LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tachometer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:50 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

I was looking at chiltons repair manual for the 82 diesel luv engine nad noticed on the fuel pump there's a plug in the side of it, and there's another plug that you can get and hook upto a tach. I was wondering if lil' blue or someone had one of these tachs and plugs or where i could get such?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:14 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Here is some information out of Auto Meter's Catalog.

Performance Series
Pedestal mount Diesel Tach up to 5000 RPM
A small inductive pickup probe straps to the alternator
It has a black face, red pointer.

Size: 2 5/8" P.N.: ATM-2888
You can get it at Summit Racing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:44 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I am wondering if this tachometer would be extremely accurate since it is run by the alternator? If it is, I think I might just buy one for my truck because it would be pretty simple to install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:32 pm 
A marine diesel tach will work off the alt and can be calibrated to be quite accurate. The one in my truck shows to 4000rpm so most of the dial is used on a regular basis.
I set mine up with a manual tach off the crank, and at any rpm was acurate...idle to 3500 anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:44 pm 
Hey zachmac i was wondering if you could do some more explaining how you have you manual tach rigged and possibly post a few pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:06 pm 

The manual tack is a hand-held type that looks a lot like an old stop-watch. You have to hold it against the spinning crank, then click the button, and the needle will rotate around the dial until it stops at the current rpm. I have checked it with a digital type, and it is accurate.
I'd post some pics, but as you can tell, it's only for set-up purposes only, not permanent install.
To be honest, I'd guess a manual, cable-driven tach would be noisy to some degree, it that means anything to you. Some people wouldn't care or hear the noise.
There also is the "Tiny Tach" that runs off of a pick-up that clips to a injector line, but it is a small numerical readout, unlike a analog, dial type. Just Google "Tiny Tach", and I'm sure you'll find info quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:19 pm 

I'm just going to buy the stock tach that came with the newer pups, it runs off the injection pump. I'll need a section of the wiring harness though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:11 am 

Finalman--

I have an instrument panel with a tach in my truck that I found in a wrecking yard. These were used in the 'upper dress level' trucks. Not sure what years.

If your truck has EGR on it you will already have the sender in your injection pump as the EGR module requires this speed info. If not you may be able to find this in a wrecking yard or at a local fuel injection shop which might just have ton of old core pumps around.

The tach requires only one wire from the sender to drive it. If you do have the EGR (as mine does) you can tap into the sender wire as it enters the EGR module under the left side of the dash.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:02 am 

No, it's an 82 which only has a blow-by hose on it.

Post subject: Tach
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:05 am 

Finalman--

Well then, its likely that your injection pump will have neither the sender nor a threaded hole for the sender, which will make the use of an original tach much harder.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 am 

It's got the hole for the sender, but it's got a bolt going in it, i looked at a chilton's diagram and all the c223's use the same injection pump, but if it's an earlier truck (like mine) it has a bolt in that hole, but if it's something like a 87' c223T then it'll have the sender on the pump.

Post subject: Tachometer
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:10 am 

Finalman--

The hole is good. Many '82's and up also used the sender, either for EGR control or for a tach, sometimes both. And, I think, other vehicles used this sender as well. So, you may be able to find one at your local fuel injection shop.

Paul