LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Do the herky-jerky!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:36 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I bought all my front end parts from Rockauto and they all fit, It has never drove this good in the 19 years I;ve owned it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:57 pm 
Addicted to LUV

ok, here is a stupid question, but how do you tell if you have bad wheel bearings? from the looks of it, there is no debris in side the hub, or on the spindle. it doesnt seem bent that i can tell, and i can see no scoring on the bearing races...

this is REALLY starting to PISS me off!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Well, when you jacked it up and pulled on the wheel, that was your wheel bearing test as well as ball joint test. If you have the bearings out and they look good, then they're good. This is quite a mystery. Maybe the tires are threw a balance weight or one of them is separating and is out of round.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i did notice something else.

when i had jacked the truck, i felt a TINY bit of play in the bearing, but not enough to cause the problem im having. however, today (and after starting to hear a grinding sound, i had NO play and now it was harder to rotate the wheel by hand than it was previously. however , once disassembled, i found no reason for the wheel to rotate in and out.

i have a vid shot from the outside, but it's not very evident.

im going to go ahead and change the bearings, and im hoping this fixes it, but if it doesn't, im going to be running out of options....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:00 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

If your wheel bearings are bad you will hear them grinding when you spin the wheel with your hand or feel it grabbing when you spin it with your hand when you have it jacked up. Could be a warped rotor if it grabs with no grind. Pretty much everything else in the steering you would just have slop, except loose lug nuts or a bent rim or a out of round tire and those would more often than not be high speed evident.http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... ntent;col1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

ok, this sounds like such a stupid question to ask, but how the hell do i take the inner bearing out???

i still have yet to clean up all the grease, but i can't tell how to remove it all...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:45 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You have to get that ring and grease seal out, then the bearing will come out. You need to replace the seals with new ones when you go back together.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:52 pm 
Addicted to LUV

yeah, managed to get it out right now. looks like the seal was done for, but the bearing races both look good!

still going to change out the bearings and see what happens. hope it all comes together! :?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:19 pm 

it may be a far fetched idea. but try completely bleeding your breaks or maybe even replacing your master cylinder. my whole front end was kinda binding up like that but it wasn't sparatic it was even. replaced my master cylinder and bled everything and i haven't had the problem since.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:34 pm 
Addicted to LUV

i really don't think it's a brake issue, i have a feeling it's more a steering gearbox issue.

i do feel alot of slop in the steering and since the tie rods are in decent shape, and the truck only does the death-dance when first driven, it makes me think the gearbox is to blame. while it's nice i have an extra one, it needs to be rebuilt and i don't have time to do it, so if anyone has a spare lying around, i would gladly buy it off you! just pm me an asking price!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:03 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Since you seem to be at the end of the rope and have a parking lot. Do a circle with your steering tight in each direction and see if you feel or hear anything funny. When you get to the end of one circle turn in the other direction and do another one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:48 am 
Addicted to LUV

ok,

FINALLY finished putting in new bearings on the driver side. i noticed something... :roll:

when initially tightening the hub, (and doing it to average about 14 lbs of pull before initial rotation) i saw the inner lock hub and noticed that there was powdered metal inside. not only that, but once bolted onto the hub, it would cause the rotor to seize up alot more than it should be. once cleaned and lubed with grease, it was much better.

however, when i tried to rotate the wheel by hand, it wouldn't rotate the way it should. it would lock and cause the wheel to turn ( as though steering) in and out. it almost makes me think that the real culprit behind all this is a combination of three things. The Gearbox, The Halfshaft, and the Bearings.

it was too cold to continue working outside, ( once the ratchet stuck to my sweaty hand, it was time to call it quits) but i will take the truck to a friends house this week and hopefully find out just what the %$*%^@# is happening to this thing...

thanks for the help so far guys! i know i post alot and i can get really annoying... sorry about that!

keep the ideas coming...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:26 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I like you. maybe not as much as I like Master of Reality by Black Sabbath well ..maybe not as much as I like east bound and down by Jerry Reed or..maybe not as much as I like Convoy by C. W. MCall but I sure as Hell like you better than the movie Convoy. Smokey and the Bandit blows you away. but you are alright in my book. Kind of like the party animal or the battle beyond the stars. Excellent movies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:22 am 
Addicted to LUV

:lol: (in a little kid voice) Geeeze! Why don't you marry him then!! :lol: JK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:31 am 
Addicted to LUV

rondog wrote:
:lol: (in a little kid voice) Geeeze! Why don't you marry him then!! :lol: JK

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

uh.. im flattered, but my wife is the jealous type and doesnt like to share :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:21 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Have you discovered anything on this yet?

I can't help thinking that it might still be related to the 4wd. There's a couple of things you can check.

First off, if the transmission's in 2wd and the front hubs are unlocked, then the front axles and driveshaft should not turn. I don't recommend sticking your head under the truck while it's moving to check this, but you could do the following:

Jack the front up and spin the front wheels. The axles should not turn. If they do, then a hub is stuck locked.

Jack up 1 back wheel, put the transmission in neutral, and spin the back wheel. The rear driveshaft should turn, but the front one should not turn. If it does, then the transfer case is stuck in 4wd.

If these 2 tests pass, then It's probably not the 4wd. which, I think, means the transmission or front axles aren't the problem, as they are disconnected from the front end.

One final random thought: It's not a bent rim is it? Or a bad tire? You could try swapping the front and back wheels to see if it affects the problem. If a bad rim/tire is moved to the back, it will still vibrate the truck but won't shake the steering wheel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Im suspecting that the CV shaft is done for. i don't know if this is really the case, but from what i can see, even if the hub is locked it wouldnt cause this kind of an issue unless the cv shaft is damaged. not only that, but when it was previously working, the hub rotation would spin the shaft relatively easily, but when you try to rotate the wheel right now, it makes the wheel turn in and out. i haven't driven it yet since i've been working long hours, and by the time i get home i'm just dead beat tired. but i have a few days off later this week, so i will try to get it looked at this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If it checks out the way 1okey2go said then your CV shafts don't really have anything to do with it until it's in 4wd. If it's in 2 WD and the CV shaft doesn't spin then it shouldn't be causing any problems. Bad berings, bent spindle, bent rim, hmmm.....your tie-rod ends and ball joints would have to be severely worn to cause this much of a problem, (dangerous to drive) Maybe your steering box is wornout like has been mentioned. THere is usually an adjustment on the gear box. I haven't had to work on my LUV but I have done several others. Even when they are needing adjustment it usually just causes loose steering and the vehicle to wander over the road and not generally a jerking motion. Curious to see what this turns out to be. Good luck

2005 Silverado 3/4T Crew Cab
1981 Luv 2WD
1979 Luv 4x4 Currently going through Open Heart and Cosmetic surgery
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:10 am 

have you checked your brakes? you may have a caliper draging or hanging up causing a major pull.