LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:31 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Like the title says I'm torn between three different ideas for my LUV.

1. I just completely rebuilt the engine and wonder if I should just keep the G180 and do a few small performance mods and call it good.

2. I would like to put a VW TDI mated with a Toyota trans and have a nice diesel LUV and just sell the engine and trans currently in the LUV.

OR

3. I have a good 4x4 K5 blazer frame with the entire drive-train intact which includes: engine, trans, and axles and it has a 6 inch suspension lift on it. The body was messed up in a wreck and is now rusted out so it's junk. I would LOVE to mount the LUV's body to the K5 frame and have a bad@$$ 4x4 and then sell the LUV's frame and drive-train to somebody who could use it. The LUV's wheel base is only 1.5 inches shorter than the K5's but the LUV's overall length from bumper to bumper is around 5 inches longer so the wheel wells would line up pretty good. It would be a fairly straight forward swap just have to do some steering mods for the steering wheel and a few mods to make the brake booster fit. Then cut a hole for the 4x4 shift nob and since the trans in the K5 is auto the main shifter would be and easy job.

So now you can see my dilemma. What should I do and how should I go about it?

If I go with the VW it will be about a year or two before I could actually have it completed. If I go with the K5 frame I could have that done by the end of this summer if everything works out the way it should. Or I could just drive the LUV until it dies then rebuild and drive it til it dies again lol.

So What should I do? All comments and suggestions are welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:34 pm 
Addicted to LUV

DO the one that takes the least amount of time. Most projects tend to get sold half completed because of loss of interest. They aren't any fun, when tyou can't drive them...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:09 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

If I went the K5 route I would go ahead and get the frame and drive-train set up the way I wanted and get all the stuff I needed to actually do the complete swap while I would drive the LUV the way it is until I actually planned on dropping the body on the K5's frame. That way the LUV would have the smallest amount of down time as possible. The same would be for the TDI but it would be a little harder. I would prefer the K5 route just because it is easy to get parts for the suspension and the axles are Dana 60's if I remember correctly so they are pretty stout. That and swapping the body on the frame wouldn't really be that hard just a lot of smaller stuff like the brake booster, shifter, radiator support, heater core, A/C, and steering column.

Plus if I actually have the money to start a project that means I have the money to finish it which doesn't sound right but if you knew me it would make sense. I'm one of those kind of people that won't start a project unless I have enough money saved to start and finish it or at least have it far enough along that is it usable.

So I guess I'm going to go with the K5 route while driving the LUV until I'm ready for the actual swap. This will be a nice project once it gets under way. I should be starting it about the beginning of June due to my current job hours and buying small things here and there for it. The only thing that needs to be done to the K5 is replacing the u-joints, bushings, etc. since it has sat for about 2 years. But the engine has been started every two weeks for like 30 minutes so it should be alright especially since it only has like 40k miles on it.

Any other comments are welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:31 am 
da LUV masta

One thing to consider when it comes to tires and wheelwells - the LUV is 63" wide while the K5 is about 80" wide.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:13 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Not quite 80" but yea I know. I never said they would fit inside the wheel wells :ebiggrin lol. I was just saying they would line up and not have one tire sitting 6" behind one of the wheel wells. I can stick a 38" tire on there and not worry about it 8) Like stated it already has the 6" lift but I might go for the 8" or even a 10" lift. The truck would be kinda unstable on the highway but be a beast off road. Although it won't really be all that top heavy since the truck is already extremely light and also has a wider stance compared to the LUV's stock width.