LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My introduction
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:30 am 

I bought my 1979 Chevy Luv 4X4 so I could go to the river without doing too much damage to my daily driver (2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport). I purhased this truck for $500 and I figured the 33 inch tires and winch alone was worth at least that. Right now the alternator is not wired up right, there is no air filter (but it does have a brand new carburator), it burns oil horribly and I blew a valve cover gasket bringing it home. Other than that it runs okay. Body is a bit rough.

Tomorrow I'm thinking about at least replacing the valve cover gasket (or at least put some silicone on it) and cleaning it up a bit. I would like to put a solid axle up front and maybe put a larger engine in it but that will be months away.

Here's my link to my Chevy LUV page along with the pictures. The top two pictures were sent to me by the seller, and obviously the front bumper has been replaced before I bought it.

1979 Chevy Luv 4X4

Last edited by WilsonZone on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:11 am 
this space for rent

huh your body looks about as good as mine! :lol:

Welcome aboard! but i think we have to talk about that Jeep... :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:27 am 

MEPR wrote:
huh your body looks about as good as mine! :lol:

Welcome aboard! but i think we have to talk about that Jeep... :P :lol:

Umm, what about my Jeep?

I have pictures of that too.

2000 Jeep Wrangler
4-Wheeling at Disney, Oklahoma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:10 pm 
Banishment Pending

Welcome

And as for the J**P, around here thats a four letter word that is not to be used, hmm seems we have another one that needs to see the "light" of Isuzu :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome to the site. Your LUV looks a little rough, but I've seen sicker dogs get well. :wink: Enjoy. You'll find a lot of info on this site. Just search around. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:09 pm 

rezkid wrote:
Welcome

And as for the J**P, around here thats a four letter word that is not to be used, hmm seems we have another one that needs to see the "light" of Isuzu :twisted:

In the words of Scooby, "Rut Row!"

Sorry, my Jeep is my first love, where else can you get a 4x4 and convertible all in one, and it's already retro! :wink:

But seriously, I know how this sort of thing is. I'm a member of Trailchasers, which is a 4x4 group here in Oklahoma City. In the group it's always Toyota vs. Jeep. I found that out my first meeting when a Toyota guy was showing me the ropes and asked me what I drove.

If it makes y'all feel better, I'm definately NOT a Dodge fan. I think AMC selling out to Dodge was a big mistake. My favorite Jeep is a CJ7, but I "settled" for what I am currently driving. Growing up I've owned a couple Dodge vehicles and I have not been impressed.

I owned a 1996 Honda Passport which was really an Isuzu if I remember right. Maybe this one was a lemon, because the damn thing was extremely gutless and I had so many problems with it. I think the previous owner just didn't take very good care of it.

Umm, does that mean I need to change my Avatar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:57 am 
Addicted to LUV

Nah its alright. Maybe just wash though. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

" it burns oil horribly and I blew a valve cover gasket bringing it home. Other than that it runs okay."
HAHA, you should have that as your signature on your posts! :D

I like the front bumper, it reminds me of the bumper that came with my luv, where they welded a push bar to the chrome one.

"When all else fails, follow the directions".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:57 pm 

Zane wrote:
" it burns oil horribly and I blew a valve cover gasket bringing it home. Other than that it runs okay."
HAHA, you should have that as your signature on your posts! :D

I like the front bumper, it reminds me of the bumper that came with my luv, where they welded a push bar to the chrome one.

The bumper had been replaced before I even bought it (fortunately).

I traded some stuff for a rollbar that came out of a Toyota. I placed it in the bed of the truck and it looks a lot better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:42 pm 
this space for rent

i dont have anything personal against jeeps, i just thought i would throw ya some crap :lol:
I just dont like jeeps becouse its had to put an engine in the back, i kinda need a pickup bed :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:05 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

33's on your Luv, thats just sick! I too am a member of the Luv truck and Wrangler club. My 04 Sport has a 3.5RE lift with 33's. Are you a member of http://www.jeepforum.com also? I cant image how slow you Luv must be with those tires and the stock motor. It definitally would rock with a bigger engine in it though. Good luck with your truck, welcome aboard, and nice Jeep by the way. RF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:22 pm 
Banishment Pending

Naw like Mepr said, jeeps are aight, but I'm more of a fan of the full size ones, and also the CJ-8, something about long wheel bases i guess :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:12 pm 

MEPR,
If I removed the rear seat, I bet I could fit an engine in the back. Maybe not a V8, but definately a small engine. It's almost like a 3 foot bed back there. LOL! I have removed the seat to place a 26 gallon air compressor so I could strip an old abandoned Jeep Wagoneer of it's Dana 44 front axle. Too bad the axle won't work on my LUV, the drive shaft is on the wrong side.
But, I do agree. Having a truck is a lot better. I just figured out why my tailgate doesn't come down though. The previous owner WELDED it shut. Honestly, I need a new bed. I just don't know where I can afford one. I'd like to make a flatbed out of it.

Randall Flagg,
Now that nickname sounds familliar. Let me guess.... Steven King's The Stand?? I love that movie! I had to go out and buy it, but watching it all at once can take a while (it's 8 hours long).
Yes, having those 33 inch tires with the stock motor really suck. I'm planning on removing those tires and putting them on my Jeep. Then I'll put some 31 inch tires on the LUV. I'm also going to weld the axle or axles and drive them on the river until they finally wear out before replacing them with stronger straight axles. As far as the engine, it will get me by until I can afford something with 8 pistons.
I'm not a member of http://www.jeepforum.com, maybe I should be. I usually post in http://www.bigredheep.com and I post under the same nickname I do here. I might have to give jeepforum.com a try, but then again I joined so many forums I can't keep track of them anymore.

rezkid,
I would love to find a Scrambler. I'd give my left nut for one! Oh, wait. Are there kids here? I should say my uhh... left toe. Yeah, that's it. Seriously, I had considered getting me a Wrangler Unlimited but I still feel that Dodge sucks and I'd rather have an AMC. Even the old YJs are American Motors since AMC put out the YJs before selling to Dodge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:26 am 
Addicted to LUV

WilsonZone wrote:
...so I could strip an old abandoned Jeep Wagoneer of it's Dana 44 front axle. Too bad the axle won't work on my LUV, the drive shaft is on the wrong side.

I thought waggy D44s had a passenger side front diff, fairly compatible with the LUV which is also offset toward the same side. I know a lot of the Isuzu Trooper/etc guys use waggy axles for SAS for that reason.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:15 am 
this space for rent

depends upon the year. Some came with passenger side drop others came with driver side drop. I think some of em also came in 5lug as opposed to 6lug like others...