LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hello from Connecticut
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:57 pm 

I'm the new owner of a 1982 2wd LUV diesel. I recently purchased it in Washington and drove it home. (I was frustrated by how rusty older trucks in Connecticut are!) The picture was taken near Missoula, Montana. I'm hoping to find some Connecticut LUV enthusiasts who a can learn from and maybe point me to some local used part sources. I was seeking some stock wheels so I don't have to keep swapping my studded snow tires with my summer tires.

Edit: Sorry the pictures are too high a resolution to download on this system. You might be able to see it here: http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file ... &mode=view AND http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file ... &mode=view

Last edited by Jonathan on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:20 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome aboard, and nice truck...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:39 pm 
da LUV masta

That was a long drive!
Nice looking truck and welcome to the site.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:27 pm 

Welcome! nice truck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Good looking truck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome , nice truck . What kind of fuel mileage did you get on the trip ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:19 am 

Thank you for all the welcomes.

You aint kiddin about it being a long drive. Google maps said it was 50 hours of driving time. It was every bit of that. I bought a one way ticket to Seattle, then rented a car to drive about an hour north to look at it. I bought it that Thursday night. I returned the rental car that night and slept in the LUV on a twin sized air mattress til I got home Saturday (8 AM) a week and a few days later. (I showered at truck stops when I couldn't stand myself!) I spent most of Friday getting ready to drive home. I had two break downs along the way which cost me about 3 days of down time.

The first break down was the switch for the windshield wipers in the steering column. They stopped working in Idaho in light drizzle in daylight on Saturday. I found a mechanic near Missoula, Montana who thought I need a windshield wiper motor. He ordered the parts which were scheduled to be in on Tuesday morning. Monday night he started taking the motor out so I could turn it in for the core charge and we found out the problem wasn't the motor but the switch. Oops! I always wanted to sleep in the back of a pick-up in a strange town for a couple of days. Tuesday morning he worked on the switch and got it so it sort of worked. (Went up in smoke right after I got home!)

The next break down was near Cleveland Ohio about 11 PM. I found an auto electric re-builder in Cleveland the next morning and was on my way by 2 PM that day. Supper nice people there. The only thing they didn't do is sprinkle flower pedals on the floor before me as I walked in. http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file ... &mode=view http://nepacrossroads.com/download/file ... &mode=view Not only did they rebuild my alternator while I waited, one of the workers bought me lunch!!!

I left out a lot of details but my wife wants me to get more sleep before I have to get to work today.

29.4 miles to the gallon stomping on it all the way. (Did 75 mph wherever it was legal.) I thought it would get better. I was hoping for 40 and no I wasn't smokin anything.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:49 am 
Addicted to LUV

What an adventure. You have to have huevos to buy a 31 year old truck and drive it cross country like that. Sellers tell you the good things about a vehicle and sometimes forget a few bad things. Congrats on the find and welcome. 8)

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:58 am 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome to the site. It's rare to find any of these trucks that have survived that far north.

RockAuto.com says they have the wiper (combo) switches, but I have not seen one from them. I have a spare for myself, and I know where there's an '86 (a P'up) in a salvage yard. I'm planning to get some parts from it pretty soon, so let me know if you need me to grab that switch.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:35 pm 

LUVTRKR wrote:
What an adventure. You have to have huevos to buy a 31 year old truck and drive it cross country like that. Sellers tell you the good things about a vehicle and sometimes forget a few bad things. Congrats on the find and welcome. 8)

Masta,......Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. That about it in a nutshell.

Last edited by Jonathan on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:40 pm 

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Welcome to the site. It's rare to find any of these trucks that have survived that far north.

RockAuto.com says they have the wiper (combo) switches, but I have not seen one from them. I have a spare for myself, and I know where there's an '86 (a P'up) in a salvage yard. I'm planning to get some parts from it pretty soon, so let me know if you need me to grab that switch.

Jack

AutoZone has the steering column switch at $179. Ouch! The steering wheel has to come off to replace it. The heater core is available from Isuzu at $400. That is insane. I got a junk yard heater core for $100 and lucky to get it in these parts.

I'm hoping to find a full set of factory wheels locally so I don't have to switch out my studded snow tires in the spring.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Jonathan wrote:
AutoZone has the steering column switch at $179. Ouch! The steering wheel has to come off to replace it. The heater core is available from Isuzu at $400. That is insane. I got a junk yard heater core for $100 and lucky to get it in these parts.

I'm hoping to find a full set of factory wheels locally so I don't have to switch out my studded snow tires in the spring.

Combo switch--
That is correct, the steering wheel has to come off to get to the combo switch. I've pulled quite a few of these from salvage yards over the years. Switches from Troopers up through '91 are interchangeable.

Heater core--
I know a retired Isuzu guy who sells factory Isuzu parts. He can get the new cores for just over $300. Yes, it's high, but cheaper than the dealers sell them for. He tells us that the new cores are reinforced and are much better than the originals. If you want a used, one, the Isuzu Trooper cores through '91 are interchangeable. I've pulled two of them recently, and they cost about $25 at my local salvage yards. And they're easier to remove from the Trooper than from a LUV/P'up. Get the latest one you can, a 1991 if possible.

Wheels--
I don't know what's available in your area, but again--most Trooper rims would interchange. I have a set of 15" alloys from a Trooper on mine. I paid $200 for the set, but steelies would be quite a bit less. I'd find them local, since shipping would cost too much.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:48 am 

"Heater core--
I know a retired Isuzu guy who sells factory Isuzu parts. He can get the new cores for just over $300. Yes, it's high, but cheaper than the dealers sell them for. He tells us that the new cores are reinforced and are much better than the originals."

Jack, my junk yard replacement heater core is a leaker. :smt013 Do you have contact info for "your" parts guy?

Update: I sent Jerry and email. I think he is the man I'm looking for. Correct me if I am wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Jonathan wrote:
Jack, my junk yard replacement heater core is a leaker.:smt013
You didn't get that core from me, did you?
Jonathan wrote:
Do you have contact info for "your" parts guy?

Update: I sent Jerry and email. I think he is the man I'm looking for. Correct me if I am wrong.
Jerry is who I had in mind. He just posted on the Planetsuzoo.com forum that a shipment of cores came in Friday.

Jack