LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:58 pm 

I got a nice Christmas present last year (2012) and I have been working on it since. "Jimmy" didn't have a motor or tranny installed when I got him. I did get a Toyota 22R engine with it, though. I have gotten almost all the parts I need for it at this time, but always looking for odds and ends.

Jimmy's history:

This all started out with my uncle buying it from the dealer brand new. About 9 years later, he gave it to my grandparents. Ten years after that, my grandpa gave it to my dad. It still had the original 1.8L and 4 speed tranny. Dad towed it over 300 miles home and decided to scrap the original motor for reasons I can't recall. He decided to install (with my help) a 4.3L Chevy V6 out of a 1989 GMC Safari van. This is where the truck got his nickname. He chose a TH350 for the tranny and he changed the rear axle out to one from a 1992 S-10 Blazer. Jimmy ran for years like this until the charging system stopped working. We tried replacing the alternator, voltage regulator, and the battery. Nothing made it come back. Then Jimmy sat in the driveway for years. I kept thinking of ways to get Jimmy back on the road.

Enter the Toyota 22R (Dun-dun-DUN). This little gem I had plans for before but was taken from me to settle a debt. Another uncle of mine used it for a while for a piece of his machinery and for some reason really needed some money. My dad helped him out by buying it. Then, it too, sat for years. I saw my idea come into play in my mind. Put the 22R into Jimmy... The kicker was, "How?"

Now I come to 2012. I already knew that Jimmy would be my Christmas present and started my extensive research. What transmission to put behind the 22R, keep the S-10 rear end or change that out, etc.

The Here and Now:

I have the basic outline worked out. Here's some of what I have:

1981 Toyota Celica 22R 2.4L 4 cyl
1986 Toyota RV A43D 4-speed auto
1985 Toyota 4x4 pickup rear end with 4.11 gears (I chose this because it has the same bolt pattern for the rims as the original LUV)
1966 Ford Mustang 3-row radiator
1982 Toyota pickup power steering pump w/ brackets (I still need a rack/gearbox and hoses to use it.)
1987 Chevy C-30 alternator
A 16-circuit wire harness from Rebel Wire
14-inch electric fan (I still need a control unit for this)

If anyone out there has any questions on swapping a 4.3L Chevy V6 or a Toyota 22R into a 1st generation LUV, feel free to ask. I'd love to trade info! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:26 pm 

Automatic tranmission!? This idea makes me sad :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Cool story , but i'd have stayed V6 , just me , Post up some pics .....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:46 am 

UPDATE:

I exchanged the mustang radiator for a better fitting one for a 1978 Toyota Corona. I also have a hydraulic steering rack from a 1986 Volvo 244 DL. I did get a Derale Fan controller as well. I have installed both items and will post pics of the rack installation as soon I get the rest of it done, i.e., taking 2 steering columns and making one out of them. (I like to make sure I'm right before I "open my mouth and remove all doubt [that I'm a fool]" :P )

To hotrod80: As far as keeping the V-6 in the LUV, that was not possible in this case because my Dad decided to keep it and put it into his 1971 C-10.

To SirMcMuffin: Just letting you know, the reason for the automatic transmission is the fact that I have problems with my left knee. Hurts like the Dickens if I flex it too often and sometimes it will pop out of place for no reason.