LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: hey thanks, great forum
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:56 pm 

hey guys, hopefully going to pick up my luv on friday...deposit paid and photos look good, just got to get under her and make sure there is nothing too sinister. This site has been a great help already, thanks to the vin posts i worked out that she is a '73 model. will let you know how i get on and will upload some pics once i get her home. she's running a 1974 2.0l ford pinto engine (90ish bhp a long time ago)...happy about the engine, lots of bolt on parts to give her some legs.
anyway, thanks again hopefully speak soon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:05 am 

Welcome to the group! As you already found there is a lot of info within this group and past posts! Looking forward to future pictures of your new ride...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:11 am 
Addicted to LUV

My '71 Mercury Capri had that same 2.0L engine, but it was rated at 100 hp. Did yours come with a factory Weber carb? Oh, it may have dropped 10 hp due to 1974 emissions control equipment. 1874 was a bad year for engine performance.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:04 am 
Addicted to LUV

JoeIsuzu wrote:
My '71 Mercury Capri had that same 2.0L engine, but it was rated at 100 hp. Did yours come with a factory Weber carb? Oh, it may have dropped 10 hp due to 1974 emissions control equipment. 1874 was a bad year for engine performance.

Jack

In 1874 the only way you could increase horsepower was by adding actual horses.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:11 am 
Addicted to LUV

drummerforhire wrote:
JoeIsuzu wrote:

Jack

:oops:
I hate using a phone for web browsing.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:58 am 

Aged Luv wrote:
Welcome to the group! As you already found there is a lot of info within this group and past posts! Looking forward to future pictures of your new ride...

yeah, these types of forums are what makes the internet...i'll post some pics in the next post.
JoeIsuzu wrote:

Jack

think mine is from a mid range sedan called a taunus over here in europe so it probably has a standard carb...the weber 32/36 is a good way to get some more horses though, in combination with a fr32 cam you can get some good results.

drummerforhire wrote:

:D :lol:
so after a 12 hour bus journey she would have had to have been pretty rotten for me not to get her so i am the proud new owner of a little 1973 luv. Man is she gorgeous. There is a list as long as my arm for the things to do, mainly to sort out the bodge job engine compartment...it's a real mess in there. Overall she's pretty solid, some surface rust and one or two places need a little weld but that'll get done in time.
main issues
1) i need to sort the engine (complete bodge job: either new bell housing or a proper adapter plate). good news is there is no smoke from the engine and it pulls well so it's a good base to work from. plus most (older) mechanics cut their teeth on this lump so if i can find a nostalgic mechanic can get a lot of the work done pretty easily. Also parts etc are easy to come by cos they continued using the engine in various cars here up until the 90's.
2) the steering is pretty loose and super heavy. I need to sort out the linkages...good news here again is that i think it is the same/similar steering box as a renault 12 which, again, is common as dirt so parts shouldn't be a problem.
3) the brakes are okay but want to get a professional to have a look at them and see if there is anyway to get a disc conversion done with off the shelf parts and a fabricated caliper bracket.
that's the main stuff for now...in the next few months i'm going to put in a wooden bed, get her sprayed, and reupholstered. there's a list of other small stuff that needs fixing too, fuel gauge not working, drivers side window not working, heater not working etc etc etc...but overall i'm over the moon i got her. Just arrived home after a long long drive so forgive me if this turned into a bit of a ramble :D :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:17 pm 

here are a couple of pics
i'm from scotland but currently i live in turkey. there are a few c10s/c20s here but they are through the roof expensive and this is the only luv i've actually ever seen. in Britain they were known as bedford kb20s but i was maybe too young to see them in the 70's/80's. i think i'll really struggle for any kind of oem parts here but turkey is a little bit like a poor man's cuba in that they tend to come up with ingenious ways to jerry rig things.
i noticed a member was from greece, any one else in turkey? europe?

Attachments:
IMG-20200224-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200224-WA0000.jpg [ 221.19 KiB | Viewed 9949 times ]
IMG-20200224-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20200224-WA0001.jpg [ 197.51 KiB | Viewed 9949 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Neat rig...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:15 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I don’t think there’s anyone else in Turkey on this forum.

That’s a nice truck. Neat paint scheme.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:32 pm 

Thanks for sharing the pics. Great little truck you have there! So interesting seeing the little differences from what we have in the US.