LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: axle swaps
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:47 pm 

can i just take my axles now off and throw some 3/4 ton or is there more that i need to do if i want to leave the rest alone just swap axles

Post subject: Re: axle swaps
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Sure you can. But after you do that think how far the tires will be sticking out. After you just throw them in I guess you can figure out how drive shafts will hook up. Then it might be fun to add steering.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:59 am 

I have seen people put toyota axels on luvs that mite be easy to do and if u want a biger truck you could put 5 or 6 inch lift springs on it

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You replied to a 2 year old post, I am sure he figured it out by now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:22 am 

Ohh im a new meber sory

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:33 pm 
da LUV masta

Any additional information is always welcome. Specifics are better than generalities though.
The front axle on a LUV is an Isuzu Corporate 8. Not sure what else that came in that would be easier to find than a LUV. The rear is an Isuzu Corporate 10. Lots of newer vehicles came with the same third member in the front, and Isuzu didn't change the cut of the gears, so as a front diff, it drives on the coast side. Which means it's perfectly capable of being used as a rear third for a stock LUV. I'm not sure about 2 wheel drive LUVs, but these trucks don't like the high gearing in the stock 2wd rear. I've seen new IC10 bolt thirds with as much as a 4.56.
Now, as much as I'd like to drop the gears a bit more, the stock 4.10 in the 4wd LUV seems to be just about right for a stock engine with stock sized tires. Makes the engine start to really scream at about 85, but it allows for more power on the bottom end, and who takes one of these trucks to 85 regularly anyways? RPMs don't bother these engines too much, the bottom end is pretty stout.

If you're looking for an improvement over the stock axle traction wise, plenty of IC 12 bolts (Rodeos, Pathfinders [yeah, Honda], Amigos, and P'ups) are pretty close to the right size to fit, and limited slip was a much more common option.
Also, the later Isuzus came with modified Dana 44 axles in the back. Lots of aftermarket there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:28 pm 
da LUV masta

Have to add to my above post, front thirds need to have a thrust block added to function properly as a rear third.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:16 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

ret1614 wrote:
Have to add to my above post, front thirds need to have a thrust block added to function properly as a rear third.

Only the internals (R & P and differential carrier) will interchange, the differential housings are a different shape front & back, one won't bolt up to the other.
As to straight axle swaps: LUV axles are 54" WMS to WMS, the only thing close to the same width are early Toyota axles at 55-1/2", & most came with 4.10 gears. For comparison GM axles are 63"- 65". When installing a straight front the frame needs extended for the front spring mount points & make sure to set the axle forwards of the wheel opening center a couple of inches- LUVs have very small fender openings, the front corners are easy to trim for tire clearance, the rears aren't.