LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: longer travel shocks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:21 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

does anyone know which shocks that will fit on my stock shock munts (front and rear) that have the longest travel? im no longer running bumpstops or swaybar on the front and am looking for suggestions to get it flexing more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:27 pm 

You may be able to get some that have slightly more travel, but to get some that will allow it to drop more, they will be physically longer and you'll have to move your mounting points (fab something up) so the shocks won't bottom out on compression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:40 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

longer isn't always better...

i'll explain, you need to find out whether or not the shocks you're running now are limiting your flex, ie. bottoming out or stretching out. That beig said, my method of figuring out shock length is prety basic, cycle the suspension and find it's "fully stuffed" measurement and it's "fully drooped" measurement, front and rear

a good way to test your current shocks is to unhook the bottom (or top, whichever is easier) and jack up the front end so the suspension can drop down as far as it can go, if your shocks can't reach into the mount, then you need longer shocks, but you'll need to measure and i would add at least 1" for extreme suspension cycling (ie, hitting a bump fast)

another thing to watch for is the body length of the shock itself, with a longer shock comes larger bodies, so you have to watch that as you dont want to bottom them out.

measure your current shocks eyelet to eyelet, compress and extended, mainly for comparison.

If you haven't lifted the suspension, i'm doubting you're going to be really needing too much longer shocks if at all, have you been having problems with them maxing out? if not, i wouldn't change them, cus longer will give you more problems if you go too long, there won't be any up travel, and you'll be bottoming out the shocks and ruin them.

getting longer shocks doesn't make the suspension flex more, it only ALLOWS for more untapped travel in the suspension IF it was being limited by the shocks in the first place... You could put the largest shocks you want on there and it won't make it flex more...

Ok, so hopefully i repeated myself enough to annoy you, lol :lol: but get out there and measure your setup and get back to us on your findings :wink: 8) then we can assist more. but i would say maybe 2-3" longer shocks will be the max...

(woo hoo for post #300 :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:40 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

thats funny, cuz i already ruined the stock shocks, so it wont be hard to measure cuz i removed the stockers, and the bumps, so i have a LOT of flex. now i just gotta get back to you with the measurements, remember, i want to use my sock mounts, so i need shock eyelets to fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:25 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

off road LUVer wrote:
thats funny, cuz i already ruined the stock shocks, so it wont be hard to measure cuz i removed the stockers, and the bumps, so i have a LOT of flex. now i just gotta get back to you with the measurements, remember, i want to use my sock mounts, so i need shock eyelets to fit.

how did you ruin the stock shocks? was it from bottoming them out, or stretching them out? That is key is figuring out which direction you need to go, and I have some suggestions as to which shocks to get...if you want. :wink: So i can't remember but stock mounts on a LUV are as follows:

Front: Stud on top / Eyelet on bottom

Rear: Eyelet on top AND bottom

Correct?

Also, measure the stock ride height length of the shock for me. It's a LOT easier if you (me) have the stuff in front of you to measure and decide what'll fit and what won't. I can do some research and math tomorrow maybe and maybe get a little write-up w/ pics going on it. might be kinda cool to do. :D

EDIT: Take some pics if you can of the setup please?