LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Transmisson Removal
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:04 pm 

Ok, so i just bought my '79 LUV 4x4 with a fried clutch. No biggie.
My question is: How can i remove the transmisson? The rear cross member is only giving me ~2inches of clearance to slide the tranny backward, and i cant believe that the transmission shaft on the front of the motor is that short. Do i have to remove the transfer case so that i can have more wiggle room? The Clymer Manual i bought doesnt even show the Transfer Case in the diagram of the tranny. And it speaks of bolts and other things that either dont exist or are covered in too much mud.
So, what do i need to do? Must i remove the motor and tranny as one piece? What a pain. Give me some insight, O wise and Wonderful LUVers!

Post subject: Re: Transmisson Removal
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:56 pm 
Addicted to LUV

there are several bolts that hold the tranny and engine together. don't forget that the starter bolts also mate the trans to the engine.

i remember it was much easier to just use a cherry picker and yank the engine when i did mine. gives you a chance to clean the engine bay and also clean the engine.

like i said, in my case it was MUCH easier.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:02 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I know what you mean. There's almost enough room, but not quite. It's obvious the 4x4 was an afterthought for Isuzu.

I've done it 2 ways:

1) Remove the motor mount and exhaust bolts and drag the motor forward a couple of inches. This gives just enough room to twist and wiggle the tranny out. This works OK but it's a pain getting the motor lined back up when you put it all back together.
or
2) Remove the transfer case. I've done this several times. Be sure not to lose the spring that comes loose when you remove it. I cut a piece of cardboard to cover the hole while I twisted and wiggled the tranny out. After it's back in, of course, you have to bolt the transfer case back up, under the truck, without screwing it up.

After the last time, I was frustrated enough that I made the crossmember removable. There's info on this site on how to do that, although I didn't do it exactly that way. If you think you'll ever have to remove the tranny again, and if you can weld, I highly recommend it. Of course, following Murphy's law, after I did it I've never had to remove the tranny.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:55 pm 

Update: Ended up wiggling the tranny out by removing the motor mount bolts and sliding everything forward. I should have removed the radiator as it was damaged and had to be repaired while wiggling the tranny/motor assembly. Even with this forward movement we almost couldn't get it out, and when it did come out, it CAME OUT. Flew to the ground and bent the output shaft housing. Great. Luckily a good friend is a talented metallurgist and came to the rescue. Got it back to round and have put a few thousand miles on it with no problems. I also ended up cutting out a small part of the crossmember while leaving the majority of the structure intact, to ease installation and future removals.

As another note, the transfer case had been stuck in 4 low and it turns out that the shift forks were out of their tracks. Someone had removed the transfer case before for some reason and reinstalled it incorrectly.

Everything hums along nicely now, except for a pesky overheating problem i'm going to make a new post about now...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Far easier to remove the engine and tranny together, then reinstall.

If you have a 2 inch or more body lift it is *possible* to get the tranny twisted around and back enough to clear in the front. It might work to unbolt the back 4 body mounts and lift the cab a bit to clear things, though I've never tried that.

As for dropping the tranny, I have always just used some cheapo ratchet straps. They fit around whatever shape, and then just put a 2x4 across the shifter hole in the cab to use to hold everything up. They also give, which allows some swing to move things in/out of place. Even with a trans jack it helps to have a backup strap in place when something slips and falls.

I have figured that the next time I pull the trans in my 79 4x4 I will be making the cross member removable.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:49 am 

Nu to site and , YES , am doing the clutch thing !! Man , you guys R on it !! Am dealing with same dilemma , just shy that extra 2-3 inches !!! Was thinking the same thing about the section of the X-member and am in the process of doing so ! I like the way you guys think !!! Why wasn't this thought of at MFG. is beyond me . and yes , I too was stumped as to ALL manuals NOT addressing this in the "Re Placing the Clutch Sec." ! Been a Mech much all my life and never seen this . LOL . The 2 wheel drive has the removable X-member ! What's up with that ??? :?:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:35 am 
da LUV masta

yea thats the 4speeds the 86 5sp is 5" longer in the same space.. :x
then in 87 they changed the cross member to a bolt in. for the new MUA trans that came out in 88 as its much BIGGER
so theres one year of the 4wd 5sp with the old frame and most all of the trooper diesels where made that year........ :cry: :cry:

if you can, just lift the cab and bed off the frame.
thats how they did it at the factory, engine/trans was installed before the body was put on. :idea: :idea:

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!