LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 4wd not working
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:35 am 

My 1980 luvs 4wd isn't engaging - one of the lock-outs isn't as smooth turning as the other - I'm hopping it just needs new hubs - anything else I should trouble shoot to see what the problem is? - local parts store can't find a supplier. Any thoughts - please help! It's snowing and I hate to see it parked -

Post subject: Re: 4wd not working
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:20 am 
Addicted to LUV

lift and support on stands and run the truck (CAREFULLY) while in 4wd and see what is happening. if the CV shafts up front are rotating, then the problem could be in the hubs. check for excessive wheel bearing play.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:26 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Might need to take them off and clean them, could be to much grease in the locking hub keeping it from engaging. Superwrench has some for the luv they're ok but the stock ones are better. I'd go to the one that fill's stiff to turn first and take it apart but be careful when you try to pull apart you could mess up a good locking hub that all it needs is a good cleaning.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:04 pm 

Took it apart and the inards were all crusty - cleaned it up went to put it back together and lost my spring (not enough coffee yesterday morning) searched the area with fine tooth comb, nothing - found a compatible spring in the corner of a local repair shop. Hope to have time this weekend to get it back together. - FYI I called superwinch and didn't have any luck they just gave me contact info (to no avail) to some people they used to supply them to - but nobody had any left in stock. Anyway I think what I have should work once I get time to tend to it. Thanks all for the input!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm 

Yay! found the spring! fully disassembled the sticky hub cleaned thouroughly greased it up and it's working like a champ!
I opened the other one up and all looked good on it - put a little bit of lube on it. FYI to others - when you take the turning lock from the cap housing apart be careful not to lose the tiny ball bearing and click pen sized spring that make it "click" in to place. Also be prepared to fight with the snap ring that goes over the axle end. Once my buddy helped me get it started it would try to fly back off so we used a large socket (open end) and then tapped it on.

Oh, and AVM sent me a email over the weekend and it looks like they have a hub for those that weren't as lucky as myself.