LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:23 pm 
I have been offered a free 78 LUV long bed. It's previous owner passed away this past year, and the truck has been sitting for six months with a cracked block. I want it, b/c its a long bed and has a nice camper shell on it. Funky yellow, and the body is in good shape. I was super psyched to find this site. If I take this vehicle, I'm gonna need some advice. To start with. What should I expect to spend on a motor, or a block at minimum? Thanks so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:40 pm 
Step-side Guru

and where are you located

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:01 pm 
I am located in the beautiful town of Bishop, CA in the Eastern Sierra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:30 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome, great find for you, but sorry to hear somebody past. We are here for all your questions!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:20 am 
Thanks. This site is incredible, quiet a membership. A bit more about this LUVs story. It was owned by a friend of a friend, named Raleigh. Raleigh was really into rock climbing and hang gliding. He traveled in his LUV, someimtes with the hanglider strapped to the top, living in it for weeks at a time. He really loved climbing around Joshua Tree, Yosemite and Bishop. I met Raleigh once bouldering at the Happy Boulders in Bishop. He was a crack-up, really gregarious. Sadly, Raleigh had a tough time with his life after this. He suffered from depression and alcoholism. He commited suicide last winter in Joshua Tree, by jumping from the top of his favorite climb. So dark and twisted. I felt a lot of pity for Raleigh, that he was so tortured. He didn't really have any family to give his truck to, so it wound up with his frined Bob, who wants the truck to have a happy home... where it will get to go on more adventures. Somehow, when I saw the happy little truck with LUV on the side at Bob's house, I felt the need to take it. This is going to be a big experiment for me, and will take some time, but I'm excited to get this truck on the road. I will take a picture of the little guy and post it here when I can. Thanks to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:22 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome to the site. We are here to help.

Boy, if that LUV could talk huh? :)

Some one on here should have at least a buildable block for you and then just find a machine shop to rebuild it for you. I would guess it will cost from $1000 to $1500 for the rebuild.

While its apart, I would spend another $500 and have the transmission rebuilt too.