzu engines, will bolt to the original trans. The transfer case is part of the trans. as is the bell housing. So to swap a 4X4 to a different engine, you pretty much need to swap the trans. and transfer case. If you go too big on the power upgrade, you'll need to swap the axles also.