LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2" lift shocks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:06 pm 

I've been trying to find some shocks for my 2" lifted 80 4wd. The parts stores try to sell me ranchos or say they'll look for some other kind but I give up on them. I'm trying to go cheap like Monroe gasmatics or something, I'm going to be going with more lift someday and don't want to drain the bank account for shocks I'll use for less than a year. Any of you lifted guys let me know what you're using, I still have the stock front suspension and rear axle. thanks

1968 Ford Fairlane Fastback, next in line

Post subject: Re: 2" lift shocks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:59 pm 
Addicted to LUV

they have ranchos for 2" lift on rockauto $46 piece they have a ton of shocks on there for luvs

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:58 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

If you still have your stock front suspension the travel hasn't changed, it's limited by the stops on the upper & lower control arms. No matter how much you lift it with the torsion bars the travel can't increase, so you don't need longer shocks for the front. Even if you go with shorter or even no bump stops the stock shocks should have enough overtravel to work. If you still want something longer a Ford half-ton pickup/Bronco from the '70s through the mid '90s uses the same style shock & often the exact same shock(at least for Troopers). Pick a brand of shock, see if there is a front shock that has a part number common to both Ford & Isuzu, there will be different part numbers for "X" inches of lift for the Ford, pick one as long as you think you need, just be careful they compress enough or you will break out the top shock mount- done that. My SAS LUV has run front shocks that fit a Ford pickup for years.
You can select a longer shock for the rear using a similar method, I think the rear shocks from an early GM half-ton fit, as will any shock with the proper size eye on each end, you just need to check the travel, I would have at least an inch or better two of both compression & extension past the maximum travel limits of your suspension. First though I would check to make sure you actually need a longer rear shock. I assume you added a leaf or longer shackles to lift the rear, & since the bottom shock mount is under the axle the shock starts off extended a bit farther than at stock ride height. The compression won't change, when the axle hits the bump stop the shock quits getting shorter at exactly the same spot as before the lift. Raise the rear of the truck until the suspension is fully extended, take the bottom of the shock loose & let it extend fully. Measure how much the shock mounting eye extends below the mounting bolt, if you have a couple of inches your shocks are long enough until you add more lift.
A too-short shock is better than one too long. Too short damages the shock while too long damages the shock and the mounts- you're only stopping the weight of the suspension or axle by overextending, you're stopping the weight of the vehicle by overcompressing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:58 pm 

I'm mostly worried about the rear, the front has about 1 inch down travel on a good day :lol: I don't want to go with ranchos though, I have them on my 89 and they are definitely not worth the money in my opinion, they ride waaaay to stiff witch is something I don't need in my rickety luv. I had a suspicion that 1/2 ton chev shocks might work, I'll look for some and see what I can find. This helps a lot, thanks

1968 Ford Fairlane Fastback, next in line

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:04 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

You can get more downtravel by going with a low profile bump stop at the upper control arm or grinding yours down. You can get them from Independant 4x4 or direct from Energy Suspensions. A little bit more clearance inboard where the bump stop is makes about 3 or 4 times that much travel at the wheel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:48 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I post on dead threads so when people search they could still find the answers. Full size gm shocks in the rear when lifted. Stock shocks are way to short. Front shocks stay the same. Also you can flip the bolts and leaf plates to the top of the axle to gain more height and I have done this and it works great.