LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My First LUV!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:12 pm 

Hey All...

I'm Myles!

I've been a part time hobbiest and shade-tree mechanic for the past two years; focusing, most specifically on first generation Mazda Miatas and RWD Volvos. Not having a Miata for over the past year, I've compensated by engine swapping my '79 Volvo 242, using a later model redblock Volvo motor, with a healthy turbocharger system. She's currently under the knife, for a revised top end, new upgraded turbocharger system, stand alone engine management, custom tuned suspension and a new drivetrain, consisting of a TrueTrac LSD and a Borg-Warner T5 transmission from a 5.0L Ford Mustang.

For the past two months, I've found myself content traveling exclusively by fixed gear road bike. That was until I purchased my first LUV, Chevy LUV that is.

I should ask my friend the detailed story one more time, just to know for myself, but this LUV was stashed in a field for a while, till he was asked to help revive it. The owners lost interest and gave it to him and a clutch slave cylinder and some carburetor adjustments later, he had a running driving car!!! Things have changed in his life, and he got a newer car and wanted to part with this one. I spent the last week searching for Volvo after Volvo and nobody seemed to want to make a deal...until I got a text, out of the blue, from my friend, giving me first dibs on his '75 Chevy LUV.

I didn't hesitate...I'll take it...NOW!!! So after class, last night, he picked me up and drove me to it's resting place in Sonoma. A quick walk-around in the dark and I was hooked...got in and drove her home, but not before a quick stop to the gas station to clear off the windscreen; the tank was half full so I cruised.

A little rough around the edges, well yeah, maybe, but it's a solid, running, driving, SMUG Exempt Chevy LUV.

I couldn't be more excited!!!

I drove it to work today, and in my downtime, I managed to wire in the tachometer that was hanging on the steering column. The car's wiring is a mess, but I'll get to that...it runs and drives, which is important, but no interior lights work, nor do the wipers and I need to wire in my stereo. I swept out the bed, got some cool license plate frames from my friends at the Volvo shop, properly fit the Mexican seat blanket, which came with the truck, and sealed the 9/32" hole that had been drilled in the roof...so I've got no leaks to worry about. When I got home, I gave her a bath and she's slowly starting to shine. :D

I'm surprised with just how well it actually drives...It's got manual steering and it feels, well, not tight, but it's responsive and has a good weight to it. The truck feels very well balanced and nimble...which I did not expect at all! The motor, too, has well, enough power for now. It's by no means fast, but not the most anemic thing I've driven either. The first couple things I'd like to do is the late model front disc brake upgrade, with some stainless steel lines, and I'd like to find a set of Bilstein HD shocks to replace what's on there now...I've just got to start measuring shocks to find a set that'll fit. I've got to spend some time, reseaching options and sources for replacement bushings, as most, if not all are cracked and look pretty well shot.

It's my first Pick-Up Truck and Carbureted car, all in one!!!

So, LUVTruck.com, may I introduce myself as Mylesofsmyles and meet my new ride, Donata (came with personal plates, so it's adopted the name)

Last edited by mylesofsmyles on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My First LUV!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome to the site...

FIAA!

SFPP!

Post subject: Re: My First LUV!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:19 pm 

mytmouz wrote:
Welcome to the site...

:D

Thanks...looks like it's the best place for the LUV. :lol: Maybe the only place...excited about this, YES I AM!!