LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: CV AXLE
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:08 am 
Addicted to LUV

rondog wrote:
My local shop told me he can get mine rebuilt for about $55. each.

Mine seem fine, but the boots are torn and it's been through mud and dirt with the torn boots. I'm going to be redoing the whole front end here soon and was wondering if I can clean, re-grease, and install new boots on my cv's. How complex are cv joints? Can I get in there with brake cleaner or solvent well enough to get them clean?

CV joints aren't really that complex. Kind of like roller bering universal joints on splines. I've replaced a few entire assemblies but I cleaned mine on an 87 TOYOTANOVA almost the same way you mentioned except I used Gas in an oil squirt can. There is a specific grease for CV joints and I did use it over plain axle bering grease. Let me look for the boots I put back on and see if I can find them. I might still have the box in the shop. They were bolted back together with little screws and held up until the engine blew.

2005 Silverado 3/4T Crew Cab
1981 Luv 2WD
1979 Luv 4x4 Currently going through Open Heart and Cosmetic surgery
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:06 am 
Addicted to LUV

Good to know cleaning them worked for you. Thanks. I saw boots on Partstrain I think it was. I'm going to put in new ball joints and bushings, tie rods and what not, so now was the time to deal with the cv's also. They aren't clicking or anything, they work fine. Just had torn boots for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:30 pm 
da LUV masta

They're pretty much big bearings. You're gonna havta pull them out of the truck to put new boots on though, so it shouldn't be too bad. Carb/brake cleaner and re-pack em with grease... should be fine from there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:15 am 
da LUV masta

So, just finished putting the new CV's in my truck. I didn't replace the inner cups, so the axle stayed in the truck (thanks OZ). The biggest snag that I ran into was the ball joints. Being that I don't have a ball joint separator, I took two big hammers to it (just like everything else I don't have the right tool for) and smacked each side. They came loose, but, I had repeatedly smacked them, and had missed once or twice. That definitely boogered up the threads. And I didn't have a die to straighten them up.

Without the whole ball joint fiasco, it likely took 4 hours to replace the CV's, grease the whole front end, and replace the front diff. oil.

No more crunching!!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:06 am 
Addicted to LUV

did you happen to take any pictures? ill be having to do the same thing when i bring my 4by up from cali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:05 am 
da LUV masta

Okay, so I didn't take pictures. Reason being, I hadn't a clue what I was doing. The first moment that I realized I hadn't a clue was when I ran into the round nut with two holes in it. It holds the hub on. lol, after a few phone calls trying to find a 40mm axle nut wrench, I tried with my fingers. Whaddya know, it was finger tight.

I left both inner cups intact and the job became 10X easier.

So, this is what I did:

1. Remove wheel. (6 nuts)
2. Remove Brake Caliper (2 Bolts)
3. Remove Hub selector cover thingy (6 Bolts)
4. Remove Snap ring and spacers from end of axle (PITA)
5. Remove axle nut locking ring (3 tiny phillips bolts)
6. Remove axle nut (mine was finger tight, but good luck finding a wrench if it isn't)
7. Remove hub. (Just slides off at this point.)
8. Brake disc can stay attached to the hub, but removal for cleaning the grease outta the bearings is a good idea (6 bolts)
9. Remove steering ring and brake disc cover from pinion (4 Bolts)
10. Separate ball joints. (I used two big hammers and hit it repeatedly. Just remember that the ball joints are a M14 1.50, and to have a die handy. You will mess up the threads if you do it this way.)
11. Swing the steering ring out of the way (it's attached by the tie-rod)
12. Undo inner CV boot and remove shaft from socket.
13. Clean the old grease out of everything and replace. (Do NOT use white grease. Use high temp disc brake wheel bearing grease on everything. New CV shaft should come with its own grease if you order the one without the inner cup. Use CV joint grease for CV joints.)

Do the reverse. If this is your first time, plan for 2 days.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:12 am 
da LUV masta

Oh, clean everything religiously. You never know when the next time it'll be apart is, and if you do it right, you won't have to do it again. (lol, there was 30 years worth of dirt and old grease coating everything on the front of my truck)

Fig, have you even looked at the 4X4 you're getting? Unless it crunches with the 4X engaged and the wheel turned as tight as possible, replacing the CV joints is a huge waste of time. Re packing the front end with grease is always a good idea though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:43 am 
Addicted to LUV

I ordered front end parts on Autozone.com. It all came yesterday. The pick is for one side. I have 2 of everything. I think for the sway bar I will just find unused shock bushings. This is just for starters I'm sure. I may need more new parts once I get it apart.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

well, like you said,

anything worth doing, is worth doing right. and doing it right the first time.
i already know i will have about a week of downtime when the truck comes up here. i figure it would be the best time to take several things apart and rebuild or replace. much of my interior is going to be installed into the new truck, and since the engine is out of the 4by, i thought it would be the perfect chance to service the diff and the CV joints. if not replace them, to at least repack them with grease and inspect them.

Trust me, i'm not going to needlessly throw money at this, but i do want to make sure i do this right y'know?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:56 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I know this is an old thread but some of you guys may want to follow along, I'll be performing this task this week, you can follow my thread with pics here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25648