phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 1979 LUV Help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:19 am 
LSX LUV Owner

Posting this for a friend..

Quote:
Anyway, I just bought a NICE 1979 LUV truck w/ 4x4. It is only a 4 speed, and the little 4 banger winds out at 55 MPH, so I need another gear..

I found out that the 4x4's got a 5th gear somewhere along the line. However, I was reading that the transfer case and tranny are ONE unit in these trucks, so that makes it sort of weird.

My question is, can I swap out the tranny/transfer case combo for a 5 speed, or did they reinvent the chassis for the 5 speed? I don't care either way (Anyone have the 5 speed tranny and transfer case for sale?? Let me know! Perhaps a model number for the unit or a part number?) as I need that extra gear!

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 1979 LUV Help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:13 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

you need the trans and case out of a trooper but you will have to change the driveshaft length on both ends (front and rear).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:15 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

OK, so I need the xfer case and transmission out of an Isuzu Trooper. Does it matter what year the Trooper is? Obviously, it has to be a 1.8L engine. I am getting somewhere, now!! Thank you guys so much! Another quick question... Does anyone have the specs of the driveshafts? I need to know lengths to have a shop lengthen/shorten them..

Otherwise I have to wait to find a transmission/transfer case, and even then-I haven't done anything like this before, and I'd imagine there isn't a lot of room for error. I would love to document my steps during my improvement of the truck, so that other people can do it, too. I absolutely LOVE the styling of the first gen truck, even though I am 6'1" and am sort of cramped, the truck just grows on you!

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:22 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

first i to am 6 ft so it really has to have something special to make you keep it. and the troopers don't have 1.8's but they have a v-6 that should bolt up. just do a search or poke around in the drivetrain up grade section. sorry i can't help more but i have read many people asking the same questions youy r so just search and your answers shall be reveled. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:09 pm 
Australian LUV Guru

Another option if your not planning to use the 4x4 is to change out the rear diff center and fit larger diameter wheels to the rear. Remember that this will put your speedo out , also remove the front driveshaft to prevent damage to your gearbox if 4wd is selected.

LUVTRKR wrote:
It does have a license plate so technically it is a street truck, that sets off car alarms and makes kids cry. lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:26 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I found out I have to have the rear driveshaft shortened by 1.5 inches and the front lenghthened by 2 inches. So.. if I wanted to do this swap quick-could I also take the driveshafts from the Trooper and have them adjusted while I drive the LUV truck? What I mean is, will they fit the LUV truck (Yokes and splines, etc) or do I need to use the LUV axles and drive another truck?

I read that the tranny and xfer case in the 79 is one unit (And looks like it) so if I were to purchase a 5 speed for a 2wd, I couldn't mate a xfer case to it later-could I? Or is the Trooper fitted with a transmission and transfer case in one unit, too?

Thank you guys.. Also, the 4wd is why I bought it, I travel long distances, and need the 4x4 for snow, dirt etc. Also, I am going to post soon about getting more legroom out of the LUV.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:29 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

the yokes r diff but use the same u joints. You need to consider
the yoke length but you could use the trooper shafts. Not
sure on the trooper trans/case separation but I tried