LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Fab new bumper
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:11 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Thanks to all for the compliments, if nobody paid attention to our LUV's it would certainly take some of the fun out.
luvproject, I like the rear bumper, good design, functional and solid.

btw, the tubing you used is part of what I do. If anyone needs some let me know. Depending on how much anyone needs I can probably get it for free (small quantities like for bumper or roll bar). The shipping might still cost more than what you can get local but it may be worth a try.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:03 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

8) I have a 4x4 luv that would "luv" to have a bumper just like it bolted to the front end. How much? I"m so jealous! Great job! Looks fantastic!
Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:02 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

1badluv wrote:
8) I have a 4x4 luv that would "luv" to have a bumper just like it bolted to the front end. How much? I"m so jealous! Great job! Looks fantastic!
Mike.

Thanks for the compliment. I have enough material to make at least one more of these except for the lights. The cost to build mine boilded down to about $90-$100 in materials including lights, steel, paint and welding & grinding/sanding supplies. I spent a lot of hours in the shop, but about half were spent thinking, planning, making templates (things that won't neccessarily need to be repeated). Also, since I'm not extremely talented in this field, a project like this stretched my crafting abilities to my limit. Bottom line is I'm not sure it would be economical for me to build them. However, if someone seriously thinks they may want one like this shoot me a PM and we'll talk.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:13 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

i would love to have somehting like that! it is sweet. and im thinking i miight try that when i get my 4x4

76' stepside mikado w/sunroof

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:29 pm 

Looks Sweet!! Nice job!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:01 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

hey tuffLUV, are those interco super swampers? if so, how do they work off road? i was considering purchasing them, and i saw what looked like them, so i thought id ask someone who tried them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:19 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

off road LUVer wrote:
hey tuffLUV, are those interco super swampers? if so, how do they work off road?

They are swampers, I got them from a 4 wheel parts store for a around $110 ea and had them mounted by a local tire shop because 4 wheel parts was a little too proud of there mount and balance. Total cost was a little over $500. They do OK. They are 14's. I haven't put them to any kind of test since mine is only a huntin truck. Back when I had my pizza ply tires on I got stuck a few times mostly in creeks but I haven't gotten stuck with these tho. I've also climbed a couple of pretty steep hills but still nothing I would call extreme. I'm not sure how they handle on the pavement because what little I drive on hard road is contaminated by the fact that my steering is still loose. But that is another front end story.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:00 am 

how long did it take on just fab not with thinking. im thinking about builting a new buber on my. any help will be aprciated

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:53 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

black chevy wrote:
how long did it take on just fab not with thinking.

Its hard to say because I also did some work on my headlight buckets, grill and that little strip of sheet metal just under the grill and behind the bumper (?name). Maybe 20 - 30 hours over 2 weekends and a few nights in between strictly working on the bumper. The hardest part for me was the plates on the bottom to get the correct compound angles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:36 pm 

ok thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:26 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Nice bumper!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:56 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:37 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Nice user name :cry:
I'm going to try to get that on my plates...
i hope..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:31 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

did you ever get your turn signals working ? i had the same trouble when i swicthed to an after market light. I had two problems. At first I thought i had a bad ground but I knew that couldn't be possible. So i asked my local Napa dealer and was told that my Lights had the wrong bulbs in them. i needed dual Filiment bulbs. And then presto! Lights. Nice Bumping action man!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:37 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Yeah, my problem was that the LED lights, I'm guessing, took just a little more power than the stock lights because after fighting with it for a day I went to start the LUV and the bat was dead. When I charged it everything started to work. What threw me off was when I wired the old ones back on they would work. And thanks on the bumper.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:36 am 
Addicted to LUV

LED lights use less power to run them which is way lower then what it takes to run the standard flashers but you can get flashers that are made to run LEDs or there are adapters that you can put in line for when you due the LED/standard light setups. Go to a heavy truck parts store for your lighting needs as they have all the lights and supplies to build anything you can think of.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:46 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

My flashers seam to be weak and slow. Is this because of the standard flasher?? I understood that LED's take less power but I also couldn't understand why they wouldn't work and when I put my old ones back on (to check to see if I had damaged the flasher, fuse or whatever) they would work just fine. All of this was really messing with me that day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:36 am 
da LUV masta

My regular blinkers are weak and slow with the stock bulbs. :lol: I have considered going to LEDs as well. LEDs should use less power than regular bulbs, but of you have a lot of them in 1 light, then it's not quite as low power as you might think. Also, I would bet there are some resistors in there which load the flasher as well--LEDs themselves only need 1.7 V to light up each one and when you truck runs on 12V...well you get the picture there's some electronic trickery going on. The other thing is that for flasher units to run correctly they have to have the proper load on them. Not enough load can make them misbehave just as much as too much load might.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:52 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Looks good. You've got better fabing skills than you think. If you could make patterns for each piece and have them laser cut you might save some cost and a lot of time. Do like 5. Then with a jig you could weld them together quickly. Alas grinding is just time, no short cuts there. Maybe get the price to about 300.00 apiece.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:35 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Old Rob wrote:
Looks good. You've got better fabing skills than you think. If you could make patterns for each piece and have them laser cut you might save some cost and a lot of time. Do like 5. Then with a jig you could weld them together quickly. Alas grinding is just time, no short cuts there. Maybe get the price to about 300.00 apiece.

Thanks, I think all in all there wouldn't be enough interest. Everyone has been very complimentary about my having made this bumper especially since very few have done anything like it. But when it comes to someone putting one on their truck it's little different and not enough would want one to go to the trouble.