LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:55 am 

I'm restoring a 1980 4wd Luv and I have a 1980 2wd parts truck. The 2wd frame looks to be in better shape and I'm toying with the idea of using that frame to use in my resto of the 4wd. I'm assuming the frames are the same but can anyone tell me if this is a fairly easy thing to do?

P.S. I have the 4wd body entirely off the frame. The 2wd parts truck is still complete so I'm comparing by looking at the frame underneath the parts truck. I wanted to get some advice before removing the body from it first. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:24 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Look closely at how the 4wd front axle assembly attaches to the frame, then make sure those attachment points are present on the 2wd frame, they may not be. Also compare control arms & how they attach to be sure they can be swapped. I suspect the 4wd torsion bars are at least a heavier rate than the 2wd, so make sure they will swap also.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:35 am 

Ok, so look at where the front axle, and control arms attach, and be sure the torsion bars will swap. That's all I need to worry about you think? I have no problem transferring everything over as long as it will transfer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:12 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Why not just swap in a solid axle?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:31 am 

I want it to be as original as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:57 am 
Addicted to LUV

In a short answer the 4x4 frame and 2wd frame have cross members in different areas and there is no place to bolt the front IFS diff to the 2wd frame. It would be a big up hill battle.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:22 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

78chevyluv wrote:
Why not just swap in a solid axle?

If you change your mind and go this route use the 2wd frame, a whole lot less to cut off & discard, so it's a lot easier than starting with a IFS 4wd.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:10 am 
Addicted to LUV

conparing mine to pics i have seen it seems like the 4wd motor mounts are in a different spot. not positive but it looks that way.
i converted my 4wd to rwd but i kept the stock front suspension i was told two wheel drive control arms dont have the same mount points but i never checked to confirm that. you have a goodnbit or measuring ahead of you. are you wanting to lift it more than 2.5-3" or stay about stock height

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:22 am 

Sorry guys I just saw the replys. Maybe it would be easier to repair the 4wd frame. I plan on keeping it stock hieght. Any ideas on on a good place to get new suspension parts?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:38 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

In a word NO. To much is different. Engine mount are in the same position, however the trans mount is completely different. Easiest way to conver from two wheel drive to 4 wheel drive would be to buy a different truck. You may be able to find a 4WD frame in a salvage yard. If you change the frame be sure to take the bill of sale with frame number to the local DMV and have it included on your title. A vehicle with non matching serial numbers could get you in jail for GTA and an expensive lawyer bill to get it cleared. Highly unlikely that anyone would check thou.