LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I love turbo's
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:46 pm 

when i found my 82 diesel luv a turbo was my first thing to look for since i have a turbo on my 2003 Suzuki GSXR but while my bike like the luv has great fuel mileage. the turbo on the bike made the fuel go from about 35-40 mpg to just 15mpg on just 6psi.. so a turbo would work, it would prob. kill the mpg. I just went through my first half tank and the luv got 39mpg so iam not messing with that not with fuel prices going up and up and up..just me 2cents. oh but it did increase hp from 135rw to about 220rw on the bike :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:21 pm 

I am gonna say that there is a distinct possibility on the LUV that there could be an INCREASE in MPG. Black smoke equals raw fuel not being burned. Most LUVs put out their fair share :lol: Turbo forces more air...burns fuel more efficiently. Now granted it will use more fuel if you keep the hammer down (ala your bike) But with regular driving, I would almost bet on more...definitely stay close...not fall off tremendously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:50 pm 

gixerdevil

Just curious...have you ever heard of the 700hp Busa?

Here is one link: http://www.gizmag.com/go/3838/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:05 pm 

On a diesel you will see an increase in MPG IF you can keep your foot out of it. The idea behind a turbo on a diesel is like was said earlier: more air forced into the engine makes more available oxygen which makes a more complete burn. You will make small amounts of power increases but won't see a WHOLE lot of difference until you add more fuel of some sort to overcompensate again. There's no way that the diesel injection pump is gonna put any more fuel into the engine than what the pump is set on for certain pedal positions. The reason that you lost fuel economy on that gasoline motorcycle is because a gasoline mixes the amount of fuel proportional to the amount of air you force in which means that if you add a turbo it's gonna add lots more fuel. Diesels are preset to the amount of fuel it's gonna add so bring on the turbos and don't worry about fuel economy. It should go up and bring you a little more power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:08 am 
Addicted to LUV

Just for thought the diesel rabbit got about 40-45 mpg stock but with a turbo would get close to 60 you do the math. A friend of mine 20 years a go had a turbo'd rabbit and went to Niagara Falls on his honey moon and averaged 60-62 mpg in that rabbit back then the fuel was a lot cheaper but he made the trip from Portland Ore, at a cost of $65.00.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:56 am 
Addicted to LUV

Keep in mind that Isuzu had to strengthen the rods after they added the turbo option in '86 (for good reason). The injection pump also got a device to automatically compensate for boost.

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:36 am 

so what kind of turbo would a guy have to buy and what would you have to buy along with it, just to make the turbo work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:27 pm 

One thing you need to keep in mind that in a gas engine with a turbo you usually need to add extra fuel to keep the mixture from going too lean. Don't know if diesels are the same but with gas engines adding boost without adding fuel is a recipe for burnt pistons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:09 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

ok a couple questions. I got a T3/04 turbo in my shop. I would like to put this on the little Isuzu but is it too much? Will it spool up fast enough, what is the redline of these engines and how much boost will they take stock form a non turbo'd engine? Is there a way to adjust the fuel delivery on these injection pumps?