LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:19 pm 

Hi folks, I'm new to the LUV world and have a question.

I just picked up an 82 Diesel LUV 4x2 with a blown 5 speed transmission but a decent engine and body for a dollar (good deal!). We took out the transmission last night and knew it was trashed when I drained it and out flowed a nice steady stream of gear oil and metal bits. I cracked the case and sure enough the countershaft bearings went south and trashed the seats (and the gears... and the countershaft... and the case).

So, after spending all morning on the phone with junkyards trying to find a transmission for this (no luck) and after reading the horror stories of the 5 speed zu transmission, I'm leaning towards swapping in the T5 that came with the S10 diesels.

A few questions before I dump any money into this.

First, the LUV has a cable clutch while the S10 has a hydraulic. How did you work around this? I don't have the T5 and appropriate bellhousing yet but I want to make sure I have a decent list of parts I'm going to need before I go dumping money.

Are there any mount issues with the T5? Am I going to need to fab a new rear mount for the tranny?

The clutch and pressure plate. Are they the same in the LUV and S-10 and if not, which do I use?

Is the shifter mount in the same space or am I going to need to cut a new hole for it?

And lastly, I have a lead on a 4x4 diesel LUV transmission. Would this be able to mount up to the engine and if so can I just leave the transfer case there in the vain hope I come across 4x4 front end one day. It wouldn't be my first choice, but only a stop gap.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie :)

Post subject: pulling out hair...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:25 pm 

I've spent the past 2 days calling just about every boneyard in the country looking for this transmission/bellhousing to no avail. They either had the gas s-10 transmission or the isuzu 5 speed.

Anyone have any leads/ideas? I'm flumoxed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:56 pm 
Step-side Guru

try this
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
well looks like the link wont go ...so here you go guys good luck
1985 Transmission
Chevy S 10 REBUILT,5SPD,DIESEL,200.00 CORE 20AFTR $860 Albany Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-GA(Albany) E-mail 800-873-1669

Transmission
Chevy S 10 2.2 DIESEL 5SPD 05E-29 $450 Trails End Auto and Truck Salvage, Inc. USA-IA(Des-Moines) Request_Quote 1-800-717-6505

Transmission
Chevy S 10/S15/Sonoma (S10S15) (5SPD) M.T. 4X2 dsl 00060111 $250 Auto Recycling Inc USA-PA(Coplay) E-mail 1-610-799-3234

Post subject: tried it...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:10 pm 

I called up most of the places on the list and sure enough the transmissions they had weren't for the 2.2L (unless the chevy had the starter on the passenger side, in which case I'm totally flumoxed).

How many splines does the input shaft have for that tranny? One place had the t5 with 10 splines and the starter on the pass side. Another had 20 splines with the starter on the pass side. Am I correct in assuming that neither of these are the correct bellhousing mate for the 2.2?

I've got to call the GA place tomorrow (didn't get around to them because I'm cheap) but I got around to most of the other places with no luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:13 pm 
Step-side Guru

I know nothing about these but maybe if 800xl sees this he might know and be more help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:38 pm 

The T5 transmission was used in many different applications, from Mustangs and Camaro's to older Jeep Cherokee's and of course the Chev S series vehicles, and lots of other uses. There were some differences between them; gearing, gearshifter location, etc, plus there were 2 main classes of them; World Class, and New World Class. Too much to go into here (a Google search will yield you MUCH info :D ), however one nice thing was the T5 had a removable bellhousing. This means with the right adapter you can mate it to many different engines.
I have a transmission out of a gas S10 in my truck now and it fit right in (with the proper bellhousing of course). Splines fit the clutch that was there. I did have a 4 speed from a diesel in there for a short while, and the splines were identical. I used the same clutch for both.
I can't tell you if a Isuzu clutch and the T5 clutch were the same, however. I'm thinking the clutch plate may be the only difference anyway.

Good luck with the repair. :smt023

Post subject: thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:04 pm 

I did some more searching and the only difference I can see clutch wise is that the S-10 clutch has 14 splines while the zu has 24.

that found out, finding this bellhousing has become a real headache. makes me want to search for hodaka parts ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:48 am 

Is there any reason or advice about the T56 6 speed fitting as well as the T5?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:11 pm 

How do I go about changing from hydraulic to cable once I find the illusive bell housing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:33 am 
Addicted to LUV

Have you considered using a later model Isuzu transmission? They beefed them up in '88. They're much more easily interchanged--no special bell housing required.

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:09 pm 

It has to be the Diesel bolt pattern. Do they bolt up as easily as the original. Why would every-one be looking for the older 5 speed tranny or trying to mix and match if they interchange? Probably a lot of stupid questions, but I would rather ask then dive in ill-prepared.
Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:07 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

What part of Oregon are you in? This truck is in LaPine, it's not mine. Not sure how much you are looking to invest in your truck, but this might be worth looking into?

http://bend.craigslist.org/car/391775374.html

If you are in the PDX metro area, maybe this one?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/391328961.html

Either of these engines/transmissions should go right in your truck, but please confirm that with the rest of the board before you commit to a purchase. Good luck :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:08 am 
Addicted to LUV

spacecabdiesel wrote:
It has to be the Diesel bolt pattern. Do they bolt up as easily as the original. Why would every-one be looking for the older 5 speed tranny or trying to mix and match if they interchange? Probably a lot of stupid questions, but I would rather ask then dive in ill-prepared.
Terry

Terry,

Sorry, I think you're involved in a similar discussion over at IsuzuPup.com so I won't rehash the whole thing here.

The newer 5-speeds from the 2.3 gas engine will bolt up to the diesels, but you MUST use the bellhousing from the diesel. You must also use a different slip yoke, but I don't recall which one. The newer transmission has different gearing, which can be a good thing. However, this will seriously skew your speedometer and odometer if not corrected. I don't know if the diesel speedometer gear will fit into the gas transmission, but if not, there's a Borg-Warner speedometer adapter available.

You may have seen it already, but here's a good thread with more info:
http://www.isuzupup.com/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:27 pm 

Thanks Joe, That is the rout I am leaning toward. 93 gasser, auto slip yolk, diesel front case, speedo adaptor, and back on the road.
Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:54 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

nukeday wrote:

I have been thinking of buying that one. I wonder if its still there. I really would like to have one to put into my luv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:59 am 

I got a 1995 gasser tranny today for $175. It has only 89,000 miles and is spotless. It bolted right up to my diesel front case no problem, I even salvaged the seals! The speedo housing unbolts easily also and the diesel one slid right in so my speedo should still be acurate! All I need to do now is get a gasser auto slip yolk and attach it to the existing U joint and put it back in the truck :D . Should be back on the road later today, Saturday. :D Thanks for all the info, it realy has been a life saver.
Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:39 am 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

ok i gotta question about the trannys is the 2wd diesels the ones with the removable bellhousing. I have a 4wd diesel tranny and it doesnt look like its removable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:40 pm 

The only diesel truck with an Isuzu engine that had the removable bell housing was the diesel chevy S10. I drove my truck today and although the speedo is not as badly off as it would have been with the gasser gear, it still seems to read 5 MPH slow. Man what a difference! Lower 1st gear, lower 2nd, about the same 3rd, same 4th, and a tiny bit higher Overdrive.
Very tight and quiet.
Thanks again guys.

OH! By the way, the older LUVs from the 70s have the right front slip yolk with the same size driveline diameter, so I just cut it off and welder it on my old driveline. $45 at the wrecking yard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:49 am 

Sorry, misspoke, not lower gears, Higher 1st, second, 3rd. 4 mph off, and even with the trouble figuring out the real miles, getting better milage.
Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:05 am 

The newer transmission has different gearing, which can be a good thing. However, this will seriously skew your speedometer and odometer if not corrected.

I discovered too late that the speedo drive gear that is on the output shaft should be swapped with the original diesel gear as well as the speedo driven gear and housing. Now I will suffer with 1/10 mile less being racked up for each mile, and the added complications in calculating the MPG and rate of travel. Swapping this out while the front case was split off the tranny would have been simple since the rear case was ready and willing to slide off as well, and I had to hold it on by wrapping the output shaft with a rag and placing some vice-grips on it to keep it in the rear case. I will probably fix this soon since I am really driving her a lot, and loving every trip so much.
Terry[size=18]
[/size]