LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:25 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Do you know if it is okay to flat tow a 79' 4x4 LUV with a tow bar and the front hubs unlocked, just by putting the truck in 2 - Low, and the manual trans in N?

about a month ago, I flat towed an 80' LUV 2WD just over 500 miles. I got a cheap harbor freight tow bar and welded the brackets to the LUV frame, and it pulled just fine no problems. WAY easier than when I trailer them. All I did was put the truck in neutral - nothing to the driveshaft. I've read however that some 4x4s can not be flat towed because it puts wear on the trans and the fluid isn't flowing -- or something like that.

I did read this older thread related to the topic.
http://forums.luvtruck.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19723&p=143701

about half way down, rezkid says;
Quote:
only prob with pulling the rear driveshaft out completely is that unless you have a plug you'll end up losing most of your tranny fluid.

I'd say disconnect the rear and wire it up like TJ said, and then just unlock the front hubs and leave both the tranny and t-case in neutral. I've towed mine like that numerous times and haven't had a problem with it

Could anyone elaborate on what he is saying to do? Is he saying if you unlock the front hubs? What is meant by "disconnect the rear" then?

Thanks! Got a little over a week to haul this bad boy down to get the out of state VIN inspection done, where all they do is check that the VIN matches the title, then I can get a plate for this bad boy. Just want to make sure nothing is damanged for the haul across town to the station.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:54 am 
Addicted to LUV

what he is saying is disconnect the driveshaft from the rear differential but leave the front end of the shaft in the transfer case so the fluid doesnt leak out, then you would hang the rear end of the driveshaft up with a strap, i used a tie down that i usually use for my dirtbikes to hold mine up for towing about 120 miles. and you leave the front hubs in 4x2 and the trans in neutral with the case in 2wd, that way the transmission is completely stationary instead of being spun by the rear end without the trans oil pump to lubricate it.

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:34 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Isuzu trannies are lubed by the bottom gears turning while bathed in oil & splashing the lube onto the rest of the tranny internals. When being towed in neutral only the mainshaft is turning, no lube is being splashed, so the turning parts are limited to only the lube that they had when the tow started. If you tow without disconnecting the driveshaft at the differential it is best to keep the tow short & the speed way down.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:19 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I see... so I likely put a lot of wear on the 80 LUV since I didn't disconnect the driveshaft... :cry: oh well, it didn't break because after we got it to the dest, I started it up and drove it around a little. Guess I'll just have to be more careful next time.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:42 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I have the old owners manual that came with my LUV, and found this - agrees with what you all said.

It also says if you drive under 35mph for less than 50 miles, you don't have to disconnect anything, but if you are going to do more than that, you have to disconnect the rear driveshaft.

Sorry it is blurry. I took it with my cell phone and blew it up on my computer.