LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Brand New LUV owner '81
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:20 am 

:ebiggrin So far LUV the LUV cause its the perfect little truck. My last truck was an '84 manual toyota 4cyl and i loved that truck, but the LUV has two upgrades that fit me like a glove; the 4x4 and the diesel. I had no idea a small truck like this existed.

So everything is great except... I'm here at this forum cause two days ago I encountered a number of issues and they didn't really improve as I limped the last 100 ft to a pull off up the mountain.

1. Steam started pouring from the hood as my coolant bubbled out of the yellow coolant release (the top blown off from the pressure).

2. Belts, of the belts, one had fallen off and the other was turned inside out and riding on the pulleys

3. a little sensor broke (its the little sensor above the belts. looks like the wires are jb welded to a plug?)

4. Brakes got real tough to push down and didn't work as well.

I replaced the belts and drove it back home but still

now I am trying to figure out why:

A: it overheated so bad and how to fix that.

B: Whats up with the breaks?

C: fix that little sensor, but I think I can handle that.

anyhow, I realize that's less of an Introduction and more of a venting session.
glad to be a part of the club

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

No belt means no water pump or cooling fan which leads to overheating. The belt coming off could be the cause of all the trouble. Make sure the belts are on correctly, tight, and not slipping. Other factors that could cause overheating would be stuck/bad thermostat, or a clogged radiator. If you still have trouble after replacing the belts, check (or just replace) the thermostat first, then radiator.

The alternator has a vacuum pump on the back side to operate the vacuum assist booster on the brakes. Back to the belt on that, no spinning alt means no power assisted brakes.

The belt probably smacked the sensor when it came off. I'm not sure what sensor that would be though, hopefully one of the diesel guys will know more. Some parts like that are still available and it might be cheaper and better to replace it with new.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

First, welcome to the site. I'm one of the few around here who favor the 2nd-generation LUV. ;)

800xl is dead-on about the overheating AND the brakes. As for the sensor, there are three--but only two are on the front side of the thermostat housing (above the belts). One is for the glow system (one wire). The other is for the fast-idle system (two wires). The fast-idle on most of these trucks is no longer functional due to diaphragm failure. As for the sensor for the glow system (assuming the system is unmodified), it will do a full glow cycle without this sensor. If the sensoou r worked, it would shorten the glow cycle when the motor is warm. It will not affect starting or running, but it could lead to premature glow plug failure.

There are a couple of maintenance items that you MUST pay attention to:

Timing belt - should be changed every 60k miles. Some owners have NEVER changed them. If it breaks, the pistons and valves WILL collide. It will bend pushrods, and break rocker arms.

Oil line - As 800xl mentioned, there's a vacuum pump on the back of the alternator. I must have a constant supply of oil. So it has an oil line from the block to the vacuum pump. After about 20 years, they're pretty brittle. After 30 years, they're FRAGILE. If this line breaks, it will quickly empty the motor of all oil. Since it has a fabric cover, you can't see the cracks. Best to replace it. There's a guy on the IsuzuPup.com site who has connections with Isuzu, and he keeps those lines in stock all the time. They run about $40 with shipping, if I'm not mistaken.

And is the "AVL" in your username is for Asheville, NC?

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:51 am 

I'm not sure if this is the proper way to reply on this thread. I hope so. Thanks Joel and 800xl. I've replaced the power booster for the breaks and the two belts and I bought the sensor, I'm working on that today. It is the one (standing in front of the engine) on the left above the belts. I thought it was what was causing the overheat, but now I see its probably something else cause as 800 said the overheating could be the belts. Well I had replaced the belts and the brakes were still difficult...

(i wrote the above, forgot to hit send, then I finished my brake job...)

... my brakes are still hard to press down :( I replaced the power booster and bled the brakes... what else causes that.?

otherwise... I replaced both sensors... with new sensors that look different from the old ones. I won't really know if they work until I can get it on the road a little. I can't get it on the road until I know what is up with the brakes, so that is where i am at. hope ya'll are having a great day!

AVL = Asheville NC yup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

TUFLUVAVL wrote:
... my brakes are still hard to press down :( I replaced the power booster and bled the brakes... what else causes that.?

If any vacuum line has a leak, it can do that. With 30+ year old vacuum lines, they're not as flexible as they used to be.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:11 am 

Thanks Jack, I'll examine my vacuum lines then I suppose.