LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Title issues
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:31 am 

So I bought a 77 luv in California and brought it home to indiana. Then i somehow lost the title. I called the guy I bought it from and he jumped titles and doesn't know who he bought it from. Now what? I don't know what to do.

On top of that I have a luv that WAS titled as a 77, door tag says it's a 74, has 4 headlights, and I know they didn't make 4x4s until 79.....

Post subject: Re: Title issues
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:07 am 
Addicted to LUV

Pull the wiper panel and compare the numbers on the cowl to the number in the door jamb . I believe there are another set on the passenger side rear frame rail . If these match contact the DMV about a lost or bonded title . If that yields no leads then you may need to get a title company involved.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:15 am 
Addicted to LUV

I don't know how it works in Indiana, but here in Mississippi you can call an insurance agency and buy a bond for a title. Take that along with a bill of sale (doesn't have to be notarized...) to the title office. They'll do a search to make sure it's not stolen and has no liens and you get a clean regular title about a month later.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:02 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Since it is a 4x4 ('79 or later) frame with an earlier body ('74 or '77) no way will the body & frame numbers match.
Perhaps the PO can assist in applying for a lost title in CA, then use that to title it as whatever year it was previously registered.