LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:36 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Is there any reason why you couldnt just use jeep leafs and toyota axles as to not have to weld a an extension to the front of the frame? also jeep leafs would fit the frame correctly. Am I crazy or can this actually work. Just seems like someone would have done this by now but I have been searching the threads for hours and cant find anything.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:27 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Of course you can use Jeep leafs- as long as they fit.
Toyota leafs have the axle locating hole MOL in the center, so when the axle is located just slightly forwards of the middle of the wheel opening the front spring eye sticks out past the frame & you have to add a frame extension to have someplace to attach the front spring mount. You may have to lower the front spring mount also since Toyota leafs are practically flat.
Older Jeeps like a CJ-5 often had front spring leafs with the front portion shorter than the rear so that the front eye didn't stick past the frame & the rear portion was long enough to mount to the straight portion of the frame. CJ leafs have more arch than Toyota leafs and are usually mounted under the axle and shackle forward.
My LUV has leafs of unequal length like a CJ mounted spring under/shackle rearwards. They have a great deal of arch- which makes for more sway & shorter bushing life- but there's plenty of steering linkage clearance. I'm not sure there's enough clearance for a SOA. An actual CJ leaf might not fit in the same manner, you'll just have to measure to see. Just be sure the axle is forwards of center of the opening or the tire will rub on the back of the fender & there's not much you can trim there, the front is easier to trim & you can mod the bumper if needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:19 pm 

that is exactly what my luv has is jeep springs and a 1984 toyota front axle and a trouper steering box with all bolt on parts to the colum