LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:18 pm 

Hello everyone, we are "Too Fast For LUV," a racing team with two LUVs that we run in the "24 Hours of Lemons" racing series. This is an endurance race where you're only allowed to spend $500 on your racecar (not including safety gear). We didn't intend to be a LUV themed team but that's the $500 car we ended up with. Our first one is a '72 that was a dirt track racer for the last decade. It has a roll cage, everything non-essential has been stripped, and the battery has been relocated to the bed where there is also a fuel cell. The cab has been lengthened, the windshield replaced with Lexan, and the frame has been lowered by chopping it over the rear axle and adding inverted "V"s. Disc brakes have been added to the front and the rear spider gears are welded. The original Isuzu engine had been milled down to give it more compression, and on our first race, the engine gave up the ghost and we came in #159 out of 166. You know what they say: You can't hurry LUV.

Now we are prepping two teams, adding a '79 LUV Mikado to our fleet. We're dropping an S-10 engine in the first LUV and running the second pretty much as-is (including camper shell). However we've had to remove much of the Mikado trim and will be offering it for sale in an upcoming post. We're also trying to feel out if there is demand for the heater core, under-dash ductwork, stuff like that.

We're based in Oakland and will be competing in the Arse-Freeze-A-Palooza in Southern California on December 9th. Everybody at the race loved our LUV, people are really fond of these things.

This forum has already been a great help!

Attachments:
IMG_0959.JPG
IMG_0959.JPG [ 393.6 KiB | Viewed 4935 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:42 pm 

Hi!!! Welcome to Luvtruck.com Good luck on your Race.Wish I could Be there to See it :) I might Be interested in the Seatbelts tho...... I save the Item on EBay :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Where in so cal are you racing?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/freeze12.aspx out in Desert Center. Sounds like fun!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Is the track close to the airport?

EDIT. I see the track and airport are on the same property. They also have camping areas too, so if I go is it the motorhome or plane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Your plane, my camper? Meet you there. Or bring your motor home and we can camp together.
I would like to attend this and see what it's all about. This sounds like something I might be interested in doing. I would like to get into a new hobby. I have been thinking about an 1/8th mile vehicle, but this might be fun also.

Edit. The wife and daughter are both gone that weekend. I'll be home on dog duty. Oh well, I'll watch for next year. This sounds fun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

man that would be a ton of fun! i read abotu it a year or so ago and it sounded great. would be an awesome excuse for a road trip :lol:
whats the deal with the $500 rule? do you need to bring proof of purchase and receipts and such or just run it by honesty

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:14 pm 

love4theluv wrote:
man that would be a ton of fun! i read abotu it a year or so ago and it sounded great. would be an awesome excuse for a road trip :lol:
whats the deal with the $500 rule? do you need to bring proof of purchase and receipts and such or just run it by honesty

Ha ha they run it by "b.s." not honesty. Money spent on brakes and seatbelts etc doesn't count, and if they think you've gone over the limit, they'll issue penalty laps. The way they keep people honest is that the organizers have a claim rule: They can buy any car after the race for $500. So if you put juicy parts in it you better be prepared to lose them.

They also have a "black card" where, if enough teams vote that someone is being a jerk, they will crush your car. So you can see that people show up in the spirit of racing lemons, not in the spirit of cheating to win. I'm sure it goes on but in general everybody there was there to have a great time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

sounds like my kinda race :lol:
will have to try it in a year or two when i can afford a car to run in it
im sure i could find a rusty luv for $350 and throw junkyard isuzu parts on

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride