LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Transfer case stuck?!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:23 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I can't get my shifter out of 4 hi. I can lock/unlock the passenger side hub, but I can't move the drivers side. Anyone have any idea where I should start to look? This is my first 4x4 that isn't push button. I really hope I don't have to pull the transfercase or buy a new one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:34 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Transfercase still stuck. Thoughts anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

raidersadie wrote:
I can't get my shifter out of 4 hi. I can lock/unlock the passenger side hub, but I can't move the drivers side. Anyone have any idea where I should start to look? This is my first 4x4 that isn't push button. I really hope I don't have to pull the transfercase or buy a new one.

As far as the hub goes, you could take it apart. You might get lucky and there might just be a some dirt in there, and it might unlock. When I had my hubs apart I put a little never cease on them. They move smooth now. I think there's also a kit to rebuild the hubs, but you'll have to serach for that on the forum.

The shifter should be able to come out with or without the hubs being locked. Maybe trying driving it a few feet, then try to shift out of 4 high. If it turns out your tranfer case is bad, I happen to have mine still (I did a 5 speed swap).

"When all else fails, follow the directions".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:34 am 
Addicted to LUV

raidersadie wrote:

I have a pdf of shop chevy mechanics shop manual of the hub section. I sent that. If anyone else needs it I can send it to you as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:22 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

T-case still stuck? Try backing up a bit, somewhat sharply with pressure on the lever, let off the accelerator and jerk the lever out of 4wd at the same time. Try something similar going forwards, if it still doesn't work repeat going backwards again- t-cases seem to unbind better going backwards since you likely bound it up going forwards. Now if none of that works get all four wheels off the ground (safely), hubs locked and blip the throttle & try to jerk it out of 4wd as you let off-try reverse, then forward, maybe several times. Still no luck repeat with the front hub(s) unlocked. If none of that works you probably need to open the t-case.
The question is why did it bind? Turning on a dry hard surface? Different size tires? Could be different gears if someone changed something. Figure out what caused it & try to avoid it or it may do it again.
The front hub is a different problem & won't cause the t-case to bind. Take it apart, it probably just needs cleaned, could have a broken spring.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:35 pm 
da LUV masta

you said it will not go in to 2HI but will it go in to 4LOW :?:

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:17 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

The transfercase is stuck. It will not move. I'm not sure what it could be or what direction to go in to fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:07 pm 
Addicted to LUV

oldestisuzuist wrote:
T-case still stuck? Try backing up a bit, somewhat sharply with pressure on the lever, let off the accelerator and jerk the lever out of 4wd at the same time. Try something similar going forwards, if it still doesn't work repeat going backwards again- t-cases seem to unbind better going backwards since you likely bound it up going forwards. Now if none of that works get all four wheels off the ground (safely), hubs locked and blip the throttle & try to jerk it out of 4wd as you let off-try reverse, then forward, maybe several times. Still no luck repeat with the front hub(s) unlocked. If none of that works you probably need to open the t-case.
The question is why did it bind? Turning on a dry hard surface? Different size tires? Could be different gears if someone changed something. Figure out what caused it & try to avoid it or it may do it again.
The front hub is a different problem & won't cause the t-case to bind. Take it apart, it probably just needs cleaned, could have a broken spring.

I like Oldestisuzuist's suggetions. Another idea would be to ask a Transmission shop. Some mechancis are nice enough to offer advice. Or maybe they'd let you bring in the transfer case and look at it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:36 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I'm assuming you mean the lever will not move and not the truck will not move?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:38 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I didn't see Oldestisuzuist's post earlier, just missed it I guess. Yes, the truck runs and drives excellent, but the lever won't move. The t-case and the hub were like this when I bought it so I'm not sure how it happened, but I will try what Oldestisuzuists said to do. I really appreciate everyones imput. You guys rock!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:31 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Apparently I'm an idiot, and so is the dude who owned my truck before me. The front hub is fixed, it wasn't put together correctly by the person who owned it before me. The transfer case is stuck in 2wd, not 4wd. Does that make a difference? I'm trying to unbind/unstick it using all the advice I've been given, but no luck yet. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to not take the case off the truck, if at all possible. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:26 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Ok, I got the case off the truck, no problem. :D HOWEVER... there was no detent spring, :esurprised and it almost seems like the detent ball is stuck, causing that arm not to move. Everything else looks brand spanking new, no wear at all, like it was never used. I'm just trying to move in the right direction so I can drive her! :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:15 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Another clue that the guy who owned the Luv before me was less compitent than me. The shifter lever was no inbetween the 2 shifter arms, so it would just wiggle a little and not move the arms. 10 minutes of fooling around with it and I got it back in, found a detent spring and I'm gonna install t/c and take her out for her maden voyage. She hasn't driven more than 50 feet since 2001!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:35 am 
Addicted to LUV

raidersadie wrote:
Another clue that the guy who owned the Luv before me was less compitent than me. The shifter lever was no inbetween the 2 shifter arms, so it would just wiggle a little and not move the arms. 10 minutes of fooling around with it and I got it back in, found a detent spring and I'm gonna install t/c and take her out for her maden voyage. She hasn't driven more than 50 feet since 2001!

That's cool. Let us know how it goes. I know the feeling of having your Luv a long time and not driving it. It's a good feeling ot getting back on the road. 8)