LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Engine swap
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:46 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

i see what you mean about the engines though, i know that they made that odd ball one, i kinda forgot though, it makes more sence now that you reminded me, but i do know about 4ZC1...

And the 4.3 granted is a good engine, but as taz man said thats finding a t-case and spending some $$$ on getting motor/tranny mounts, then drive lines, wiring it up, and hoping that the stock 4x4 parts are gonne be tough enough for the 4.3 especially if you do anything to give it more balls...

Trust me if you wanna cheap way to give your 4x4 some more power its all about the 2.6 8)

-Dustin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:09 am 
da LUV masta

Would a 1.9 Fuel injection bolt up to the 1.8 ?

79 4x4 1.8 liter
75 K 10 Lifted with 383 stroker
69 Jeepster comando v6

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:21 am 
Addicted to LUV

On page one Taz has allready answered that question Chavy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:12 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Hey, guys, for the learning impaired here: what particular year/model of Isuzu would have this 2.6 engine?

I just got a '79 LUV with a hole under the hood so maybe this would be a good solution if they're not a bazillion bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:55 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I tried to use the Search engine again and got zilch. It can't understand what: 2.6 engine, '2.6 engine' or "2.6 engine" means.

Went through some posts in Drivetrain Upgrades section and found links to several threads about 2.6 swaps, giving year/models and lost of info, thanks to Taz, Dustinicus, Rodeo Bob & others:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17304

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15987

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15872

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15674

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:49 am 

wow. it's been a while since i've had internet, thanks for all the advice guys, i think i'm gonna go with the bigger izuzu engine, i think i've found one.. i'm proly gonna post some pics of my beast soon, i got a good shot of it at the lake( a big mud pit where we wheel, last year a monster truck got stuck in it, i was the second one to wheel it this year).. once again thatnks fo the advice. one more question, what year trooper transmission would bolt up to my stock engine??( i fucked up my tranny when i was at the lake>>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:43 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Quote:
Yeah...it can be a bit confusing.

The early Pups had only one engine that some manuals say is a 2.0 - and it is a 1.9 G200...and they put two engines in the early Impulses that some manuals say are both a 2.0 - but one is a 2.0 (turbo) and the other is a 1.9 (carb). The 1.9 is a G series engine and the 2.0 isn't. The 2.0 is in the same basic engine family as the 2.3 and the 2.6.

Nothing from the 2.0 will work for the G180 or the G200. I think it's kind of an oddball engine, because they only put them in the early turbo'ed Impulses for a few years. They easiest way to tell is the G200 has "G200' cast right on the front of the head and the driver's side (unless you are in aussieland - then it's the passenger side) of the block.

The 1.8, 1.9, 2.3, and 2.6 will all bolt up to a stock Luv 4x4 tranny/transfer case - but the 2.6 with the 2.3's carb intake and electronic distributor would be the best replacement engine if you are looking for a not-too-expensive power upgrade and clearly would be the cheapest/best bang for your buck. You would be easily doubling your hp/torque - possibly even more if you built it right.

So a 2.0 Liter from an impluse won't bolt to the Stock tranny or a Trooper tranny?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:34 am 
da LUV masta

Zane wrote:
Quote:
Yeah...it can be a bit confusing.

The early Pups had only one engine that some manuals say is a 2.0 - and it is a 1.9 G200...and they put two engines in the early Impulses that some manuals say are both a 2.0 - but one is a 2.0 (turbo) and the other is a 1.9 (carb). The 1.9 is a G series engine and the 2.0 isn't. The 2.0 is in the same basic engine family as the 2.3 and the 2.6.

Nothing from the 2.0 will work for the G180 or the G200. I think it's kind of an oddball engine, because they only put them in the early turbo'ed Impulses for a few years. They easiest way to tell is the G200 has "G200' cast right on the front of the head and the driver's side (unless you are in aussieland - then it's the passenger side) of the block.

The 1.8, 1.9, 2.3, and 2.6 will all bolt up to a stock Luv 4x4 tranny/transfer case - but the 2.6 with the 2.3's carb intake and electronic distributor would be the best replacement engine if you are looking for a not-too-expensive power upgrade and clearly would be the cheapest/best bang for your buck. You would be easily doubling your hp/torque - possibly even more if you built it right.

So a 2.0 Liter from an impluse won't bolt to the Stock tranny or a Trooper tranny?

Uh, that's what the man said... Probably an adaptor plate available though...
-ret

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:22 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

the 2.0l (4zc1) will bolt to the trooper tranny or luv or pu'p as long as it is in fact the 4ZC1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:32 pm 
post resurrector

A 364ci cadi motor works great even with 40s.

BOOMER SOONER!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:56 pm 
da LUV masta

Mob'n 4X4 wrote:
i need sumthin cheaper guys

I know this thread is a bit old, but why not go find a newer vehicle that's been totaled out?
Junkyards are full of good engines that were tossed because some body work was worth more than the vehicle.
Best part is, they're pretty darn cheap... and very abundant. Welcome to the age of the disposable car!
-ret

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:20 am 

:twisted: cool, so I have been following these posts because my 79 4x4 is about to die......... what year 2.6? does it matter and with fuel inject what electronics do I need? the whole "brain?" Thank you......

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:42 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

for a 2.6 there are a couple options, if you want efi you will need all engine sensors with it the complete engien all the way to the air box, any engien bay sensors there may be, the complete harness (all the way under the dash most likely) and the ecm, not to mention the distributor ect... or get a 2.3l carb intake and distributor, swap them onto the 2.6 drop a weber(38/38) on it or even the stock 2.3 carb if a weber isnt available and thats it, you will need a better coil if your luv still has the stock points ignition...

-Dustin

p.s. you may need to do a little adjusting to the motor mounts, and possibly need the smaller(at least i think its smaller) 2.3 oil pan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:02 pm 

Very friggin cool..... 8) and thank you. some one told me just using a pump should work, :egeek I started to think about that and was thinking the brain was probably needed. for fuel inject, witch is the way I want to go..... I was looking at a 88 trooper and it has a 5 speed 4x4????? If I get it I should just save the other "drive train" parts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:17 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

If it's a 4x4 then transmission and motor can be swapped straight acrossed, and if the complete running gear is all in tact, make sure you get the front and rear wheel axles. People have swapped over the Trooper axles, most likely if you are handy and mechanicly inclines you will end up having to swap the Trooper's axle internals into the LUV's axles, this should help strengthen the running gear, If you keep the stock axles, then you will need to have the drive lines from the Trooper and LUV refabbed so the axle side of the drive lines from the LUV are mounted on the Trooper drive lines.

-Dustin

P.S. For EFI you will need the entire fuel system from the Trooper, since fuel injected vehicles run substantially higher than carberated ones.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:52 pm 

Will a 2.6 from a 1994 Isuzu Rodeo work? There is one on craigslist for $750 with 146,562 miles on it. Is this a decent price for that engine? The same person is also selling a 2.3 from a 1990 Isuzu pickup with 165,897 miles on it for $700. These prices seem a little bit high to me, considering I can get a 350 or 4.3 for about half that, but I wanted to see what you all thought.

Cam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:09 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

for the miles they have i wouldnt, and as for the 2.6 i think something changed in them in the later years

-Dustin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:54 am 

sounds like i am in the right place. want to replace my 1.8 litre with a little more umphf. what motor will bolt right up to my 80 4x4 gotta watch the cost though. not workin. thanx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:16 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

ahhh... post 13 and 14 first page, plase by all means dont be affraid to use the search button... IT DOES WORK i know ive used it before... dont be scared, you will learn its saves alot of time on people like me talking to you...

also you should go introduce yourself in the place you do that at...

AND

Welcome to LUVTruck.com

-Dustin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:45 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

The 2.3-2.6 swap is a good upgrade on power, I've got a 2.3 38-38 weber in a 80 Luv 4x4 and it runs very strong in the mudd but had to really modify the firewall on the passenger side for the dist to clear. Got a 2.6 in a wrecked 91 pup with a 4 speed auto and would luv to put it in a 2-wheel luv( 78-80). The firewall is the problem for me with the dist if you want to be able to remove it after the engine's installed and while your at it grab the power steering off a trooper and put it on the Luv it's great and not much trouble to install.