LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: had one...buying another
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:35 pm 

I use to have a 80 Luv, (my first vehicle) I had to sell to pay bills and get married. Now 10 years later, I've been trying to find a Luv with no luck. Either they're stock but in really bad condition or they've had too many upgrades and asking too much. I finally found a 72 stock in great condition for $800 that I found in Craigslist with a spare set of rims and a good looking camper that I'll be buying tommorrow. I'm just a lil hesitant on fixing the 1.8 engine or swap it for a different one. Also the 72 cames with a 4drummer and that will be one of my first swaps and the electric distributor.
I spend a lot of time reading LUVTruck forums and seen great info for my future plans. Thanks in advance...

Does any one knows what is the 72 stock engine????G200, G180 and pros and cons compared to newer Luv models??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:57 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

the engine in the first couple of years of luv is completely different than later years,72 -74 I believe.it has the intake and exhaust on the same side.not exactly practical.the g 180 engine,1975-1980 is the one most people on this site who choose to keep the 4 banger deal with.read the drive train upgrades thread and you will see what I mean, I think its all g 180,virtually nothing about the first series engine,I dont even know what #'s you refer to it as lol !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:00 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Oh yeah please post your location on your profile,youll' get more reply's to your questions especially if someone lives near you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:27 pm 

1972 through 1975 had the 75hp 1.8L engine. 1976 and up had the 80hp G180. If you are just wanting a daily driver to putt around in, the early engine should be fine. Should you decide to start upgrading, the early engine has virtually no aftermarket and a G180 cannot be bolted directly in place. For the money, I think you would be better off going the V6/V8 route. Just my two cents.