LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:32 am 

I've lurked on here for quite awhile, I've had a couple LUV"s including a SAS 79 with a toyota front axle. Anyway, the story on this blue luv is that my dad picked it up from eastern Oregon from his now wifes parents house where it has sat engineless since 1995. It seemed the motor went away at 90k original miles and never was put back together. Anyway it sat at my house until October of last year when my girlfriend decided to sell her wagovan and fund the resurrection of the truck for her to use as a daily driver.

I went through the entire fuel system, put in a low mile rebuilt stock 1.8 with a weber 26/27 (?) off a datsun z car, rebuilt some of the front suspension and did front wheel bearings and brakes, got all elctrical working, heaters works fantastic, dual flowmaster exhaust, the torsion bars are cranked and shackles in back, tires are 235/75/15 with late 70s full size chevy steel wheels and hubcaps, i spent some time correcting some front end damage and detailing the grille and headlight area. The truck is overall slightly rough around the edges still but runs pretty good, it should be a good truck for her despite the fact that she lives at 1200 feet elevation and the hill is pretty hard on little 1.8.

anyway heres some pictures i have of the truck.

pretty much the condition it started as

hauling some of my VW stuff

my old sas 79

Last edited by megan-s on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:40 am 
Addicted to LUV

Nice looking trucks. Hang onto the old wheels off the blue one. Someone is always looking for some heart wheels...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:44 am 

mytmouz wrote:
Nice looking trucks. Hang onto the old wheels off the blue one. Someone is always looking for some heart wheels...

funny you mention the wheels. I had to dig down about 8 wheels deep in the HUGE wheel pile/stack at Allamerican Classics in Vancouver to get some of them. They are slightly wider then standard ones you see. I have my eye on a set of 15x8 widened chevy steel wheels a friend of my dad has, that way i can still run the chevy hubcaps, i think that would look neat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:32 am 
Addicted to LUV

you from the vancouver or portland side of the river?
nice looking trucks for sure. what is the plan for the blue one? keep it mostly stock and run it into the ground before you mod it?

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:53 pm 

Im from Washougal WA, its 7 miles east of Vancouver. I've noticed alot of people on this forum are from the Pacific Northwest area. My girlfriend is going to daily drive it for awhile, but we are eventually going to park the luv and do SAS with another toyota axle. very exited for that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:32 pm 
da LUV masta

mytmouz wrote:

I picked up a pair of the Heart wheels the other day at pull and save and am now searching for another pair to complete a set.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:12 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Nice. Washington seems to have all the Luv's.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

jeffklam wrote:
Nice. Washington seems to have all the Luv's.

we have 7 on craigslist right now just in vancouver/portland :lol:

you ever take your 79 up to larch?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:07 am 

My girlfriend lives literally a half mile away from Skamania mines rd (the road on the Washougal side of Larch), so we are literally pretty much on Larch as im writing this. we have only been driving it for about a week but we are planning on cruising the mountain and powerline roads soon. My toyota buddys here wheel Larch and Northfork regularly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:08 am 

Ripper86 wrote:
mytmouz wrote:

I picked up a pair of the Heart wheels the other day at pull and save and am now searching for another pair to complete a set.

i never knew these wheels had a pet name haha. My dad puts these on everything , steel wheels are the shit, going for 15x8 soon hopefully

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:47 am 
Feel the Steel

Just a note, those wheels in the pics are not heart wheels. They are just regular white spokes.

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:55 am 
Addicted to LUV

TILTED wrote:
Just a note, those wheels in the pics are not heart wheels. They are just regular white spokes.

i was thinking that, they are pretty much the same as mine just a plain 8 spoke steel wheel. universal and invincible :lol:

and your lucky you live so close! i take the luv up there once in a while but its usually the dirtbike that gets beat on. the luv has seen a few trails out there and spent time hauling @$$ down some of the roads, needs some bigger tires to do anything more.
should find a little group of locals with 4x4 luvs to take some wheeling trips to some of the mountains around here

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:20 pm 

yea i wouldn't really bother offroading anything with less then 33's. I've had my share of straight axle toyotas, so i know that its not worth beating on something like this just for the hell of it.

So what wheels are you guys referring to as "heart" wheels? Iknow i don't have those nor white spokes.. the ones i have are just mid 70s chevy 15" truck wheels.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

megan-s wrote:
yea i wouldn't really bother offroading anything with less then 33's. I've had my share of straight axle toyotas, so i know that its not worth beating on something like this just for the hell of it.

So what wheels are you guys referring to as "heart" wheels? Iknow i don't have those nor white spokes.. the ones i have are just mid 70s chevy 15" truck wheels.

the heart wheels have little hearts cut out instad of the traingles that ours do. and they arent really "spokes" like a caddy or bike wheel but its still the term for the 8 spokes the steelies have

i agree i was looking into a set of 33's with cherokee axles to go with my 4.3 once its finished

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:58 pm 

oh yea 4.3 t-cases are drivers side drop, too bad cherokee axles are pretty much the only option without going with fullsize axles. Are you going to run parallel leafs on yours? or will you use the cherokee coils springs too?

i think if i sas i will keep the 1.8 and see if i can find a match set of toy axles with 5.29 or something so i can still go up hills haha.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

TILTED wrote:

My bad, I was on my phone when I was (trying) to look at the pics...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:16 pm 
Addicted to LUV

megan-s wrote:
oh yea 4.3 t-cases are drivers side drop, too bad cherokee axles are pretty much the only option without going with fullsize axles. Are you going to run parallel leafs on yours? or will you use the cherokee coils springs too?

i think if i sas i will keep the 1.8 and see if i can find a match set of toy axles with 5.29 or something so i can still go up hills haha.

sadly the case from mine was the awd model not the switchable one, and it was not in the greatest shape so i sold it. but thankfully cases from a th350 will work with the 700r4 so i have some options.. i would be going with coils up front and leaf rear the truck sees 99% daily driving

5.29's would kill you on the highway 8O but it would take hills like a tractor 8)
the 1.8 is pretty sturdy. on a fresh rebuild you could boost it without much trouble :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:55 am 

id be down, haha, cant really afford to do standalone ems though really..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:52 am 
da LUV masta

These are the heart wheels