LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: rear lifting blocks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:47 am 

ok... I have a 3in body lift on my luv... I just adjusted the torsion bars so the front is higher... now what about the back... can a use lifting blocks... and if so, where do they go?

Post subject: Re: rear lifting blocks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:14 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The LUV axle sits on top of the springs stock so adding blocks lower the truck instead of lifting it. Here is your options:

Extended shackles - for every inch longer than stock you get a half inch of lift

Add a leaf to or change the spring pack - depends on the spring you add how much lift you get, 1-2 inches isn't hard to get without making the ride stiff as a rock. If you mix and match spring leaves you can get a pretty good lift without giving up ride and flex. This is probably your best option combined with extended shackles. You can get 2-3 inches of lift and still have a truck that rides nice and flexes good off road.

Convert to spring over axle - puts the springs on top of the axle instead of under, gains about 5 inches which is more than you can match in the front with the torsion bars. You could take a leaf out of the spring pack to match it up a little better to what you can get out of the front though. Takes some welding, and more skill/tools than other options. It sounds easy but you have to factor in pinion angle when rewelding the spring mounts on the axle, the length of the brake line and other details. Basically what I'm saying is if you have to ask, this is probably more complicated than you want to tackle.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol: