LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: HUBS!!!! Can't find any
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:28 pm 

Well, this is my first post since I'm brand new to owning a LUV. I recently purchased a LUV after looking real hard for about a month or two. I paid $500, for a 1979 4X4 with 77K on it. The truck was orignally owned by a little ole lady that let her grandkids have at it. The guy I bought it from got it as a daily driver and drove it for about a year. He said he only did maintenance on it (oil change, spark plugs, ect.) I got it with universal joints needing to be replaced in the rear axle, carb work needing to be done (I'm buying a Weber), the rear brakes locking-up when I press the on em, the original exhaust needing replaced and the 4 wheel drive not working. I can put it in 4 low and it pulls in a lower gear, but the front wheels are not turning.

I have not investigated what the problem is yet with the 4X4 not working, but I did look for replacement hubs on the internet and I can't find any! The second day I had the truck, I noticed the hubs where in the "lock" position so I don't know how long they were like that.

Can someone tell me where to find some and how much will they cost? I'm not sure if I even need to replace them yet, but I would like to know how much I will have in the truck if I do.

Also, does anyone have any ideas why the 4x4 not working? Thanks for your time, Jon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:42 pm 

The hubs may be in the "lock" position, but if the mechanisms are froze up/rusty, they may not be engaging. Late last fall I took mine apart brushed all the parts clean, re-packed them and put them back together.

Here is a few hints my old man the mechanic and from what I remember when I did mine. (not necessarily in the exact order as I don't recall it all to a tee).

Go slow and keep all the parts in order (and take pictures) to make it easier putting them back together and only do one hub at a time - if you get confused or screw something up hopefully you can use the other one for reference that way.

Remove the bolts that hold the hub on, be gentle when pulling things out because if you break the engaging or disengaging springs you will be SOL. When removing the snap ring from the axle (and probably some washer type shims) be careful to keep track of their order. When you start to pull things apart you will feel the spring resistance - instead of yanking it apart turn it some (can't remember which way but you should be able to feel it out) and it should begin to come apart.

Oh ya, and there is a tiny ball bearing with a tiny spring that makes it click/lock just inside the part you turn to engage/disengage the hub - be careful not to loose those.

After inspecting all looks to be there and not broken, clean all the parts loosely re-pack with appropriate grease as you assemble it back together.

FYI the last snap ring that goes over the axle when putting it back together is a humdinger even with the right tools. Once I finally got mine started on I used a socket and hammer to tap it on.

I hope this post will make more sense as you start to work on it.
Even if this isn't the root of your problem (hopefully its not your transfer case which it doesn't sound like it is since low gear is going in) it is a good idea to clean and repack them every so often.

I went into knowing nothing and it took about 3.5 hours for one side, and about 1 hour for the other.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:36 pm 

Thanks for your input. It will be put to use this weekend. The biggest problem I have found is not being able to find parts! I have messed with allot of hubs, but it's always been with straight axles. I got the shop manual now, so I'll dive in and see what's going on. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:19 am 

any luck with the 4wd? or input/suggestions for the next guy needing advise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

Ask this guy in GA. He might have hubs. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24814

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Superwench is the ones I replaced mine with, Might want too try those.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

if you want to try a set of used hubs, i might have a set for you. let me know if you're interested.