LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: truck wont start
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:16 pm 

i bought a old luv that was not running. it truns over just fine and has spark and is getting fuel. it also has compsion. but it wont start. can anybody help me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:41 pm 
Step-side Guru

take the valve cover off and try turning by had it the cam sprocket turns and the cam doesn't there is your problem... if you have spark and fuel it should run unless you have a big vacuum leak or the cam gear keeper broke, at least thats what happened to my son's... hope this helps a little

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:33 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Another member just went through a no start problem and it turned out to be a simple switch. So try here...

http://forums.luvtruck.com/viewtopic.ph ... ight=start

Good luck, let us know if you find the problem...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:36 pm 

well the cam well not turn by hand and i also found out that my number 1 cylinder olny has 15 pounds of pressure. but i might think it has a blown head gasket. is there any way you can tell if it does?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:13 pm 
Step-side Guru

the only way i know is to pull the head. but maybe some one here knows a little trick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:16 am 
PITA Old Fart

Welcome to "testing and starting old engines that have been sitting a long time 101"...lol

First you must have a manual for your truck to do this. You can get a decent Haynes, Chilton, or a factory manual at your local parts store or on ebay for under $20.

If you don't have one - borrow on from someone or somewhere and read the section on tune-ups, engine compression testing, and trouble shooting an engine that won't start. Write down the compression specs for your particular engine and keep it handy for a reference. Then get your hands on a decent compression tester.

Once you have done all of that:

Pull the plugs, pull the coil wire off, rig the throttle wide open, screw in the compression tester (carefully now - you really don't want to screw up the threads in your plug holes), crank it over a few times, and then read the guage.

Watch the guage carefully for a slow leak that causes a drop in pressure right after you finish cranking it over. If there is a slow leak or no pressure in one or more of your cylinders...more than likely your head gasket is leaking between cylinders.

If there is no leakage, and the pressure looks too low, unscrew the compression tester, pour about a teaspoon of clean/fresh motor oil in the spark plug hole, screw the gauge back in, and test the cylinder just like before. If the pressure went up from last time, then your rings are worn/leaking. If not - it's more than likely a problem with your valves.

(BTW...make sure you release the pressure out of the guage on the tester between tests or your readings will all be wrong.)

IMPORTANT: If the truck has been sitting for a long time - NEVER use that old gas to start it up. You need to drain/siphon the gas out of the tank, blow out the fuel lines, and use fresh gas - or you will really screw up your carb.

Be carefull - even old crappy gas is highly flamable!

Draining the old oil and coolant and replacing them both with new/fresh oil/antifreeze is a darn good idea too.

I personally would also recommend that you squirt a little WD40 into the plug holes, and turn the engine over by hand first, just to make sure the piston rings aren't stuck to the cylinder walls and to help re-seat the rings before trying to start it too.

And remember to check and verify all of the basics - your engine has to have spark, compression, fuel, and properly timed ignition firing to run.

Always start you problem-solving search there first.

Good Luck!

Hope this all helps ya!

Post subject: headgasket
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:30 pm 

I'f you have a blown headgasket you will have one of three things. Water getting into your oil, exaust in your water (looking in radiator you will see constant bubbles poping up on a cold start of the engine),or water getting into your exaust (you should be able to smell antifreeze in your exaust) . Your engine should crank even if it has a blown headgasket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:32 pm 
Step-side Guru

nice info taz... i can use that myself, mine is alittle off and now i know how to check for both the right way :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:03 am 
Addicted to LUV

I made the mistake of not getting rid of the old gas when I first got my truck. It back-fired so bad it sounded like a shotgun blast. :lol:
Yes it did mess up my carb too! Hard lesson to learn. Though its not to expensev to pull your tank and have it boiled out and sealed. =)

"When all else fails, follow the directions".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:59 am 

well it truned out to be a burned value and a head gasket. is there a cheap place to buy parts for a chevy luv?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:49 pm 

Well, the right question might be: Is there ANY place to buy parts for a LUv?