LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: the luv in my life
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:17 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

My name is James i am 24 i live in Washington state i just purchased a 1976 Chevy LUV Mikado... i guess that's what it is

registration says 1976 Chevrolet luv 4x4 for $505 after tax, licensing, and registration ($300)

i guess i didn't even realize that the truck was 4wd hum might be interesting...

found the truck on Craigslist through a local dealer being sold for $600 in running drivable condition....

been working non stop so i hadn't had the time to stop and take a look till tonight.... you know a $600 luv i was half expecting a rusted out body... i get there to take a look and well there was nothing running or drivable about the truck it would crank over but not fire so i sat down with the over writer and talked the truck down from $600 with financing to $300 cash and state's cut... will be headed back tomorrow with a trailer to get it...

here's the pictures i have for now provided by the seller will take some better ones when i arrive to get it...

as you can see on the passenger side fender there is a huge dent... i think after some body work with the way the truck looks in person i will be doing a tri color paintjob... baby metalic blue on top and bottom with the center section white

Post subject: Re: the luv in my life
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:20 am 
Addicted to LUV

No factory 4x4 in 1976. And it does not look like it is a 4x4. Front bumper looks pretty sweet though...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:33 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

it is a 4x2 (2wd) and apparently the vin number comes up in Washington state as it being previously registered as a 4x4 4wd model??? oh well

any ways went back and picked the car up and brought it home... rather foggy today (less then 1/8 mile visibility) so no pictures :(

starting off with it is not getting any fuel to the carb/front fuel pump/ or filter... usually a rather simple fix its a chevy drop the tank and lines clean them and reinstall or replace...

the power to the coil is a solid 0.8 volts so im going to have to trace some wires and do some more voltage checking cause my thoughts are that 12v should be hitting the positive side of the coil?.... im not familiar with a points style distributor setup so i have a ballast resistor and a condenser? what should my voltages and resistance of each be?

symptoms consist of not igniting starter fluid for more then a few revolutions (even with a good 2-3 shots of fluid) and problem above

will be doing a full service/tune up on the truck as well... its going to be a long couple of weeks i can see it now... followed by 60-80 hours of body work and paint...

but the good news is the truck is now sitting in my drive way ready to be made golden again..

i haven't crawled under the vehicle yet but how far out should the e-break lever be pulled before it locks the wheels? as i have to pull it all the way out plus a give me jerk

compression was good @ 150-160 psi cylinder 2 being the lowest... so at least i know im working with a some what stable platform

the only thing thats going to hinder this project is $$$ but it'll get the

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:37 am 
da LUV masta

Nice find James! Congratulations on your purchase!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:31 am 
da LUV masta

Welcome James!
I'm guessing that you are in the Spokane/CDA area.
I saw that LUV posted on Craigslist and wondered what condition it Actually was in considering it was from a dealer.
Keep an eye out at Pull and Save for parts,they usually have at least 2-3 LUVs in the yard.
If you plan on keeping it and fixing it up you will definately want to get a factory shop manual for it,I might have a spare one,I'll check in the morning.

Again,Welcome and Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:41 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

yes i am from the spokane area... more a less

and that luv you got pictured look's spokane valley/post falls familiar you always keep the camper shell on it?

as for spaldings/pull and save and Pegasus over in hayden/cda i don't think there is ever going to be a shortage of parts trucks in the area...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:18 pm 
da LUV masta

Yeah,the canopy has been on the 79 longbox in my sig pic 90% of the time over the past 5 years or so.
I live in the Hillyard area but have been all over the Inland Northwest in that truck since "05", a lot of time in the Spokane Valley and Post Falls areas.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:50 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

ok so i got some work done on the truck today... some one had the truck setup to fire 2,1,4,3
set it back to 1,3,4,2 the coil i don't think is providing adequate spark as i had to gap the plugs at .30 vs stock .75 and removed the fuel filter that had been installed vertically...

runs fine from idle to about 1500 rpm then begins to miss and sputter let off the gas for a second it picks back up and continues till i shift up...

replaced all the fluids oil, clutch fluid, break's were bleed completely as the fluid was black

noticed after putting about 15 miles on it that there was coolant being sprayed every where in the engine compartment... grabbed the fan to notice that the water pump is completely shot

few questions... it is a hydrolic clutch isn't it? cause it has a new clutch (grabs strong at least) and i cant feel the engagement/disengagement point when pressing or releasing the clutch

pictures up in a bit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:46 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Howdy from Vay! about 45 miles north of CDA. Does Pegasus have any new ones there? there was a 79-80 that was there but it was pretty bad. and that was well last year. Walks wrecking has quite a few trooper parts if your looking to upgrade. Dam the luvs up here have been selling like crazy!!! your was on there 4 days? there was a white 79 that the carb was shot in that was on on there 2 days and GONE! :lol: Ive been lookin for a cheap parts rig. havent had any luck. :( Ill find one tho! 8) Good luck with yours! Gota luv them!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:06 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:13 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

brianloveshorse spaldings has 3 luvs between there 2 lots (the one there off Montgomery and there new location up in hillyard)

the place i got this one has had it since November 11th but it was posted on craigslist on december 3rd...

no stereo at the moment as you can see the wires coming out of the opening in the dash... but who needs to listen to talk radio going to work?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:24 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

ok so it has been 2 weeks since i bought the truck and after 2 weeks of fiddling with it

there are still a few minor issues... (yes i bought a Haynes manual but that tells me wire colors and how its suppose to be wired... dont tell me specs...)

my temperature gauge doesn't work where is the temperature sensor on the motor?
what is the operating resistance suppose to be? running temp, max, cold?

my blower motor doesn't work...
how do i test the blower motor or switch to see which is bad? (fuse tests good)

i have no reverse lights...
and no voltage to the rear lights where is the reverse switch located?

my charging light is always on
i have 12 volts at the alternator with key on and truck off and 14.4v with the truck running

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Temp sensor is on the bottom side of the intake manifold.

My buddy had an issue with the blower motor on his, and it was the wires right where they went into the blower motor housing, might check there first. If they look good, take a test like or multimeter and check where the blower motor connects to the harness for voltage.

Reverse lights did not work on his truck as well, there was a wiring bundle running down the trans tunnel that was mice chewed (his is an auto)

His charge light situation was similar. After replacing the voltage regulator it stopped. I know, it looks to be correct, but...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:27 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

thanks for the response... ill chase down the wiring in the tunnel and see whats up there... (bulbs and sockets test good for current)

temperature sensor is um not there hole where i think it should be is plugged with a bolt...

im going to replace the voltage regulator and see if that fixes any other issues... as well some $417 head wired in to the ignition for constant power and acc and shoved the wired in to the dash... with no wire nuts or electrical tape.. . (aside from the ones for the stereo)....

just to note i don't think the previous owner was much in to maintenance or upkeep

finally got around to starting the full service of the truck

oil change for the second time since i got it almost 600 miles and the oil looked as though it had not been changed in ... charcol black and gritty.. both changes were accompanied with b12 chemtool in the oil for at least 3 trips to work (180 miles) ... i think 1 more oil change and i can check the oiling system off if not im going to have to pull the pan and scrape it clean...

also i had the time to flush the break system... 36 year old break fluid is some nasty shit

lowered the front 1" each side well see how it rides for the next few days

now on to the new issue... went to do an oil change on the rear end... um plugs are rusted in place and my big manly strength rounded them off with a 5' cheater bar... i know plugs are cheap but at this point im doubting that the plugs in the diff have been separated from the rear since they were new.... so whats the best route to removing them?

as well is it normal for the springs to be mounted below the axel?

both my 73 blazer and 78 f150/f100 were/are mounted below

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:02 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

so today's list goes like this

new coil... as the old one purged its oil all over the fender and intake side of the truck and killed the truck dead in its tracks
(installed new coil and barely hit the start position and it fired immediately)
pulled a voltage regulator, and stereo out of a 76 luv base in the yard... that solved lack of a stereo and fixed the charging light issue
as well as a set of speakers

now a new issue theirs buzzing through the speakers with the cycling of the fuel pump... (starts as soon as the truck turns on and increases and decreases with rpm... so is this a voltage issue or ground (i have 14.4v at the ignition power wire to the stereo and a good crimped ground)

also while waiting for the gf to get off work @ 1 to go to the junk yard... (was planning to pull a rear end doors and a fender off a 76)

i got most of the truck in to primer and rust blocker... next is clearing the 300# of sandbags out of the bed and get it lined and under coated as well as trace the reverse light wires....

next is replacing the bushings in the shocks as there all dried up but the shocks are working fine... did notice that at some point some one had removed the second leaf in the stack (there's 2 luvs's in the yard a 76 and a 79 4x4 and both had the same spring setup so i might pull a leaf and see if it raises the rear back up)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:16 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

this is more a list of things that i have done/ problems i have encountered more for my record then anything...

ok got some more parts from the yard (its on my way home from work)

got a blower motor and a windshield washer pump

with assistance of the truck in the yard i found the temperature sensor and hooked the wire back up... truck runs a bit cool on the highway and a bit warm in town...

had to take a pair of non serrated pliers and squeeze the tips of the sprayers so they would fan out the spray... i was getting spray about 6' over the top of the cab...

cleared out the bed put the busted sand bags in to old feed bags had laying around...

i pulled the stereo/antenna out of my 78 ford and installed it to the luv (not like you could hear the radio over the rusted out exhaust anyways) yay tune-age..

will get the cab cleaned out a bit tomorrow and get some updated pics up...

though apparently i have a broken/rusted wire in the harness to the passenger side as today the passenger side was much brighter then the driver (high beam and low beam) and the right blinker worked with them on...???

tomorrow i am suppose to get off work really early so the gf is going to give me a hand getting the doors off the truck in the yard... will grab the ignition switch as well and take them in and have a key cut to match (hopefully)... drivers door lock sticks and i look like an idiot jiggling the lock to get it to pop up... both doors are rusted out @ the bottoms and the driver side hinges are shot as well (gotta lift the door syndrom) as well the driver door is slightly twisted...

now on to less pertentant things...

i have to deal with down the road

reverse lights still don't work.. i don't have any voltage to the sockets @ all...

need to get weather stripping for the new doors to reduce road noise

put some sort of protection down on the floor of the cab other then the beige carpet thats in there
to prevent further rusting or rusting out of the floor boards...

rocker panels/front clip need to be replaced and or cut out and reweld some places (gives me a reason to buy a welder and learn to weld i guess)

sound deadening on doors and possibly the fire wall and floor

have a slight exhaust leak at the manifold flange because back yard mechanics use muffler clamps and a hammer to install the new rear exhaust... (possibly new exhaust?) i can put my hand over the exhaust tip and the gas exits else where...

need to get automotive carpet

shifter boot is a bit torn up and not installed properly... either replace it or install it properly

seats angles either need to be welded in place or i need to pull them off and file some more groves so i can tilt the seat up more so i can move the seat back another 4" on the sliders and give me more leg room... as well possibly have the seats redone with a thinner back and a higher rise on the front... more leg room is always a plus in a vehicle this size

p.s. took back the stereo i got the other day because the radio wasn't working and well i needed the blower motor and windshield washer sooner then later... and the fords been parked a wile...

will probably end up scavenging the seat belts out of the ford as well (there a bit longer) and cant afford $50/piece for new ones and have to have 3-point

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:29 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

still haven't picked up the doors or the fender.. been kind of busy but thought i would get the pictures up if you cant tell i hate chrome... first it requires to much work to keep shiny, second its shiny and detracts from the lines of the truck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:31 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

fixed the issue i was having with the passenger side headlights being dim.. some one used nylon washers to connect the load ground to the fender...

hopefully the new blower motor i picked up today woks... this will be unit #4... 75, 76, 79 luv new one is out of an 85 trooper pulled it apart at the yard to make sure the copper where the brushes contact wasnt burned like the ones in the luv... cleaned it out let it sit to dry for an hour and reassembled... works on all 3 speeds...

noticed that when im driving in town (3 blocks from freeway to work) engine builds temprature to mid range on guage... driving down the freeway im running just above cold.... anything i can do other then place cardboard over 3/4 the radiator?

still need to replace doors and rockers and get new door seals to reduce road noise and draft... found out that much of the core supports (front clip) driver side wheel well material isnt remaining neither is much of inner fender attached to it

but over all other then the coil going out havent had a problem with the truck running since i cleaned the fuel tank, replaced the fuel pump, and rebuilt the carb just rolled over 1100 miles on the truck since i bought it (78k and change) (found out that my ear tuned timing enables the truck to start when you leave the head lights on for 2 hours at the junk yard and voltage drops below 10volts)
barely made 1 slow revolution and fired over

ok now on to other things since this motor has good compression on all cylinders and is running good a swap isnt in order till it goes out... so till then the search is for better gas milage...

so then that goes to fixing half the crap under the hood that isnt pertenant to operating the vehicle in an area that isnt emissions controled... so all the lines to and from the air pump are shot so i removed the belt the next step is removing the air pump and the crap in the exhaust... as well as all the unneeded vacuum lines...

so realistically all i need is the one goint to the vacuum advance and the others can be cut off and plugged?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:12 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

couldnt stand driving with out a tach so i picked up a $40 one tonight... said to wire it to the negative side of the coil.... but wasnt getting any signal so i wired it to the positive side and got signal... so then the question is my coil wired backward?

Does the balist resistor wire to the positive or negative side of the coil?

also i wired the tach light to the low beam for now... till i can find a store that will sell me a single inline splice...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:29 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

ok so i stopped at my friends tonight as i don't have a timing light or a dwell meter (he's ASE certified) pull the timing light and the marks were 0.5*-1* off (~13* tdc) and dwell was spot on..... not bad for tuning an engine by ear... hahaha

i was getting a 250 rpm spike on the tach intermittently regardless of rpm so i swapped the wires on the coil (balist resistor to positive side of coil (and another wire for cranking power 12.2v ) and black/red stripe on negative and tach signal)

not only solved the issues with rpm spike on the gauge but smoothed out acceleration...

i did notice tonight after swapping the wires on the coil that the torque band kicks in right around 1800rpm which requires me to ride the clutch a bit while taking off in traffic (its about like taking off with roll control in an automatic) also i did notice that cruising @ 70mph im only tacking out @ 3800

things we know
its a 1976 so it has 4.11 gears, tires are a 195-75/14 (25.5), rpm @ 70mph = 3800 sounds about right...