LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: the luv in my life
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:17 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

was at the junk yard and decided to try out this seat... it ended up going home with me...

a 99 chevy cavalier at the junk yard that had seen better days...

the b-pillar is completly sheered off at the 3 points of spot welds

notice the quality of "metal" that chevy used compared to the quality of plastic that rear driver side handle is still good im sure if you could get to the 2 nuts that hold that in place from the rear you could get it off as for the rest of the car that is a massive ammount of tow out there in the rear...

also manage to pick up a few other things while i was out there....
yep i thred that hatch on my back the seat on top of that rubber seal was to strap it all together the tires to even out the weight as well as a carb off a 85 trooper and what i thought was the right distributor... :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:36 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

small little up date so i went to napa yesterday to get a new cap (i paid $4 and change) and rotor pull the wires off the cap put them on the new one throw on the new button and clip it all back on... jump in the truck and hit the ignition switch and it cranks and cranks and no fire so i check the firing order every things correct so for what ever reason i look in the new cap and there's no spring loaded plunger that rides on the rotor.. go back in and there out of the same brand that i bought... go figure just my luck... thinking at this point that i am going to have to pay 3x the price for the only other one napa carries the guy walks back grabs a higher price unit ($20 and change) pulls it out of the box its in hand it to me and says here this should compensate you for your gas and time to drive back out here...

any ways picked up a new head unit for my truck its not what i had originally thought i wanted but the price was right (should be getting here like tuesday) as well as last week i picked up a 4 channel amp that i will be wiring in with the new head unit...

need to pick up a few feet of 2awg so i can complete the grounding of both battaries... still have not come across a tool box that will fit the luv yet so i can relocate the battery to the bed...

and lastly a design i came up with for sub box... not really finished designing it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

that looks just like the box i drew up back when :lol:
still need to get it build i have a little wedge box behind my passenger with a 10" and a 1000w amp under the pass seat...i have a second matching 10 i dont have a box for so i need to make one that fits.. barely any room you running 10's or 12's?

that is a slick design for the box i like the tunnel to clear the trans tunnel. mine ended up looking like a trapezoid in my drawings since it was all straight pieces.
you pretty much have to put the sub way down low to clear the back of the seat :lol: my passenger seat is scooted forward 2-3" to car the box since it was one i had and didnt build to fit.

i have a plastic toolbox that was in a toyota or something i got for free a while back that fits almost perfect in my bed. but i think you would be better off with a low pro aluminum box or even a large standard toolbox (workbench toolbox)

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:57 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

the plan is to run a pair of 12" pioneer shallow mounts... which will/should clear the brace that runs the width of the seat with the 2" rise i built in to the box....

as for the tranny tunnel yeah the box i have in the truck right now is 28" wide just over a foot tall and 7" wide at the bottom and 3" wide at the top and it clears fairly well (except the tranny tunnel)

the original design i had/have for it was squared off the angles of this are braces on the exterior of the box (that in the pic is more aesthetic then functional it only gives me like 0.004 cubic inch more room...) pictures to follow

as for the tool box i don't want a plastic one as i have to cut holes in the bottom of it to run power wires through it for the possibly 2-3 batteries that will be in the bottom of it as well with the subs pounding the plastic box will flex and rattle where as a metal box will be more rigid and less prone to making the truck sound more like a beer can....

Last edited by jgilk1 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:16 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

i still have to get my hands on a set of these subs because pioneer was not gracious to provide the amount of subwoofer excursion (the distance the subwoofer moves outward)

the subwoofers i am looking at picking up... sub box space is limited so i have to go shallow mount...
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_182 ... 001S4.html

as well i am planning to upgrade the subwoofer amp to a hifonics brutus 1200.1...
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_235 ... 00.1D.html
it should give me the flexibility and rms power needed to push both subwoofers...

The amp i am planning on running for the door speakers... unless the door speakers and rear speakers change in the future have to get the new head unit and 2 pair of rca cables to hook it up since i can not find a highlevel input pigtail anywhere on the net for this amp its is a sony xm-444w
the amp functioned fine when i bought it but it was scratched to hell so i pulled the heat sink sanded it down and repainted it... no amp is complete with out a shiny logo lol

new head unit vr3 VRVD640G cd, dvd, navigation, usb, sd, and aux inputs, as well as a few other features that i was looking for like 3 sets of rca outputs.. front, rear, and subwoofer

the next thing i need to get is a cross over and a sound processor.. ro control all of these seperatly with out having to readjust each amp for any corrections...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

very nice!! gonna be a hell of a lot of bass in your back :lol:
with 2-3 batteries are you going to run one for the standard operating parts and the others for the system and epectronics like dual alt and two seperate battery systems or link them all together and run one system?

im running a single (will be a pair) of JBL 1000w peak 10's with a VR3 1000w amp. some basic unamplified kenwood 6 1/2's. going to pick up a set of kicker 6 1/2's amp and crossover when i have some spare cash. after this ticket :lol:

that head unit is nicceeee 8O i got most of my system from a coworker that upgraded to a few 12's and a 2400w amp in his jeep. how much are you looking at for the whole system?

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:22 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

i have been running dual alternators for i think its almost 2 months now if not just over a month(just over 1k miles) the stock 35amp is running the truck and the dodge 135amp will be running the amps and other assorted accessories... ill get some pics up here soon as to how i have the alternator and everything wired right now...

yes i am running dual alternators and dual battery banks... though the battery i am using for the amp right and secondary charging system is bloated and was when i put it in...

the box will be about 2 sheets of um still in the design phase of the box but with the lack of space behind the seats i hope i can get away with using 3/4" mdf my fingers are crossed i dont have to sacerfice and go with 1/2" mdf because i dont think itll stand up to the pounding.... (still waiting to hear back from a car audio forum and a local box builder here in spokane to see if i can get away with using 3/4" mdf and still provide the sub with enough airspace inside the box

the subs and hifonics amp are going to run right around $500... and i have about $400 in to the current setup...

batteries will be about $150 a pop and another $60-$100 in upgrading the wiring i just installed... from 4awg ot 1/0 as well i still need to deal with a few grounding issues with both batteries (there not issues but i just dont like how i currently have the grounds setup....)

with a 1000w amp you only pushing about 300-450 wrms if not less to those subwoofers jfyi

i cant believe i never got pictures of the dual alternators installed wheni finished getting everything buttoned down

any ways the second alternator is a 135a unit out of a 99 dodge ram 1500 (i think it was the 5.9l motor) these are externally regulated units much like the luvs stock alternator.. and these in factory setup are regulated by the trucks pcm... so i picked up a used 2 wire voltage regulator and the pig tail off a 1980 dodge 3500 panel van... (1989 and previous dodges had this unit) it doesnt matter which wire you run off of which pole on the alternator but the top wire of the vr has to be powered by a 12v switched source (i used a relay between the ignition switch and second battery)

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframe ... 09X-272802

part # for reference
ACDELCO Part # C603Z

and rock auto doesnt have a listing for the pig tail...

(v-belt pully salvenged from the 78 ford as well)
to mount a v-belt pully on the dodge alternator i used an air grinder to round out the nose of the pully and beveled the nut to fit... then i ran in to a spacer issue with the pully not being spaced out far enough from the alternator body... which was quickly remedied with a fender washer that was step bored out to snugly fit the shaft and the out side diameter was filed down smoothly to ride the outter bearing race of the front shaft bearing (the pully normally rides on this taper which is why i have no worries that the washed being there... when all was said and done minus the upper alternator bracket and the wiring it looks factory

to mount the alternator i pulled off the smog pump bracket from the block and used a bench grinder to grind the "bushings flush with the rest of the bracket recessed the bushings in the alternator with a wooden mallet and the lower mount was taken care of the upper belt tensioner was made from the stock smog pump bracket and a scavanged alternator bracket off a 1978 ford truck (f150/f100 with a 302 v8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:09 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

these pictures suck but there all i have right now... ill grab a few while at work tomorrow

i simply replaced the smop crap with a second alternator

tomorrow will be a big update day of looks of the truck i realised that after putting on the correct offset wheels (that dont scrub) i never took any pictures of the stance... ill get some better pictures of the dual alternator setup (i might end up having the truck professionally wired to get a cleaner look out of the setup and so they can properly set the gains and cross overs on the amp's

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:20 am 

U got a lot of thread here but the clutch should be Manuel...there sweet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:10 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

luv7989 i don't get what your saying... the title to the truck is registered as a 1976 4x4 with a 4 speed automatic (which we know these were sold in 1976 as 2wd with either a 3 speed automatic and or a 4 speed manual...

yes it is a manual and 2wd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:28 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

forgot my phone at home today... uugh to many shift changes in the last 3 weeks and i have 2 more on the way.... i guess thats what happens when you work for a stable company that deals in mostly unstable federally regulated goods...

i have been through 6 weeks of training at work since i started in november just started a week of training on monday start a new schedule on next monday and then again that next tuesday hopefully this will be the last round of program changes for a few months... if only i got a pay raise for all of this shit...

i did how ever pull a compression test tonight with a better quality tester then i had before...

cyl 1 152psi
cyl 2 149psi
cyl 3 142psi
cyl 4 156psi

so there all still with in 20psi

i mean i would have love to see the guage hit 215 psi per cylinder but the fuel millege would suffer with that... haha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:14 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

sub box update.... and tool box

tool box first tomorrow i will be going to look at a tool box out of a 01 ford ranger the guy is asking a good price and its not that far of a drive from work... and it will be a good second test test of the new gps head unit... lol

the stupid british sounding lady giving me directions had me pull off the interstate drive 3 blocks on the side streets and then jump back on the same interstate...

for the sub box i will be doing a mix of wood thickness as i thought 1/2" mdf will not be able to handle the power i am looking to throw at it i will end up using 5/8" mdf for the sides and back and 3/4" for the front where the subs mount

As well instead of doing a split box (dual chamber) i will be doing a open box (single chamber) so i will be sacerficing spl (the loud ness of the boom for more of a softer boom with better bass reflex (quality)

the only thing i will have to do and this is more for space is cutting out the metal bar the runs the length of the seat and replacing it with a bolt in bar on the inside of the seat...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:55 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

ok i promised these pics a wile back this is the dodge alternator mounted in the location where the smog pump was power is routed through a external voltage regulator and fused with a 150a anl fuse... the power goes back to a spare battery that is right now sitting behind the driver seat (i have 2 amps in the car thus the 3-red wires the 4awg from the battery 1 4awg to the sub amp and the other one is for the multi channel for the door and rear speakers)

any one got a lense and frame for the driver side blinker there willing to sell or have a copy made of?