LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:24 pm 

Good day everyone,
As of this last Friday (Oct 28th), I am the proud owner of a 1978 Chevy Luv that needs a bit of work. After limping it home and checking on things, I am rather impressed that it made the 80 miles drive from Island Park, Idaho to Idaho Falls, Idaho without breaking down. I am also impressed that I was able to drive those 80s miles without getting pulled over.

Before leaving Island Park, I knew the truck was running rough and that it had some wiring issues (no brake, tail, or marker lights for example) but since it was raining rather hard, I didnt want to look in to it too much. It was able to idle so I decided to try and limp it home knowing that I could always tow it if needed. I quickly learned that it ran much worse than it seemed, The fasted I was able to get it to go when going downhill was 55mph and if the road was long and flat enough I could get it up around 45mph. Hills realllly sucked at 20mph tops.

I was able to get a better look at the truck this weekend and all I can say is that I wouldnt have driven it if I knew what all I would find... but it seemed to run fairly decent at idle. heh. The first thing I noticed after taking off the air cleaner assembly was that the carb itself was really loose and I would wiggle it... While wiggling the carb, I noticed the banjo fitting on for the fuel line was loose as well. I guess between the vacuum leak at the carb's base and the fuel leak at the inlet it balanced itself somewhat out. I also decided to pull the valve cover and check on the valve lash and such... the front bearing retainer for the cam was loose and all the valves were adjusted too tight, but what really surprised me was that the #1 cylinder had ZERO gap on its spark plug. It was not from mechanical failure but from someone closing the gap *shrugs*

Next, I checked out the ignition system, the coil, wireset, and plugs were new, but the rotor and cap were both old. the rotor isnt in bad shape but needs a good cleaning. the ballast resistor for the coil is missing though, and the condenser is not working as it should. the points are misaligned and the smaller contact has burnt in to the bigger one leaving a thicker ridge along half of the outer edge

the truck's wiring has been patched together a few times and is a mixture of factory wiring, extension cord, and wire nuts.

At this time, I am waiting for a head gasket and conversion gasket set for the truck so I can go through the motor and clean/inspect everything. I also plan on making a new simplified wiring harness for the truck since it is all messed up anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:05 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Welcome from Another idahoan.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:26 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

No pictures, it didn't happen!
Welcome to LUV addiction.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:11 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Hello & :signwelcome
Sounds like you had fun getten 'er home W/ ALL that going on

66 Chevelle The Oldest of all the vehicles I owned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:54 pm 

geneinnc wrote:
No pictures, it didn't happen!
Welcome to LUV addiction.

heh, i need to resize them... the forum wouldnt let me post any because they were wider than 900pixels. I will get some posted later tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:22 am 

here are some pictures

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:21 pm 

The other night (Tuesday night), I pulled the head off of the motor to check out the valves. other than needing a really good cleaning, everything looks to be in good shape. I am going to try and finish pulling the motor (im was impatient and wanted to see how the cylinder walls and valves looked) tonight and do a massive clean on it.

Attachment:
78-chevy-luv-20.jpg
78-chevy-luv-20.jpg [ 256.63 KiB | Viewed 4758 times ]

Attachment:
78-chevy-luv-21.jpg
78-chevy-luv-21.jpg [ 255.53 KiB | Viewed 4758 times ]

Attachment:
78-chevy-luv-22.jpg
78-chevy-luv-22.jpg [ 346.54 KiB | Viewed 4758 times ]