LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tranny problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:09 am 

I have an '82 2x4 5 speed with a broken tranny case. What can i do to fix it. No other trannys exist in my area, everyone i ask say " you have a what! Ha Ha Ha Ha!! Good luck" its quite disheartning. Please someone help!!! I live in the the Springfield, MO area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:39 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Do you mean the physical transmission case is broken? Are the internal gears, bearings, etc fine? Usually the internal parts are what goes bad first in these Isuzu 5-speed diesel transmissions. That's really a shame the local people are giving you answers like that. They really should be more open to help you out in my opinion. I've gotten responses like that more than one time. Here is a website that really could help you out and they will come up with results for an 81-87 5-speed diesel transmission for sure. The website is http://www.car-part.com I am sure there are yards out there by you that will have one according to this website's results. If the internals of your transmission are iffy I'd suggest to buy a solid transmission you can put right back in the truck or get a case and rebuild the internals yourself. Oh and since you own a LUV diesel feel free to also visit and join http://www.isuzupup.com because there are great people/owners over there that can help you out too. I believe there is a guy on there right now that may have a spare 5-speed for sale or I'm sure another member could sell you a case. Good luck and I hope I've helped.

Salvy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:33 am 

Thanks for the info! I picked up the pieses from the tranny shop that opened it up today and found out that it was the bell houseing that just had a crack in it but a bearing on the shorter shaft failed and that same shaft broke sooo i wonder if the bell housing could just be welded and maybe i could get another shaft to rebuild it. Or like you said maybe get a tranny from a guy from the isuzu site. Thanks again :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:50 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Great to see that the crack was only on the bellhousing. That makes it a minor issue and I'm sure highly possible to be fixed. The good thing is it won't leak fluid out of the trans given it was cracked that forward on the trans. Glad I could offer you help and that's what other members are here for. :D Make sure you take a visit to the Isuzu PUP website and join too, it's a great site for our model of trucks.