LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Old Dude
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:09 pm 

I've lurked on here for years, mainly because I was looking for my old LUV truck. I as very involved with the Mini Truck scene back in the 1970's. Before I built the LUV, I had built 3 Datsun's (One that was a magazine feature truck), A V8 Courier, and helped a friend with his V8 LUV (See thread "Coming Home" in the Newbie section). I got involved with Mini Truckin from a business standpoint as well, I wrote the Just Mini Truckin Column for Truckin magazine for a while and opened up a business devoted strictly to Mini's called the Mini Truck Store, this was in the late 1970's. Eventually I built my vision of the ultimate LUV truck. It's a 1972 that was chopped by Hot Rodding Legend Dick Dean< I worked with California Step Sides to build a custom one off step bed with wider than normal rear fenders. this truck had a HOT 331" small block Chevy and a chromed Corvette rear end.

I sold it in the mid 1980's to buy a Race car and eventually lost track of it. Eventually I found it posted on here and sent the owner a message, but never heard back. I kind of pushed it to the back of my mind again. But two things recently happened that have me trying to locate him again, 1) my buddy Jeff was able to buy back the V8 LUV that he sold in 1978 (actually we teamed up and bought it together) and 2) I was inducted into the Mini Truck Hall of Fame, lifetime Achievement Award, at SEMA back in November. These two things got me thinking how much I'd like to have it back, so if any of you know Jim Miller in Cadiz KY or have seen this truck, help me out !!!!!

Post subject: Re: New Old Dude
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Nice truck. Good luck...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:45 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Hope you get it back. Welcome to the site.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

:smt023 :signiagree Yep, what they said.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Nice to see your renewed interest. Where was your store located? I am thinking I was a regular customer back then but my memory is fuzzy at best. I used to go to a retail store almost every payday that had headlight covers, tube grills, seats, and all the goodies. 8)

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:14 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Welcome to the site dynodon. Don't give up on finding the truck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:56 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I believe my Bro in Law was a customer of yours. Around 79-80 he had a yellow small blocked luv with a snug top. He had a painting of the Rainbow album cover on the tailgate, a fist grabbing a rainbow out of the sea. He was in the club that help put on the RG Canning shows in the Ventura fairgrounds. Sunset minis was one of his clubs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:43 am 

LUVTRKR wrote:
Nice to see your renewed interest. Where was your store located? I am thinking I was a regular customer back then but my memory is fuzzy at best. I used to go to a retail store almost every payday that had headlight covers, tube grills, seats, and all the goodies. 8)

The first store was on 17th street in Santa Ana. We then opened a second store on the Famous Cruise route - Whittier Blvd.
I had this truck in the showroom of the Whittier store, right in the front windows

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:44 am 

Luvrv8 wrote:
I believe my Bro in Law was a customer of yours. Around 79-80 he had a yellow small blocked luv with a snug top. He had a painting of the Rainbow album cover on the tailgate, a fist grabbing a rainbow out of the sea. He was in the club that help put on the RG Canning shows in the Ventura fairgrounds. Sunset minis was one of his clubs.

Probably was a customer. The truck sounds familiar and I am still friends with the President of Sunset Truckers from back then, Bob Hase

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:30 am 
Addicted to LUV

DynoDon wrote:
The first store was on 17th street in Santa Ana.

I was a customer in the Santa Ana store for sure. I drove a 76 stepside back then for work until the smog laws screwed me over. I bought everything I could afford. 8)

Attachment:
76luv2.jpg
76luv2.jpg [ 40.78 KiB | Viewed 7808 times ]

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:06 pm 

LUVTRKR wrote:
DynoDon wrote:
The first store was on 17th street in Santa Ana.

I was a customer in the Santa Ana store for sure. I drove a 76 stepside back then for work until the smog laws screwed me over. I bought everything I could afford. 8)

Attachment:
76luv2.jpg

Thanks :) That looks just like my club member and old room mates V8 LUV - Craig Hart

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I knew Craig back then and that is his old hood on my truck. His fan blade went through it and I don't think he liked the repair and got a new one. I put his stock motor in my truck. His truck was way fast. It is a small world, I got married and started having kids and the Mini truck scene drifted away.

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:30 pm 

LUVTRKR wrote:
I knew Craig back then and that is his old hood on my truck. His fan blade went through it and I don't think he liked the repair and got a new one. I put his stock motor in my truck. His truck was way fast. It is a small world, I got married and started having kids and the Mini truck scene drifted away.

What's your name? Craig and I rented a house in Huntington Beach. He belonged to California's Finest which was the club I started. I remember the hood/fan incident LOL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:43 pm 
Addicted to LUV

DynoDon wrote:
LUVTRKR wrote:

What's your name? Craig and I rented a house in Huntington Beach. He belonged to California's Finest which was the club I started. I remember the hood/fan incident LOL

I'm Tim Ketner, Craig worked at Chuck & Sam's in Fullerton with another buddy Skeeter. I was in the Navy and would come and go but eventually lived with Dave Hayley in Fullerton until I got married. Good Times.

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:37 pm 

Tim, I occasionally see Craig. Forgot all about Chuck & Sams :) Craig has been a Ford Factory Diesel mechanic for years